main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Do You Want A Galactic Civil War TV Series? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by VexedAtVohai, Nov 17, 2022.

?

Do You Want A Galactic Civil War TV Series?

1. Yes

33 vote(s)
    63.5%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  3. Maybe So

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    The idea of a live-action series in the style of Andor, set during the time covered by the original trilogy, is one that has come up a lot lately, and is an idea that I believe deserves it own thread. It would allow the context of the classic films to be truly fleshed out in a way that it hasn't been before, while also continuing characters' stories from Andor.

What would you want to see in this hypothetical show? What would you hope they'd steer clear of? Is the whole concept a bad idea?

---​
    Personally, I'd love to see the "human" side of the Rebellion, Empire, and other factions explored during this time. What was Coruscant like between ANH and ESB? I'd also really like characters like Madine and Rieekan to appear for one scene, or even as supporting characters for an arc, where we get to see their perspective on galactic events — Rieekan especially, as an Alderaanian.

I'd like it to stay away from Luke, Han, Leia, Lando, Rex, Hera, etc. though. Qi'ra would be awesome to see again, but the comics present an obstacle there. It should, I think, be primarily about spies, soldiers, naval and ground battles, and the difficulties of running a galactic-scale war effort.

2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I would l give my left and right arm for this show. Make it happen, Lucasfilm. Gilroy is high on Star Wars, and now’s the time to lock him in.

I would surely be up for some shadowy or background cameos from OT or Rebels heroes, though. Done right it could send such a show to the stratosphere.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
  3. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Star Wars: Ralter

I kid, but Dak could absolutely work in that kind of show.
    I get the impression that Gilroy doesn't want to be tied to Star Wars for too long. I would love it too, but there are other options out there, it's just the willingness to take that punt which is needed. Another reason that Andor is great for the franchise, it shows Lucasfilm what is possible.

4. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    You can probably sketch out a nice broad series bible going from the early highs of post-Yavin attacks to the brutal comeback of the Empire pushing the Alliance to the Outer Rim/Hoth and then everything leading up to Endor/Jakku. You could feasibly show characters like Dodonna (they might as well, they already cast Ser Barristan Selmy), Hera, Rex etc and there are still ten Grand Admirals unaccounted for that they could use for arc villains.

It could work, it could really work.

5. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    A resounding and very loud "yes please!!" for a show like this - and at least five seasons long.

For me, the ideas and potentials are limitless. Commando / Special Ops forces going on missions; where the Cassian Andor character can show up for a few episodes - maybe even Saw.

X-Wing / Y-Wing / B-Wing / A-Wing squadrons running sorties into enemy ship yards - which would present the opportunity for a live-action debut of the Alphabet Squadron to play a supporting role in the narrative.

More spy-stuff. Not necessarily Diego if he's not available, but definitely guest appearances.

More in how Bail Organa becomes increasingly involved, more tensions in the Senate for other species (and big name characters) when they realise they'vd been played all along - and so on. Limitless potential.

This is just the Rebels. There are more stories there too with the Empire - for example, Inferno Squad.

The project would be huge in scope, but I think the Gilroy's and their teams of writers and directors have the abilities to ensure a quality production - Andor has proven this.

Just as long as they continue expanding all characters; whether they be the odd cameos from the Andor show, or all of the new ones that will come along. Like I said, the scope is massive and would continue to grow in scale with each new season, character and location - if they do everything justice with meaningful narrative and characterisation. But they can do it, I have the utmost faith.

I'm not sure if someone said it in here or whether I read it online, but it's like a universe within a universe. You have Mandoverse with the Mandalorian series and this would be Andorverse.

Etav Byx and Sarge like this.
  6. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    This would be incredible. Spies, soldiers, pilots, generals. Bring on the Gilroyverse.

7. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Completely agree.

It would be creating and bringing to live action those stories such as the Battlefront novel, Inferno Squad, Alphabet Squadron - even Legends-like stories such as all of those X-Wing novels. And this is just military let alone the spy networks, more of the ISB, etc.

So much potential!

Sarge and Palp_Faction like this.
  8. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Armand Isard could make his triumphant return back into canon storytelling replacing Yularen after being set in the Tarkin novel.

VexedAtVohai likes this.
  9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    That would be great, lets say they do 4 seasons for The Galactic civil war. 2 seasons between ANH to ESB, and one seasons each for Endor and Jakku. You can include all minor characters, maybe a recast Wedge. Mon Mothma be a major character as leader of The Rebellion after the deaths of Bail Organa and Saw Gerrera. See whats happening on Corucant when there is no senate anymore. Lets how The Empire deals with the loss of Military leadership. Palpatine has to rebuild a leadership Military goverment.

Palp_Faction likes this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    But right now, he seems really pleased with what he’s done with Andor. He sees the potential of telling stories in this sandbox. So now’s the time to try to get him committed to a new project. One where he has a lot of creative control. And continuing the story of the rebellion seems like a good option.

11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Season 2 of Andor might show us how he works with the connected universe. Like bringing Bail, Tarkin, Krennic. And maybe some animated characters. So a Galactic civil war tv show could work as Season 1 or Season 2 of Andor. Both seasons will be quite different. Tony Gilroy is now only thinking of doing season 2 of Andor.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Edited the title to prevent further heart attacks.

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I'd also love a show by Gilroy that takes place in the immediate aftermath of the fall of the Galactic Empire, with the New Republic trying to establish itself amid a chaotic environment of multiple factions, including Imperial holdouts, trying to establish a foothold.

14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    New Republic with Mon Mothma as Chancellor. And Empire holdouts all over and pirates, criminal syndicates trying to sow chaos. The 5 years between ROTJ and Mandalorian probably was filled with conflicts both political and on the front lines.

15. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    As much as I love the idea of a show set during the OT, I feel like I like this idea more. It's more uncharted territory and we've just seen so much of the rebellion. Then again, I thought that before Andor too and this show has definitely convinced me an OT-era show in this style would be great.

It would maybe be difficult without Leia though?

16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Wouldn't be too difficult, given the sheer scale of the rebellion. And of course, Leia could appear in brief and impactful cameos, as at the end of Rogue One. Either through keeping her face in the shadows, using deepfake tech, or simply recasting (I'm OK with the latter, though I know a lot of fans aren't).

17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Galactic civil war show you can do without Leia except some cameo episodes. Also she dosent become a rebel leader until we are closer to ESB. After ANH she is still seen as a Princess of Alderaan.

Its a show about the rise of a New Republic you need Leia and Mon as main characters. So i see that maybe as an animated show option.

18. Force Nexus

Force Nexus Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 22, 2022
    No. Enough with the OT. Enough with the Rebels and Stormtroopers. It's been 40 years. Let it go. That's my opinion. There is nothing new about it, neither narratively nor thematically.
    Do something new, maybe the Old Republic. Thousands of years before the movies.

19. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    This might be an unpopular opinion, but I would much rather have a TCW-style animated show centring around Luke, Han, and Leia, with a mix of animation regulars and new characters to support them than an Andor-style show set during the OT.

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I can see points for doing it and not doing at all. and if you do it, live action or animation. With animation you are free to use more of the legacy characters like Luke, Leia, Han and Lando.

21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    And yet Andor, which takes place during this allegedly overplayed time period, feels like the newest flavor of Star Wars we've seen since the prequels...

Time periods aren't stories.

22. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Agreed with an OT-era show, but I was talking more about a post-OT New Republic show. A show like that seems to call for Leia to play an important role alongside Mothma.

23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Most likley animated if it happens. LFL wont recast Leia after OT. Like a TCW show for post OT Aftermath. Between ROTJ and Mandalorian.

24. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Do we know who Yularen's successor is as head of ISB? If not, Partagaz or Meero would be interesting options.

---​
    Hadn't seen this comment. Isard would be cool too, but I'd prefer it to be a character we've seen rise through the ranks. Partagaz initially, then Meero after a season or two of manoeuvring.

25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I like if a sequel show you have Dedra Meero as becoming head of ISB for the Empire.