main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Do you want a Season 2 of Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by TFWBWYA, Jun 24, 2022.

?

Do you want a Season 2 of Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Poll closed Jul 24, 2022.
  1. Yes

35.7%
  2. No

34.1%
  3. Unsure

30.2%
  1. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    I rather liked Samuel L. Jackson as Mace Windu, but I'm so done with dead characters returning.

[​IMG]

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Hayden has now given his approval of Mace Windu returning.;)

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    He's just trying to make amends for cutting his arm off and abetting as Sidious killed him.

4. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    I don't think it is needed, the show has told it's story, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon's training could be explored in a book or comic book.

5. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Why would anyone not want to see Ewan back as Obi Wan?

Valairy Scot and Sky_alma like this.
  6. Sky_alma

Sky_alma Jedi Master star 3

Jun 27, 2022
    Totally, they are not getting any younger, however great they might look. That's why I'm so eager for them to do these flashbacks, so that it doesn't become a missed opportunity :(
    I see your point, but then again people were already excited for the Kenobi show even when the stakes were not supposed to be so high. In fact, when the news about Vader being a part of the Kenobi series came up, many people were reluctant to having Vader and Obi-Wan meeting again, let alone fighting, and I would say now that their interactions were the best part of the show.
    So if done well I think that another season that deals with more introspective aspects of Obi-Wan's character and also involving Qui-Gon could work. And we could also have Vader/Anakin and Obi-Wan interactions without the need for them to meet again. Not only flashbacks, but also Force visions and that kind of things. There's still a lot to be explored in Obi-Wan's psyche and there's room for character growth. I for one would be super excited to watch it!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
    DannyD likes this.
  7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Cant wait for more Ewan, Hayden and Neeson. Obi-Wan Kenobi season 2.

Sky_alma likes this.
  8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I voted no. I believe they fulfilled their objective, and I loved the miniseries. Anything further would be excessive and perhaps repetitive.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Exactly, this. The story is done and it served its purpose. The writers and director confirmed multiple times that it was conceived of and executed as a single season "limited" series, so they should stick to that. As much as I ended up liking the series, that doesn't mean I want more of it. The actors may have enjoyed it, and Kennedy may talk about doing it "if the fans want it", but doing more of something because "it's fun!", "people want to see more", etc. is not a good idea, IMO.

Riv_Shiel and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The story is done.
    Now give us their next story!

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    One chapter is done and now the next.

12. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I concur. And considering that I now am cognizant that Kennedy was the one who planned on bringing back Palpatine in the ST, I think she should just handle the money and avoid story ideas as much as humanly possible. Deborah Chow and the actors accomplished something fab. While I understand Ewan and Hayden's sentiment, as you say, the miniseries served its purpose. Besides, Sidious implicitly ordered Vader not to fixate on Obi-Wan anymore. Obi-Wan/Ben got his mojo back, and that's wonderful. We got to learn that Leia was strong even as a child. Tala was marvelous. So, any further additions would seem like beating a dead horse. Besides, Vader is a lot more cautious when he fights Obi-Wan in ANH. That makes sense after both ROTS and this miniseries. As it is, I am pleased with how Vader was portrayed in Rebels, R1, and OWK. And it was magnificent to see McGregor and Christensen back once last time. That's my perspective.

EHT likes this.
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018

Lets do Ewan and Tem together this time. With force ghost Qui-Gon and master Yoda. I know some thinks you cant do anything more now and without Darth vader but I disagree. You can have his antagonist be mortallity and him dealing with the idea of death.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    That may be the initial motivation for doing a second season, but it’s not an “idea.” Whether or not a second season is a good idea all depends on…what the idea ends up being for that season. If they create a great story for it, it’ll be great. If not, it won’t be. :)
    There is no confirmation whatsoever that it was Kennedy’s idea to bring Palpatine back. All Terrio said was that she (and her SVP) had a clear plan for the ending, and that there were certain narrative marks she wanted hit (and he mentions those related to Kylo’s redemption), but that they had a lot of freedom within that. And in that context, Terrio notes they then had the idea that an old evil comes back - Palpatine. Based on his quotes, it sounds far more like Terrio had the idea to bring him back, not Kennedy. Here’s the whole quote:

"Kathy Kennedy and [SVP] Michelle Rejwan had a clear plan for where they wanted things to end," Terrio said. "They had clear plans about certain narrative marks they wanted us to hit. They also gave us a lot of freedom within that. We knew that Rey and Ren were utterly key to this trilogy, but we also felt that there was no way that we were going to not find a path to redemption for Kylo Ren, the son of Han and Leia.""That’s when we really started aggressively pursuing this idea that there is old evil that didn’t die," he continued. "The source of the evil in the galaxy is this dark spirit waiting for its revenge and biding its time. The entity known as Palpatine in this version – his body died in Return of the Jedi – is patient and has been waiting. He dug his fox hole and has been waiting for his chance to re-establish his total domination."

15. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    This is really not subject of this thread, but it is obvious that there was too much freedom and not enough "clear plans" for anything. At least for any other characters than Rey and Ren. It was preposterous however when Kathleen Kennedy once publicly claimed that there are no comics or novels about Star Wars..... That was so weird since it was obviously a big fat lie. They even used ideas straight from comics that apparently don't even exist for Kennedy. I don't know how much removed from context that statement was though.

There has been a weird apparently politically motivated witch-hunt for Kennedy among SW-fans ever since she became leader of Lucasfilm. Partially because she is woman I guess. And sure she says stupid stuff at times. Sure she as leader is still mostly responsible for sequels, but attitudes toward her are overly toxic on many levels. Sequels could've easily been far worse. Sure I was very disappointed in TROS especially, but it could've been much worse really.

16. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    You mean, you mean...
    [​IMG]
    Yes, I like it. I can buy him as a Sith! :)

17. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I don't think Death is a Sith.. Death just kind of is. (That said, Bengt Ekerot's Death was an obvious inspiration for the way Palpatine looks---see my avatar.)

But yeah, bringing in a grim reaper-type figure is something that could be done and could work--the result would be something more akin to the Mortis or Yoda TCW arcs than to conventional Star Wars. Lots of fans would hate it but I'm all for it.

18. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I voted *unsure* primarily because I thought the show had equal measures of good and bad... albeit I enjoyed it overall. I think they'd have to have a really strong idea/story for where they'd want a season 2 to go... but at this stage I'd say a season 2 is inevitable.

La Calavera and Sky_alma like this.
  19. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Unsure. I agree that the show had equal amounts of good and bad parts.
    But most of the good parts were the scenes with Vader/Anakin. And having him again on season 2 would probably be overkill.
    At the same time, you have Ewan McGregor and you can do much more with him.

Sky_alma and Darth PJ like this.
  20. Sky_alma

Sky_alma Jedi Master star 3

Jun 27, 2022
    I agree that the parts with Vader/Anakin were probably the best and that they shouldn't overuse him, but I don't really see how including him to some extent in a second season could be counterproductive in any way. Obi-Wan's backstory is inevitably linked with Anakin's after all.
    Also, it was much more difficult to justify his presence in the show before we actually saw the first season. Now that we have seen that it actually worked, I think it would be easier to think of a way of including him that doesn't contradict any lines of the original movies.
    And also, yeah, there's much more you can do with Ewan/Obi-Wan! So I'm all for it. Then again, I would be content even with a whole season of just Obi-Wan meditating in a cave, so I may be a bit biased :p

21. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    Absolutely not. The show was terrible...

22. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Dude, you’re on a trolling spree here and on Lord of the Rings message boards. What gives?

23. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Indeed, just joking around [face_laugh]. Still, I like Fred´s notion of Obi Wan dealing with his mortality, and I think it was hinted as the idea behind a second movie in the Kenobi trilogy, right? Sounds like interesting material to develop in a novel...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I enjoyed the series for what it was. I went in with low expectations and was pleasently surprised, there was some great stuff and I enjoyed the addition of Reva to the canon.

That said, the plot was a sorry excuse to give us more Obi/Anakin content. The kidnapping of a character we know is basically immortal and untouchable is just not very exciting. It seems they had trouble coming up with something more interesting which is why I don't need to see another season. As far as I am considered the story is done.

Sometimes the story logic feels streched to the limit like when for example Obi spares Vader for the second time.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
    Valiowk likes this.
  25. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Samuel could easily appear in flashbacks or in Force-visions that Vader has.

Other than that- there is plenty of room for a Mace series set before ROTS or the Clone Wars- my idea is about how he develops Vapaad-
    Samuel looks young enough to reprise the role.