main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Do you think more people will warm up to the ST 15-20 years from now?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Jun 15, 2021.

1. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Who says he has to be, to not be given what I think of as side plot C, and be tossed around into a story that is moreso used as a plot device at the end? I think his story in TLJ doesn't have a lot of personal substance for the character of Finn.

I think Finn wasn't really in charge. He was led around by Rose and talked at by Rose about things. And he wasn't nothing but comic relief in TFA. I think he had several situations of drama for his character. He had comedy, as well, but off the top of my head, only a few comedic scenes really stand out, to me, like Chewie choking him and the "i'm in charge now phasma" moment. I'd suggest his drama in TFA is more palpable and deeper than his drama in TLJ.

I've said as much before, but I'm tempted to call Finn's entire structure a filler arc. It's basically killing time to get him to be a rebel at the end. It's like if TESB started right after ANH and Han was like, "Nah, I only helped you, because I liked you Luke. And that Leia is pretty smokin'. But the rest of this, eh." And then the movie spent another 2 hours getting him to being a rebel. Why not? ANH doesn't have Han say or show that he really cares about the cause of the rebels. Why not needlessly outstretch that arc, for whatever reason?

Both characters of Han and Finn have a conclusion at the end where they put their neck out on the line helping people they've connected with, in the interest of stopping a planet destroying weapon. But for some reason, Finn's motives are the only one's we've gotta question at the beginning of the next movie and spend 2+ extra hours getting to heroism. How about Finn just wakes up, feels conflicted about the whole thing still, but agrees to help. Instead of relegating back to HAHA funny man, until TLJ can do it's own version of what I think is a very similar arc as the previous movie, but slightly different.

Finn was already doing things that weren't about Rey in TFA, and had his own connections. And he doesn't give the rebels a pep talk. He makes a declaration of going to help Luke. It's not heeded. Because... something, something, people shouldn't risk their lives for people.
    Considering I think TLJ didn't do a lot to build on his stormtrooper connections, on a personal character based level, I think it would've not fully consistent to do that.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Finn did not have to be Rey’s sidekick. He could have been her partner. That dynamic could have been further developed/progressed after he woke up from his coma and they reconnected. Instead we got him running away again and being tazed and lectured by Rose. Johnson treated him like he was too stupid to recognize that the cause of the Resistance was a good one by the end of TFA.

Then Abrams followed that up by having him scream Rey’s name throughout TROS. That did not have to happen either.

3. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    I was actually referring to the scene before that when he urged the disillusioned survivors to not give up. I think his character matured, as Poe matured, and also Rose, who realised life is more important than kamikaze missions, after starting the film as a bit of a fanatic.

4. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    Actually they were separated by the end of TFA; Finn was still recovering from his injuries and Rey was off to Acht To, and that was JJ's idea not RJ's.

Lot of 'J's around with these films, I've noticed.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, they were separated at the end of TFA, hence why I said “and they reconnected.” That reconnection could have happened much sooner in TLJ. That warm hug, as fantastic as it was, could have been and should have been earlier in the film, and without Finn getting lectured and tazed by Rose.

Early in the film, Rey should have told Force projection Kylo to bugger off (unequivocally so, not the “I’ll change my mind if he tells me a bull**** story and makes a sad face” version that we got). Then she should have taken the Falcon and Chewie and gone back to Leia, telling her that her brother was stubborn and preferred to stay on his pity pot so they would have to fight without him for the time being. Then let Force projection Kylo and Luke figure out their crap on their own, without Rey doing her so-called womanly duty to try to fix angsty men.

Then Finn and Rey could have been reunited without the side plot. And no, Finn should not have been trying to escape when Rose tazed him; that was another example of Johnson insisting on making Finn dumb.

6. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    Wonder how entertaining that would have been?

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Very entertaining, much more than what we got.

8. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    I think it's a good idea for us all to write our own version of the ST, doesn't matter if it's rubbish, and never gets printed on Archive of our Own, it's amazing therapy, I've done it loads of times, allow I'm the only one who ever reads them!!

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  9. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Personally i have never believed a Stormtrooper rebellion would have worked. Even TFA decided not to acknowledge that any of the troopers mattered except Finn. because if they mattered it would have made watching them be killed abit tragic. when it wasn't meant to be tragic. no one watched Episode 4 and felt bad for the troopers. so why would JJ want to introduce that element into Star Wars now?

IMO Finns story should have been about putting a stop to whatever system was in place for kidnapping children or whatever it was. maybe even finding out some details about how that system works. but i ain't even sure JJ and Rian knew what that was about.

Def Trooper likes this.
  10. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Or had Chewie just pick up Luke and throw him into the smuggling hold. Frankly, Leia telling off Luke in person was overdue, espeially when Han was dead and Luke did nothing. Then again, that would have entailed thinking about a character other than Kylo, and remembering that Han was dead (which relates to point one).

11. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    It was extremely obvious as well as public knowledge (via the leaks) that Finn had additional, substantive story - with Jannah and with Rey - that was cut from TROS through no fault of JJ’s.

John does not blame JJ for the massacre of his character. Neither should anyone else blame him for DLF’s virulent racism.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I’d pay good money to see that.

ChildOfWinds and PendragonM like this.
  13. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    OK. Well, here's a modification on the logic of "If you're going a certain way, lean into it." This is not an original thought --I've said it here before, as have others--but Rey should have taken Kylo/Ben/whatever's invitation near the end of TLJ. You want subversion? There it is! It's the natural place to set some sort of third leg of the trilogy where they evade anyone pursuing them, go together to some sort of Force-rich place, deal with the legacy of the Jedi and the Sith, and determine who bends to the other's will. Meanwhile, the rather bland battle between the uninteresting First Order and the improbably scrappy band of Hey-Now-We're-Rebels marches on, perhaps in a more compelling way.

14. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    Yes, she should. because it would have been the last thing anyone expected.

15. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    TLJ was only faintheartedly subversive.

The clearest examples were, well, Luke, Kylo, and Rey.

Luke’s characterization rested on a retcon of his OT characterization - but that explanation was glossed over and zipped through. Instead of straight-out owning the retcon, TLJ buried it and relied on gaslighting instead.

TLJ worked to make Kylo sympathetic *but without actually saying he didn’t kill the students.* (It didn’t directly state he did kill them but that was still implied.) The movie just didn’t have the courage to stand behind this nee view of Kylo we were supposed to have by explicitly *justifying* it.

And then Rey - Kylo says Rey’s parents were drunken nobodies but the film never confirms this. I’ve seen the villain-reveals-harsh-truth trope before in films, and part of that trope is confirmation. (Yes - even ESB contains confirmation.)

This lack of commitment felt like TLJ trying to have things both ways. It feels troll-y because it combines attempts to needle and shock with a cowardly fear of the consequences of standing behind those decisions.

It makes it very hard for me to respect the film.

16. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Lukes characterization wasn't a retcon. calling it a retcon suggests no one can change in 30 years.

Thats the ST in a nutsell. not just TLJ.

17. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    I don't disagree with that or anything else you said. I only proposed what I thought would be the most interesting extension of where TLJ was heading.

18. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    As today's kids grow up and the TV shows expand on stuff from the sequel trilogy, I think people will warm up to the sequels, although not to the same extent as the prequels. Going by toy sales and box office performance, I think the MCU has resonated more with today's kids. The prequels had stiff competition (e.g. Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter) but they weren't blown out of the water in the same way that TRoS was by Endgame. Plus the prequels were made by George Lucas well before the controversial Disney acquisition.

So while I can imagine people won't hate it as much anymore, it's probably not going to be as widely beloved as the OT or PT.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  19. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I believe when you guys say this, you are not taking into consideration the huge lore the PT created. The Rule of Two, Palpatine's ascension to power, the creation of the clone army, Anakin's origins, the Clone Wars, Darth Bane... GL's mind was simply at its peak of creativity then. There is so much to tell even now, 16 years after ROTS was released.

What is the lore the ST has created? What is it for to see? How Luke wandered around the galaxy living adventures? That could apply to any other big SW character in the previous movies. In fact, LFL has needed to pair Luke with Grogu to make the prospect of seeing his adventures anything of interest.

The Rise of Kylo Ren tells much of what was interesting about the ST lore. Which speaks volumes about the whole thing.

20. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think this is a great idea for an abstract story… but would still leave Rey as a character out to dry. Kylo being selfish enough to forsake the main story and go off to prove his point makes sense; he’s a psychotic monster. *If* someone then wrote a story where Rey has a reason to join Kylo, it could work… but that’s a very tall order in the first place, and even taller if used as an actual prompt for the next film.

Though the problem for me is less the concept and more the Kylo aspect; if the “whoever” making the offer were some other Knight of Ren, Snoke, or mysterious interloper, than the idea with Rey becomes more interesting, particularly of the carrot offered to her is a way to be safe from Kylo and to save her friends afterwards. The issue isn’t that Rey could be tempted to explore the dark side; it’s that Kylo could be tempting to her in any way, shape or form.

I really can’t overstate how much having Reys perspective on Kylo make sense would have helped this story. Because her POV made sense in TFA, it wasn’t a problem, and it didn’t hamper the film getting so many rewatches and breaking so many records. Because it didn’t make sense in TLJ and the back half of TROS, it kind fo neutered the entire story; neither she as the hero nor Kylo as the villain could ever realize their potential even on just a basic functional level.

If a Batman movie just has him sympathizing with the Joker and the Joker taking advantage of that in a boring and bland way, you aren’t making an interesting Batman movie.

Fin McCool likes this.
  21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Amen to that!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2021
  22. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    There are some people that's going to accept anything with a Star Wars logo on it.

Disney/LFL lost their bet that being a large enough audience to sustain the IP.

Now they've turned the story over to Filoni - what GL wanted all along.

23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Uh....That's not what happened at all.

24. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I think if GL had wanted Filoni to be the creative head of LFL all along he would have built that into his contract with Disney.

Possible he wanted that provision and Disney said no but I’ve seen no evidence of that.

25. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    I mean, I’m not saying that he did or didn’t want Filoni at the forefront of creative control moving forward, but clearly he wanted himself to have to more creative control on the ST than what he actually got written in the contract, let alone what he was envisioning for other people.

Def Trooper, 2Cleva and ChildOfWinds like this.