main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #14-19: Remastered (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedha John, Oct 17, 2017.

1. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I really don't get why people want Aphra to join the Rebellion and seem to think it is already set in stone that she will. Seems like a waste to me.

starfish, Darth_Pevra and spicer like this.
  2. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    It's because if she is going to turn out to be a character that stays around for a long time to come there needs to be something big for her to take part in as a character in the grand scheme of things, Her going around exploring for her own reasons is all well and good for the short term. But ten years of her hunting down artifacts with no other purpose than she likes to look for old artifacts would get pretty ho hum after awhile. Aphra joining the Rebellion is the best way to turn her into a major player and give her a purpose for being a character that sticks around for the long term.

vncredleader likes this.
  3. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I also imagine that wanting Aphra to join the Rebellion stems from a desire to see her become a hero (and rub shoulders with our favourite characters). We all like a good redemption story.

vncredleader likes this.
  4. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I mean, she already does that though without being an actual member of the Rebellion. I just really don't want to see another, "Mercenary/Criminal comes over to the Rebels" story. I'd be OK with seeing more Imperial defectors, but we've already had like three or four of those stories in the comics alone.

What I really want is for Aphra and Tolvan to remove themselves from the GCW entirely and just hang out as mercenaries. They're able to rub shoulders with the big players while still maintaining their own morality and staying flexible for more adventures.

5. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I like this idea. I think Aphra is interesting because she's who she is. Having her become a rebel and seeing her shoot up some stormtroopers alongside her beau, Luke Skywalker, makes her not Aphra.

6. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Well we already know that she knows who Luke's real mother is and chances are good that she will end up being the one that tells Luke and Leia the news. When we say she'll join the Rebellion that's not really saying she will be flying around in the Millennium Falcon with Luke and Leia (infact I'm sure that won't happen (at least not on a regular basis)), and she's not really a fighter or an X-Wing pilot so of course she wouldn't be going into combat. What her character would probably fit into as would be in gathering intel for the Rebellion. Be a person that works behind the scenes to where she wouldn't have to be onscreen all the time and she could also do some of her own interests at the same time.

What I personally think is going to happen is once the Aphra comic ends (which I assume will be about issue 25 (which seems to be the length Marvel has put on their non legacy character series)) she will indeed be brought into the regular line but not as a consistent character we see virtually every single issue like we have seen of her up to this point. I think she will end up being a character that plays a role once every third or fourth arc unless a story comes around that really suits her character (such as hunting down Jedi Lore with Luke).

One thing I do think would be something Aphra would be a good fit for within the next few years is once Luke and Leia start developing the plan to rescue Han Aphra would be a good character to have involved in gathering the Intel for the mission.

vncredleader and Jedha John like this.
  7. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    I'd quite like to see her as a sort of Hondo figure - she may "team up" with the Rebellion when it's profitable for her. But probably not to join the Rebels outright.

On that note - I'd love to see her and Hondo team up at some point.

8. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I think that would be good for her character, and would allow for us to still get Jedi lore or just lore in general once her series ends, which I hope doesn't happen anytime soon, I'm really liking her as a character.

9. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Don't we already have enough "scoundrel with a heart of gold"-characters who are working for the Rebellion? Ten years of her hunting down artifacts is precisely what was missing from canon, it adds another dimension aside from the ol' Empire vs. Rebellion stuff (which we're now getting in the Sequels as well). Additionally I don't want Aphra to turn good, that's a character path we've also seen repeated a lot.

10. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I’m totally good with ten years of Aphra just hunting down artifacts.

TransPirate, revan772, Ben09 and 4 others like this.
  11. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
  12. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Well I think that they are already in the process of turning her into a good/better character. I feel that is the main point of this arc that they are currently on. Aphra is realizing first hand the consequences that her previous behavior has.

vncredleader likes this.
  13. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Why do I get the feeling Tolvan is going to change side very soon? Not necessarily to the Rebellion though. Also pleasantly surprised for the Thanoth cameo. I also didn't expect to see BT and Triple Zero so soon. Love the art in this one. Aphra, in particular, is very well done I think. "Joystick Chevron" [face_laugh], really subtle Aphra. Another emphasis on Aphra not being a sadist or a murderer. Rexa is also interesting I guess, we'll have to see how long she'll survive.

14. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    This issue had a hilariously dark ending. A bit disturbing, but still funny.

Loved the characterization of Tolvan and her interaction with her new captain. And Thanoth cameo! I miss this guy already.

I still like what Gillen is doing with Aphra. She definitely has a lot of depth, but it doesn’t mean her natural progression should be “join the Rebellion, become a good guy”. That could be a way to go with her (not one that I favor), but she is just written in such a complex way that she could evolve into anything. Or just stay the way she is, because she certainly is never boring.

The_Forgotten_Jedi likes this.
  15. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Yeah she's not an evil person but she's also not one of the good guys neither. I like how she uses her skills and intellect to survive dangerous situations.

16. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    It's funny, you are saying everything I thought when we first got an Aphra book and had some theories about her becoming more heroic. And yet now I very much learn toward her becoming at the very least a good ally of the Alliance. I agree that we need her to be going around doing archaeology and not fighting in the war directly, but as someone said, have her pull a Hondo. I would want her to be a bit more involved than Hondo at times but still something akin to that. Heck maybe even more of a Talon Karrde type role for Aphra. Essentially for me it boils down to wanting her and Luke to be a thing post ROTJ, which can still very much happen without her fully joining, so as long as I get that I am fine with her being more of a 3rd party type character.

Yeah and I like that this is a redemption for an apathetic character who manipulates people rather than say a storm trooper. We don't get that type as often. Aphra becoming more heroic is more interesting that another Imp cause she was not even doing bad things for a massive cause, she did it simply because she did not care who she hurt. That makes it easier to forgive her, but also harder for her to term because she inherently wants to run out on people as we saw with her trying to leave Luke in SC

17. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    She really doesn't need to join the Rebellion. We need to flesh out the "benevolent criminal underworld" in the vein of like, Booster Terrik and Talon Karrde for this NEU.

18. GrandAdmiralVarlexx

GrandAdmiralVarlexx Jedi Knight

Dec 1, 2010
    I couldn't agree more. Even if she isn't completely "benevolent" sometimes doing the right thing is what's best for business. We need shades of grey like Aphra and don't need to lump everyone into good (rebellion) and evil (empire).

Daneira and La Calavera like this.
  19. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Hey she could become a Grey character within the Rebellion just like Cassian Andor was. I don't think many people would have considered him a straight up good guy.

20. GrandAdmiralVarlexx

GrandAdmiralVarlexx Jedi Knight

Dec 1, 2010
    You're right, I wouldn't consider Cassian a "straight-up good guy". That's what was so great about his character in Rogue One. It showed those tough decisions people have to make in times of war that might not always be what's best but what's necessary for the greater scheme of things.

With Aphra, I just like that she doesn't have to be tied to one side or the other. She can play both sides, whichever best suits her interests at the time. There's a lot of stories to be told of people that might not be directly involved in the Galactic Civil War but are definitely affected by it.

revan772 likes this.
  21. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    The problem with her playing both sides is that any and all bridges with the Empire is thoroughly burned now.

Of course, I don't see Doctor Aphra as a good or even neutral person.

"Evil is a strong word."

You were going to give Luke Skywalker as a human sacrifice to a vampire. You are evil.

22. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Aphra as new eu Booster? I am so on board with this. Make it happen story group!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe she can hijack a Star Destroyer

I feel like Aphra's situation is very different than Cassians though. Aphra is grey cause she has trouble even wanting to do the right thing and when she does she pats herself on the back and leaves. Which is why I still think her directly working with if not in the Alliance or at the very least helping Luke would work cause she is willingly doing the right thing cause she wants to help those people. However Cassian killed cause he was a soldier in a war. It will take a while for Aphra to come even close to his grey area cause of just how much closer to dark she is comparatively.

23. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Aphra #17 cover and solicit.
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #17
    KIERON GILLEN & Simon Spurrier (W)
    Emilio Laiso (A)
    Cover by ASHLEY WITTER
    Galactic Icon Variant by Rod Reis
    • Aphra and her new crew are launching a brand-new mission…
    • …infiltrating a secret Rebellion training center.
    • Little do they know they might be in over their heads.
    • Bonus: A new Rebellion leader? Who’s THAT?!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2017 Lucasfilm Ltd.

24. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Does anyone have any suggestions about who that new rebellion leader could be? I think it's someone who previously appeared in the comics. Aphra's father maybe?

25. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Holdo?