main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #26-31: Worst Among Equals (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Senpezeco, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    29 was pretty interesting . Imperial Public Relations is scary

Jedi Ben and TiniTinyTony like this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Everybody watching the events unfold on TV reminded me a bit of The Truman Show.

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    28 was a good character issue for Aphra, at least it developed the random person they were rolling with and had a great ending. Awesome line from Triple Zero "What a spectacularly irrelevant question!"

4. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    What I like about this arc is that it is attempting to give her an actual character arc, and that's really nice.
    The whole Imperial PR gag was hilarious imo

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  5. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    the whole Bombs thing, how its basically a killing game and people watching the events reminded me of the video game/ anime/ light novel series Danganropa a bit (good series btw and if you wanna see how Harley Quinn should be characterize as. look no further then the main villain/ mastermind of the series )

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  6. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    29 was okay. No Evazan or Baba so I wonder what they're up to -- if they're still sitting "at home" or coming up with a Plan C or D just in case.

I understand the need for a cliffhanger ending to get people to buy the next issue, but don't put a question mark after the be continued. It's like the Adam West Batman episodes always ending on a cliffhanger, like I get it but I don't know. I don't have a better solution. It just seems campy.

7. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I think that's the point. And... y'know. It's a comic book. They're kinda campy by default.

8. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Strange that the Imperial propaganda woman mentioned invisible touch, twice. I wonder whether that was an intentional Genesis reference.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  9. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    I loved those two pages introducing the PR Team, the lead up to the final speech Bubble saying they were public relations made me laugh.

10. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    I think that’s a bit of a stretch. My impression was that Spurrier was just riffing on Smith’s “invisible hand” of the market. Given that there’s already an Invisible Hand in Star Wars, he simply Star Wars-ified the expression.

I’m curious about the individual in the hologram too, though (possibly head of Imperial PR?). Is she a member of the Imperial Ruling Council? Her headdress would certainly fit in.

ETA: I probably need Jello to sign off on such a bold comment.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  11. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
  12. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    @The2ndQuest @AdmiralNick22

Doctor Aphra #26-31: Worst Among Equals (5/6 Released)

Concerning #30, I loved this issue. I'm surprised it made me cry...
    It's amazing how much personality oozes out of this book concerning Aphra and Triple Zero. I hate both of them, but I love them at the same time. First Aphra is knocked down to rock bottom realizing the only connection she's ever made/ever been hold onto is the one she has made with Triple Zero. I loved that he got to see Tolvan join the Rebellion while Triple Zero simultaneously broadcasts that fact to everyone on the planet. In a moment of clarity and self revelation, she finally gives him what he wants - the key to unlocking his past memories. Frozen, he searches his databanks and realizes that he himself is a defect that was created and meant to be destroyed. He also hits rock bottom just as Aphra did earlier in this issue. He decides he going to take a walk. The proximity alarm beings to beep; it appears he's ready to kill them both. Amazing writing!

Barriss_Coffee and Amon_Amarth like this.
  13. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Wow what an issue.

The Truman Show / Droid Bachelor continues! With so much character growth and nuance. I'm not one for reality TV, but if I was a GFFA denizen in this instance, I'd be glued to the Holonet.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Lol the glorious return of the Peculiar Hat Crew. This series really does have it all. :emperor:

15. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    Winloss and Nokk deserve their own series.

Barriss_Coffee and Senpezeco like this.
  16. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Definitively one of the best arc of this series. Triple 0 and Aphra is such an interesting dynamic and that ending...
    I concur.

17. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    Spoilers for issue 31.
    Wait... did Aphra die? I presume it is a fake out since the camera stopped rolling and she gets saved... but I am worrying that the next issue will be a prequel. Does not make since with how they have set her up to kill her at this time and not accomplish any of her current goals... but I still worry because I love this character lol. I just need reassurance she is okay.

18. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I think
    she's only mostly dead.
    [​IMG]

Joystick Chevron likes this.
  19. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    I don't think so, because in the preview for the next arc shared at Celebration's Marvel panel (source: this SW.com article),
    we're shown a child character who looks just like Vulaada, and we're told "some of the lessons that she [Aphra] learned as a kid from her mom come into play as she takes on a parental role with a young character." We know Aphra didn't have time to spare in this arc to go off on the archaeological adventure pictured, and physically couldn't have done so sans Trip because of the proximity bombs, so I would really think this is post-Milvayne, and she and Vulaada left together.

[​IMG]

revan772 likes this.
  20. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    Thank you guys for helping me feel better lol.

21. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I hate coming into a thread for 26-31 and seeing pictures of issue 32. :rolleyes:

@The2ndQuest @AdmiralNick22 6/6 released

Concerning 31
    I think Trip's change of heart was a little convenient, but I guess I can appreciate his decision to not finish off Aphra especially since he just learned about his past. It was very Arya / The Hound esque.

Obviously, Aphra isn't dead, but for once in her life, she thought about someone other than herself. I'm definitely looking forward to more of her story.

Barriss_Coffee and revan772 like this.
  22. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    I put it under a spoiler with a note atop it that I would be discussing the preview for the next arc below the cut. What would you have liked me to do differently? I was planning to continue to label previews for future content with spoiler tags like so, but I can stop posting in these threads altogether if the way I'm going about it still frustrates you that much.[face_dunno] I'm not trying to annoy others or discuss big spoilers without first putting them inside tags and I'd like to know how to shape up or ship out if I'm failing at either of those things.

23. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    You didn’t do anything wrong. I didn’t read what you posted above your tag. If I had I would have avoided it so no worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Just finished the graphic novel compilation of this Aphra story. I've gotta say Aphra is easily becoming a favorite character of mine; right up there with Ahsoka. She's incredibly vulnerable and yet every now and then she gets this really down-to-Earth attitude about everything that's going on. I really look forward to he comics (at least the Graphic Novel compilations); and that's a big deal because I'm not a comics person.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Aphra was really what got me back into the comics, too. Fascinatingly different for a SW protagonist and yet these are unmistakably SW stories. And for once they're unpredictable, which is great.

Ahsoka's Tano and FS26 like this.