main
side
curve

Saga Do you think we have already seen the "best" and "worst" SW films??

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Avnar, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Avnar

Avnar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Hello all, [face_coffee]

Do you think we have seen the best SW film that will ever be made and the worst SW film that will ever be made - Or do you think any of the new films can raise the bar higher, or lower the bar even further?? I assume most will just fall in the middle...

I understand personal opinion on this matter will change significantly... With sooo many fans there is bound to be someone that loves every single one of the films in a different order -BUT- taking the majority of rating sites/fan polls etc we are left with The Empire Strikes Back as the BEST Star Wars film and The Phantom Menace as the worst. (I understand there will be fans that have those two in the complete opposite order, and I respect that and mean no offence) "One mans trash is another mans treasure" and all that :cool:

*Full disclosure - I have ROTJ (or Rogue One) as Best and Revenge of the Sith as worst!*

Can you imagine a film being made that will top TESB in the minds of fans...? And what will it take?
    Can you imagine a film being made that will receive worse backlash than TPM did...? And what would it take?

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  2. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    As it now stands I for one can't imagine any SW film exceeding The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars (A New Hope).

Prior to watching TLJ a friend of mine felt that TPM was better. Having watched TLJ I'm desperately looking for arguments other than JarJar that my friend's verdict is wrong and inappropriate. :(

3. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    I don’t think anything will ever top the first two films.

However, I also don’t think we've seen the worst…unless you count The Star Wars Holiday Special. The Walt Disney Company will never make something that bad.

4. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The OT are my top films. ROTS and R1 come close.
    TLJ is my least favorite.

I don't know if any films will surpass the OT but I'm sure they might tie or come close to the OT.
    Worse than TLJ? I hope not but wouldn't be surprised.

EU and NEU books, comics, tv episodes and games come in all over the spectrum for me.

wobbits and Anakin's Daddy like this.
  6. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Probably haven't seen the worst but I can't really see a Disney movie matching Revenge of the Sith. Then again, I don't want to be one of those people that say "nothing will ever beat my favorite film! Never!" It's always possible. It's good to have an open mind when it comes to the films.

7. Avnar

Avnar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I never thought any SW film could ever make me feel the way I did towards the OT in general (Just didn't think it was possible) But wow, if rogue One didn't come damn close to making me feel the same way about it as the pedestal I put the OT on! =D=

I don't think Disney (and the current powers that be) will allow a film to be released that will cause outright rage - I think they would tinker, delay, re-structure etc until it's "passable" I am worried about films like Solo though...because you are releasing a film based around a character we have loved for years and there will be a minimal time gap between when the film takes place and when we meet him in ANH. But even with this film I think the worst I will feel is indifference [face_dunno]

When I watched parts of TPM I was legitimately cringing and sinking into my seat - I never want to feel that again :oops:That being said I used to think PT love was something that 12 guys on this site pushed and that everyone else "saw the light" but as I get older and you talk to fans in their early 20's there are a lot that grew up on the PT and THEY are SW to them...!! I went and saw TLJ with about 20 guys from work ages ranging from 20 - 45 and it was amazing to hear the spread of love and hate across all the films haha

Snafu55 likes this.
  8. Seagoat

Seagoat PT and Music Section Dictator star 6 Staff Member Manager

Jan 25, 2013
    As long as the concept of opinion exists, the answer is both yes and no

9. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    No and no, in my opinion. As bad as AOTC is, there could be worse films, and as great as TLJ, ANH and ESB are, there could be better films.

Darth Luch likes this.
  10. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I don't think we'll ever see something as bad as the prequels in terms of film-making (direction, acting, editing etc.), Kennedy and LFL are too focused on quality to let things get that bad again.

There's certainly room to create a better Star Wars film though. Something that's water-tight in the scripting.

Avnar and jaqen like this.
  11. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Hand of the Mod Squad and Enforcer of the Realm star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Just want to remind people to state their opinion in this threasd, but do not bash someone else's opinion.

12. TripleZero

TripleZero Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    I don't think anything can can outdo the ambition of ANH or the mature direction of ESB, but it's not impossible for subsequent films to come close to their great storytelling. Plus, every time a new Star Wars movie comes out, you always hear a lot more of "Best since Empire" in accolades and not so much "The Best Star Wars (This goes back to at least RotS from what I can remember.)

What has me thinking is that now we have movies coming off almost as if they're coming from an assembly line. We've had 3 within 2 years, along with Solo, Episode IX< Kenobi, a non-episodic trilogy, and a dormant Boba Fett movie line up. The people working on these films can have the best stories, and talent, but an environment where we get annual releases is detrimental to their creative process. Plus, we've had Phil Lourd, Chris Miller, and Colin Trevorrow removed from projects over "creative differences". This leads to to think that the potential of worse Star Wars movies to come out is more likely rather than better. Only time will tell though.

13. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Right now, I have a hard time imagining a Star Wars film that would surpass TPM for me, but next month, I might be saying the same thing about ROTS :)

The worst is yet to come.

14. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    For me, it is damn near impossible for any new movie to top The Empire Strikes Back and A New Hope. Having said that, TLJ and TFA are worthy successors to them. In terms of the "worst," we'll see. TPM currently holds that place for me.

Eternal_Jedi, Avnar and jaqen like this.
  15. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Since ESB was so easily bested by ROTS and TPM (and ANH by every film in the Original Sage save ROTJ), I think we maaaay see films better than it. In fact had R1 bothered to do some necessary character development (and add more Jimmy Smits), it could have surpassed those lower two. But it is highly unlikely that we will see a film better than ROTS or TPM, unless Lucas regains the franchise.
    As far as worst, there is apparently no limit to how bad the films Disney releases can be. I thought it was impossible to get worse than TFA and was expecting much better of TLJ..... I was so so wrong.

Visivious Drakarn likes this.
  16. ralfyman

ralfyman Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2018
    OT is the best, with ESB at the top. PT is generally dreary, with ROTS partially making up for that. R1 comes between OT and PT, and ST is the worse. Given that, we're seeing a downward trend, with R1 stopping it temporarily.

17. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I think younger audiences will come through & consider a movie like TLJ as the best one. For older viewers it's very hard to go past your childhood favorite. Which for me is TESB, & it still hasn't been topped.

TPM is mediocre at best. Even if they tried I don't they could do worse than that.

Avnar and jaqen like this.
  18. Dandelo

Dandelo Force Ghost star 7

Aug 25, 2014
    Do you think we've seen the best SW movie that will ever be? no

Do you think we've seen the worst SW movie that will ever be? no

19. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi WINNAR, CB DRAFT, CONQUEROR OF DP4M, also host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Sep 30, 2012
    My favourite is The Force Awakens. I wouldn’t be surprised if episode 9 is better.

My least favourite is The Phantom Menace (which I still love), but I don’t think anything will be worse than it.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  20. Alexrd

Alexrd Force Ghost star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I don't see anything surpassing Lucas' original hexalogy. I've seen worse, but is it the worst it will ever be? Unfortunately, probably not.

21. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Hand of the Mod Squad and Enforcer of the Realm star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I think the next thread we need to start will be "Have we seen the Worst in Star Wars fandom after TLJ?" :p

22. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    As of now, there's very little chance we'll get a movie that'll surpass AOTC. Lucas was at his best there; middle chapter of the PT, the characters and the story were in the middle, the visuals were breathtaking, the music superb. Lucas dared to make in the old fashion style, he wasn't pondering the fans, he made a movie he wanted and needed for ROTS to take place. It's a wonderful family and relationships story underlined with an image of a doomed galaxy and two youngsters. The fact that some in his LF doubted his work made the movie even better.

The worst? You can always make bad and worse SW movie, as Abrams and Johnson did. I think TLJ hit the bottom. It's so uninspiring, superficial, pale, hollow, pointless and small. A vast galaxy reduced to pathetic leader of the FO and a fistful of so called heroes in Falcon.

So, we got the best, the worst probably not.

23. mike778

mike778 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 9, 2012
    Its a personal thing.

But for me - I think the OT in general where just one of those times when you hit gold. You can't just magic this sort of stuff up (even with the force). So for me, I'd be surprised if any Star Wars film ever beats the Originals as a whole.

Re worst - I'm not sure if Disney will make a genuinely bad star film - they will make mediocre ones but with the budget and so on, I'm not sure we are going to see a disaster of AOTC/TPM proportions. So on that basis maybe we've seen the worst. I'd suspect that a number of the anthology films will be instantly forgettable so it depends on your definition of worst.

24. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I think it is very very unlikely that we'll ever get a new "best". They would really need a fantastic story executed in the perfect way. The original Star Wars and Empire are two of the best films ever made, which is exactly why Star Wars is so huge today.

Will they make a new worst? It certainly is possible, especially when some fans love TLJ. To me, TLJ is pretty bad... possibly the new worst. But I'm feeling cautiously optimistic that the worst is behind us.

25. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I don't see how anything will ever be able to top the original 6 so that is the best taken care of.

As for the worst there is no doubt that a corporation will sink to whatever depths to make money regardless of quality so no doubt over the years they will top themselves for the worst.

At some point someone will be in charge who says "Let's just slap Star Wars above the title and sell this thing that otherwise we wouldn't touch."