main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #20-25: The Catastrophe Con (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, May 18, 2018.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    It would.
    Are you sure they could pull it off?
    Hate to see what happens to any army of Yuuzhan Vong that lose to him.
    Shamed status probably, lots of torture to atone for this and be even more zealous the next time they face 000.

2. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I don't think YV would allow one of their own to live if he/she was bested by a machine, even as a Shamed One. Least of all a machine as abominable as 000.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Yeah 000 against the Vong. It'd be priceless

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Gakk what an issue / ending, holy hell! Vader wrecking stuff and that final twist was amazing. Aphra is still trapped in a hell of her own making, you'd figure she might switch sides eventually but she's totally tethered to Triple Zero which is a fantastically twisted idea.

5. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Okay, I clearly think about Tam Poszla more than I should, but assuming his arc is over... what was his deal? I mean, I know what most of his deal was, sort of, but I was hoping to find out a couple of things in there somewhere.

When 000 fully Wolverines him in this issue there seems to be a lot of "blood" (and likewise when he "self-harms") whereas Tam was previously shown to be, like, almost completely mechanical -- in some frames he was revealed to be, in every practical respect, a droid (there didn't even seem to be room for an organic brain in there). Sure, 000's claws could be dripping mechanical fluids and stuff, but... what's the intent here?

Poszla's characterized as an organic sentient with a personal history and non-droid-like agency, and most references call him a cyborg. I'm just gonna take the visual depictions as characteristic "Aphra" loopiness, but I would have liked to know how he got that way. Is that standard for Milvayne operatives, something weird he did to himself, or something Evazan did to him at some point just because Evazan? Would've liked to know.

Mostly I enjoy the little surrealistic tics in "Aphra" since I decided to pretend it was like what if Terry Gilliam directed Star Wars, but this one was a little too much of a loose end for me.

6. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    Looks like the Force fungi will inhabit Tam Poszla after all.

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Just finished the Catastrophe Con graphic novel. I can't say I appreciated the ending, being a big fan of Aphra of course, but it sure was a hell of a twist. Not sure how she gets out of this one. Since I don't collect the individual comics, I'll have to wait for the next graphic novel to be released this June.

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    ....this.... yeah... this. Just having finished it, I can honestly say I was blown away. So original. So unexpected. It was hiding in plain site. And hells, it relied entirely on ANH. Like whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.... so clever.

This series is depressing as allgetout and I see from the past few pages that I'm not the only one who was disappointed in Tam's fate ("fate"? I better not go on the Wook). But regardless, the plot was, as always, absolutely original and inventive. I see these are written by different authors sometimes, but it seems like the sort of zany stuff you'd expect from kids playing with action figures or teens (or actually anyone) writing a fanfic. "Why don't we have the characters do crazy XYZ?" "That makes no sense -- LET'S DO IT!"

They are depressing though. Every Aphra comic to date guarantees more laughs than any other SW comic on the market... but also an equal number of gross/uncomfortable/grizzly moments.

When Evazan commends you on being an absolutely abysmal sort that even *he* could learn a thing from... yeah. Is there any lower?

9. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    Wow, this arc wrapped up three whole years ago? Jeez, time flies.