main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you want a Rogue Squadron movie?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Sarge, Aug 18, 2022.

?

Do you want a Rogue Squadron movie?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mandor1138

Mandor1138 Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2022
    I think I meant that Solo tried and (maybe) failed to bring in a ton of fan service in the form of answers to questions we supposedly had. Where did he get his last name? How did he and Chewie/Lando meet? etc. The entire plot seemed constructed to deliver those answers. Whereas Rogue One's story was surprisingly original... within the context of expanding the first paragraph to the opening crawl of SW77.

2. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I feel that if you are supposed to make a Solo origins movie, then NOT including those things would be a very bad choice. I don't consider expanding the past of established characters as fan service personally, but that might just be me. And the introduction between Han and Lando was perfection. I know a lot of people hate the explanation behind his name, but I actually liked it, I find nothing wrong with it.

rocknroll41 likes this.
  3. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    They’ll never get anywhere interesting if they try and navigate. Choose a path and drive a flail tank into it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
  4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    We're talking about executives, who answer to a board, who answer to shareholders. The days of saying "Whatever! I do what I want!" as a creative direction ended with George selling the company. That's why they've played it so safe and familiar in the last decade. They've played around with tone and genre a bit. And I'm sure they'll keep doing that. But the biggest break from the familiar has probably been High Republic. And that's been relegated to books and such until The Acolyte comes out. That might be a bit new and interesting. Let's hope so. But I don't know if anyone will allow Star Wars to be auteur led, or even "auteur by committee" led again. They will always attempt to navigate the fanbase.

Rogue Squadron itself would be more of the familiar. Nothing says Star Wars like a lot of X-Wing action.

5. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Being relatively directionless, overly cautious and walking on eggshells has severely hampered their output and given us stuff like TFA and IX. They clearly aren’t opposed to trying something distinctive in principle, since they tried it with TLJ and they took a relatively big risk with Andor to be honest.

Playing it safe not only doesn’t guarantee good and profitable content to sustain the franchise, it also is extremely limiting. There are only so many movies you can produce which can be both good and within the arbitrary boundaries which fandom sets. At a certain point they are going to have to be willing to blow up a few of those land mines or the franchise will start to wither, and that’s definitely not good for shareholders.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  6. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm only saying what I think is likely to happen from them. I'm not saying it's the best way. But corporations never do what's best. They're most often short-sighted, risk averse, greedy, and creatively clueless. Every once in awhile they let someone creative shake things up, once they've run something into the ground. Just like what's happening at DC. They'll likely do the same here. They'll milk the familiar for all it's worth, and then try something new when things really start to drop off.

TLJ and Andor are still very full of the familiar. Luke Skywalker, alone, is reason to print money. And Andor is still Dark Times/OT era, Rebels vs Empire, with all of the classic iconography, starring a character from a recent hit movie that was well received by fans and critics. Both had really solid odds of success.

The point is, there will always be a lot of catering to fans in these big franchises. Especially from Disney. They've practically copyrighted nostalgia.

And it will continue to frustrate those who want them to be more daring, or to ignore fan outcries.

7. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011

We’re not just talking about sticking with nostalgia though. We’re talking about them navigating a minefield of fan expectations, and being careful not to blow any. Such a task is impossible and, if they haven’t already, they’ll find that out soon. Being conservative in your approach is one thing, which they’ll probably keep doing, at least in part. Trying to navigate the minefield of fan expectations to create something that pleases everyone, is something they really shouldn’t be paying much mind to at this point.

Can it be navigated? Sure. But it’s not a good idea from basically any point of view.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    IMO, the biggest break from the familiar has been Andor by a long shot - namely due to its almost total lack of appeal to young viewers. It being set in the OT era is superficially familiar, and doesn't at all make it more familiar than High Republic, as High Republic stuff is written very much in the family-friendly adventure style of classic Star Wars.

This break from the familiar might be apparent in Andor's lower viewership numbers relative to the other live action shows, and I do worry that the studio will see this as a reason to not push the envelope that far anymore. Fingers crossed.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
  9. Mandor1138

Dec 12, 2022
    I'm not saying there's anything "wrong" with it, or that I dislike it. I'm calling it fan service, and given the low critical and audience opinion of Solo, I'm saying those decisions were unsuccessful in terms of pleasing viewers.

10. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    That's not what I mean by "navigating". Of course they can't please everybody. By navigating, I mean that they are always going to be listening to fan response, and making adjustments as they go. They won't cater to full blown trolls, but they'll certainly continue to give ear to complaints they're seeing in large numbers.

And, again, I'm not arguing in favor of this. I'm arguing that I think it's what they'll do.
    You guys define things differently than I do, so agree to disagree, and all's well that ends well.

11. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Driving a tank into a minefield is exactly what they did with the sequel trilogy.
    They chose a direction, and it was the worst direction.

The Chalk Jedi and 2Cleva like this.
  12. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    But they didn't know that at the time. The ST makes perfect sense on paper.

Everybody loves the OT. It's the thing all fans agree on.
    The PT was highly criticized and divisive.
    So, concentrate on what unites them.
    Bring back the original characters, and iconography. And make a story that is highly reminiscent of the OT.
    Play the nostalgia to the hilt, while having them pass the torch to the new characters.
    Pass Go and collect $2 Billion dollars.

There were no mines to see, as far as they were concerned.

13. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    I don't disagree with any of that, but your post could describe TFA alone.
    There is no way they didn't know that TLJ and TROS are movies that are walking on a minefield.

2Cleva likes this.
  14. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Apparently, they were very happy with TLJ before the release. They didn't seem to anticipate the backlash.

TROS was doomed from the beginning. The loss of Carrie, the firing of Trevorrow, and the scramble to get JJ back and get a totally new script. All major setbacks. I'm actually surprised TROS works at all. But, it also shows many signs of answering fan complaints. It was just too late to do much.

15. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I do wonder what the hook would be for a Rogue Squadron movie other than, "we're REALLY hoping the nostalgia for X-Wings going pew! pew! in the OT era can carry this film!"

I feel like all the upcoming Disney+ shows have a pretty clear, intriguing hook even if we only have a little bit of information about them. With Rogue Squadron, what's the hook? That only this elite squadron can blow up the Empire's latest threat? Does that really need to be a movie? Sounds like a comic book or video game to me.

Master Jedi Fixxxer and 2Cleva like this.
  16. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Their problem was that they didn’t commit to a direction. They were cautious with the first film, not cautious with the second, and then went back to being cautious with the third.

rocknroll41 and Sarge like this.
  17. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually, it was a comic book, a video game, and a book series. :)

[​IMG]

starfish, Guidman , Riv_Shiel and 7 others like this.
  18. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    I voted yes, but I wish we could get a movie about a squadron of B-wings. I love those birds, and I’m a bit tired of X-wings, even though I still like them well enough. I think B-wings have a lot of potential, and the technical reasons that prevented them from shining in ROTJ are no longer a factor. They haven’t been a factor for a long time, in fact.

But no, nostalgia demands X-wings. Always.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
    Mandor1138 likes this.
  19. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    If this movie gets made I hope there's an in-universe explanation for why X-Wing's are called X-Wings when the Latin alphabet isn't used in the GFFA.

Character 1: Hey how did the X-Wings get their names?
    Character 2: Well because when the wings are in attack position they look like an X.
    Character 1: Oh...what's an X?
    Character 2: That's a story for another time.

rocknroll41 and Mandor1138 like this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Personally, I'd love to see some A-wing action. Those things are real hot rods.

Bor Mullet, Riv_Shiel and Mandor1138 like this.
  21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope it never gets made. @Sarge's sadness grants me eternal youthfulness.

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Indeed.
    [​IMG]

Riv_Shiel, Mandor1138 and Sarge like this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    What am I, the Portrait of Dorian IATI?

Bor Mullet, Pro Scoundrel and EHT like this.
  24. Mandor1138

Dec 12, 2022
    The title "Rogue Squadron" doesn't limit the ships featured to just X-wings. I hope we'll see all the wings! They could be like characters in the movie, with their special features highlighted, their strengths and weaknesses listed as different scenarios pop up in the story.

25. moxlox

moxlox Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Rogue B Movie!

But I am in! I love those ships.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
    Mandor1138 and Cos Palpatine like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.