main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Do you view the Force in a cosmic or a spiritual light?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by kingrex0830, Jan 25, 2023.

1. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    I wonder if George Lucas' idea for the Whills in the ST might have explored the idea of the Force being the product of creatures with a "will" - not necessarily entirely benevolent or entirely malevolent, but perhaps both at once. Like an author writing stories and having to create both heroes and villains. Or, as Shakespeare's blinded Gloucester puts it in King Lear, "As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods;/They kill us for their sport."

Watcherwithin likes this.
  2. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    I`m kind of a force agnostic, to the point that I don`t even want answers. Just let character IU have all sorts of different opinions on what may be right and what isn`t but give no concrete answeres, you know, just like in Real Life.

Sith Lord 2015 and BlackRanger like this.
  3. kingrex0830

kingrex0830 Jedi Padawan

Jan 22, 2023
    100% agree. As long as what we see is consistent, having multiple conflicting answers allows so much exploration and depth.

4. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Cosmic. I would only add that U tend to older view that Light triumph over the Dark (ROTJ, TROS). GL intended for that till he added the Bendu idea of balancing the Force, which I must say seems more Lovecraftian in the guise of Eastern Religion that makes it all seem futile: why pick a side if it all shakes out and no one side wins.

The Lovecraftian view is bleak, and actually makes The Force seem totallt evil, playing with users like toys.

The Midi-chlorian/ science view that its alien microscopic life in your cells that makes you Force Sensitive and have great power feels Calvinist, “you have to be chosen.”

I prefer you can have an awakening, a moment when you spiritually connect to The Force. Abrams was trying to restore this view, alas, not perfectly.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I view it as an energy field created by all living things.

6. For me the Force is what Yoda told to Luke on ESB

anakinfansince1983 likes this.