main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #14-19: Remastered (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedha John, Oct 17, 2017.

1. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I would love to see Henryetta Antilles be recanonized as a rival to Ahpra, perhaps with Aphra as the Belloq role(before face melting of course) "There is nothing you can find that I cannot take away"

MercenaryAce and LelalMekha like this.
  2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The2ndQuest likes this.
  3. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Look what we have here....

4. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Wicked cool!

I still would like a LEGO figure too.

5. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Awesome. What's with those pants though? Looks like she doesn't have them buttoned up. Was Aphra just getting back home from a hot date?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  6. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I hope I'll get the Aphra figure, I heard that most EU/Legends/Novel/Comic SW characters that get an action figure rarely come to local stores and are quickly selled out online. I propably have to order it as soon as it is available. I hope nothing bad happens when it gets shipped to Germany.

To not derail this thread which is about the comic series, we can discuss this further in the Aphra fanclub.

7. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I need this figure! I think she comes out next month, or maybe April, either way I need her. (And I want Snoke. I may get Kylo and / or Rey to keep on card.)

8. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    Just read issue #17....Loved it!

Hera made an earlier entrance than I thought she would. The more Hera, the better. The reveal was great as she first appears in a head shot but with half her face masked by a helmet. Hera is drawn really well...her facial expressions are great and she does ooze authority in this issue. The last panel with Hera "gift-wrapped" for the Imperials is fantastic...an instant classic! The dialogue between Caysin Bog and Tam Posla was a lot of fun, as was seeing Caysin Bog have his hands on his "head" at gunpoint. Loved the interaction between Aphra and Tolvan..."there are other careers" seems to be something they both are seriously contemplating...where will those thoughts lead? More "fraternizing" between Aphra and Tolvan in the form of a second kiss and deep conversation...this couple has a ton of possibilities for adventures going forward. Really looking forward to the next issue to see how the trade of Hera for Trip's memories goes down. The art is once again beautiful in this issue. Great arc!

9. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Been enjoying these past couple of issues.

Had to chuckle/snort a little at a bit of dark-ish fridge humor:

So in the last pair of eps of Rebels, Kanan and co run out to rescue Hera with... bad results. Then we cut to issue #17 of Aphra which ends with... Hera getting captured again. I know timeline wise these two events are at least 1-2 years apart, but man does it feel like Hera got caught in a revolving door. Poor woman can't catch a break.

10. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Am I the one who think that Aphra is starting to become a parody of herself, it's all just a bit too much like all the other kooky female characters in comics these days that have a series of over the top zany hijinks.

Personally I rolled my eyes at the
    "Gift wrapping"
    It felt more like something Harley Quinn would do

lordpixie likes this.
  11. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Meh, characters like Zayne Carrick were the definition of "over the top zany hijinks", so I'm glad female characters are getting a fair crack of the whip too. Aphra's been great for delving into some classic Star Wars/Marvel weirdness lately.

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  12. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Good issue. Was surprised though that they brought Hera into the comic prior to Rebels being over and done with though. We of course know that Hera is back with the Rebellion by the time of Endor (kind of doubt she has much of a stay with the Empire as a prisoner). Could this be the point where Aphra decides that she has had enough of being the bad guy and undoes what she has done??

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  13. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I say we need a second Aphra comic started. One that deals with nothing but her dating life.

Daneira likes this.
  14. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    We also know Hera was at Hoth from the IDW Forces of Destiny Leia One-Shot

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

15. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Thanks. I don't get the IDW comics so didn't know that. So obviously Hera doesn't get taken prisoner (at least for any significant length of time) so I am assuming Aphra helps Hera get her out of the situation (Hera is going to be in issue 19 as well).

16. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    I doubt Hera spends even a minute in Imperial custody. Aphra will most likely have a back up to a backup in order to make sure she comes out of the encounter with both Hera and Tripp’s memories. She has to return Hera to the training base to retrieve Tolvan anyways.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

17. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    @The2ndQuest
    Doctor Aphra #14-19: Remastered (4/6 Released)

It was a decent set up issue and I have some thoughts concerning issue #17
    The only telling part of the book for me was when Aphra said to herself the line that she said to Tolvan "There are other lines of work". Was she telling herself that hoping that Tolvan takes her advice so they can be together, OR just hoping her plan works to get out from under the thumb of Triple T so she can change her own line of work? I'm learning towards the former because I don't think she'll ever change. She always has an ulterior motive and that's probably why her relationship with Sana Starros didn't work out.

IMO, Aphra isn't going to change her stripes; she wouldn't be interesting if she did. If she did, she'd just be a female Han Solo and we would be always wondering if and when she would flip flop back and betray her friends/partners/whomever in whatever situation she got herself into.

As others have alluded above, based on Aphra's adventure with Luke/Leia/Han, I don't think Hera is in any real danger, but it's good to see her involved. I do wonder where Chopper is.

18. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Have to disagree a bit there and we need to remember that she mentions it again a second time to herself. I think this whole comic series is about giving Aphra a bit of a redemption arc. Ever since issue 12 we have already seen a real change in her to the point to now she is really starting to question what she is doing.

There is a lot they can do with her character if she is redeemed. For starters she can help give the Rebellion insider info about the Empire. She can be the one that tells Luke and Leia about Padme. She is pretty much perfect to take on the role of helping Luke and Lor San Tekka track down old Jedi relics. Heck she would even be a good person to have help Luke start up his Acadamey. And all the while we can see her struggling to come to terms with the death of her mother. Which is pretty much the reason she turned into what she did as she seems to be exactly the same as the people that killed her mom.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  19. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Right, that's what I'm talking about - the 2nd time she mentions it to herself is the meaningful time where she could be commenting not only on her current and future choices, but Tolvan's as well. If Tolvan continues to want to be "that guy" as in wanting to capture Aphra and bring her to the Empire, then there is no hope for their relationship.

Scenario #1 - Aphra shuts down Triple Z, she and Tolvan end up together, and she goes back to a life of archaeology. She goes legit and sells her findings to a museum. Result: she's female Indiana Jones. Boring.

Scenario #2 - Aphra shuts down Triple Z, she and Tolvan end up together, and both decide to join the Rebellion. They help but do it in unconventional, not always legal ways. Aphra is the crazy one, Tolvan is the voice of reason. Result: she's female Han Solo and Tolvan is Chewbacca. Boring.

Scenario #3 - Aphra shuts down Triple Z, things with Tolvan continue to be complicated, and she continues to look out for herself. The conflict pushes her towards a new adventure where exciting things can happen.

Personally, I'm leaning towards scenario #3.

20. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    When Aphra says "There are other careers" towards the end after talking with Trip, there is no doubt that she is applying her advice previously given to Tolvan to Aphra's own "career". I agree that it is most likely that Trip as a protocol droid does not survive this arc, but it will be interesting to see what happens with the 000 matrix as I doubt it will be destroyed. This issue definitely is foreshadowing a big change for both Aphra & Tolvan...Aphra is shedding all of her former sidekicks and once she gets out of this mess, she'll want a new career with a new partner. This is a perfect "opposites attract" scenario with the adventurous risk-taker coupled with the by-the-book Imperial. Many wonderful possibilities in terms of adventures together.

Scenario #1 would be a lot of fun as it will be Tolvan constantly trying to reel in Aphra and trying to keep her on the straight and narrow with successes and failures. Exploring the galaxy and building the history of the GFFA. I personally would love for Aphra to dive deep into the archaeology side of things while constantly struggling with ethical choices.

Scenario #2 is a serious possibility...almost like Anakin not doing things by the Jedi playbook, Aphra could do things for the Rebellion in her own free-wheeling way. I love the idea of Aphra helping Luke find Jedi temples and being connected to Lor San Tekka. That would be a lot of fun. I still think Luke and Aphra's futures will be intertwined in some way, shape or form. If this scenario takes place, I'd like to see Aphra's ongoing continue and not have her absorbed by the SW ongoing.

Scenario #3 could continue for another arc or two, but I think Aphra's internal dilemma has to come to a head at some point. Maybe this internal conflict ends with Tolvan being killed by the Empire which pushes Aphra into the rebellion with a vengeance. We shall see. Exciting things to come with Aphra's story.

21. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Really enjoyed Sister Six in this issue! She's such a fun character.

Marvel solicitations for May are up (sorry, no cover yet):

STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #20
    SIMON SPURRIER (W) • KEV WALKER (A)
    Cover by ASHLEY WITTER
    GALACTIC ICON VARIANT COVER BY ROD REIS
    BROKEN, INSIDE BEGINS NOW!
    Aphra is behind bars. Again. But this time, she finds herself in Imperial custody, strapped to an explosive transmitter synced to a single hub-droid. Take one step too far? KABLOOEY! Normally, this wouldn’t be an issue to sit still for Aphra – but what happens when her Imperial captors send her hub-droid to the middle of a war zone? And, uh, what’s this rumor about the prison being haunted?

ETA: Cover is up now:

Edit 2: Electric Boogaloo: Lol nvm, @Jedha John beat me to it!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    tatooinesandworm and Jedha John like this.
  22. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    So happy to see Ashley Witter remaining as the cover artist!

[​IMG]

23. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    @Jedha John @TiniTinyTony

Why can't she and Tolvan end up together but stay freelance? I mean, I doubt Tolvan would completely turn against the Empire, and I doubt the Rebellion would be willing to directly work with Aphra after all her shenanigans. It would also retain an interesting dynamic we haven't really gotten before.

24. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Sure, at this point anything is possible and I'm definitely of the opinion that Aphra of all people will never cross the line that separates good and evil and she will ride that line as long as possible because, IMO, that's what makes her interesting.

25. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    I thought the freelance option was captured by TiniTinyTony's scenario #1, but do you mean some other sort of freelance that doesn't involve archaeology?