main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #32-36: Unspeakable Rebel Superweapon (5/5 released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]
    :p

2. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    [​IMG] r

AYY

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    [​IMG]
    Was Palpatine joytripping through the World Between Worlds again?

4. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    @The2ndQuest @AdmiralNick22
    4 of 5 released

Concerning 35, I enjoyed it although I'm not 100% sure
    why BK didn't overpower Tolvan. I know we needed the exposition, but it felt unrealistic to me. Also, was it me or did the art seem to get worse as the the issue progressed?

I don't know who Darth Krayt was but I looked it up. Also in that panel is the one thing that looks like Hera Syndulla's KALIKORI. I don't know if it's exactly hers, but I think we last saw it in Thrawn's possession and he disappeared before the events of R1 and ANH.

I'm looking forward to the finale next week and then next chapter and final arc?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  5. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013

soooo... confirms that he or someone with his mask did timetravel and create the new canon timeline thus? Oh my! @Sinrebirth might like this! But we do not know how old it is in new canon, or to what time he travelled.

@TiniTinyTony
    And why would next arc be the final one? I doubt that, Aphra sells and Aphra stays for long, unless they go on a break or move to other medium. So why did you think next arc is final one?????

Also, to all who suspected the Ministress is Aphras mom... guess this issue is a nail in the coffin of that theory.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    TiniTinyTony likes this.
  6. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
  7. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Hera gets it back by the end of Rebels. I'd assume this one isn't actually hers, unless she loses it post-Rebels. We know other Twi'leks have them.

How so? The Minister's clearly still hiding something, and keeps talking about revealing things to Aphra. Not to mention she sought Aphra out specifically after discovering her on Milvayne. I don't see anything in the issue that disproves it.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  8. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I think Aphra would recognise her mom, even if a decade is between their last seeing each other. Add to that the dead mom shot in last issue where she was missing an arm (shot off!) and you get why she is dead. Bloodloss and all. In addition to that we got of an upcoming Aphra issue a cover with a nice clear headshot off her moms face and hair, which looks nothing like said Imperial Ministress. Eyecolor and haircolor off but also to me she does not look asian as her mom does. Sure artistic freedom and all and colors can be changed, I get that, but still it would be a stretch. Add in upcoming issues released summaries hint nothing at any such reveal and those usually spoiled some of past issues before.

At best she is her Aunt or related but not the mother. It doesn't even fit her moms so far known personality. I get she could be into propaganda or anything related which we do not know, but I can't see her be that woman or become that woman.

Also I think next arcs title "A Rogue's End" refers to not her death or the series ending but rather her days as a Rogue are over. Meaning she might get what she wanted and be no longer on the run but in good graces again? Vader might not like it but given this arcs focus, maybe she meets the Emperor himself and he overrules Vader? then she can be the Emperors personal archeologist for future stories... replacing Rebels old guy in locating ancient sites and World between World level access? Bring it on!

9. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    We don't know that Aphra doesn't recognize her (and I've previously pointed out a couple of lines that suggests Aphra knows a fair bit about the Minister). We've seen plenty of characters survive dismemberment -- Ponda Baba has been in this series, even, and his wound didn't get cauterized. And as far as I can tell both characters have blue eyes. They certainly both have white hair. And I've previously talked about how their personalities do seem quite similar -- I can certainly imagine Lona, who complains about idealists and has plenty of "pearls of wisdom" about people's weaknesses, becoming the Minister after the experiences she has.

I'm not saying they have to be the same, but I think the story so far is deliberately leaving two gaps: when Aphra first met and started working for the Minister, and what happened to her mom after Aphra was taken away.

10. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Right, I forgot. Thanks! Would it be considered a Jedi/Sith relic?

11. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    I wouldn't imagine so; it's just a Twi'lek heirloom.

12. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    theres many reasons why aphra could not reconize her . Got some work done , the way she's caring herself , ETC. My theory is that her mom has amnesia or the trauma of getting shot by the raiders created a new personality in her I.E what became the minster

13. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
  14. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Probably a little fan nod easter egg type thing from the artist or author. Its a little too subdued for Krayt's exact helmet, could just be just be some type of Vong helmet. Meaning we could see them pop up at some point. The context of that collection are supposed to represent Imperial triumphs. Looks like a Sun Guard helmet present too.

15. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Doctor Aphra #36 preview.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    guess this preview is the final nail in the coffin of the theory about Aphras mom some here had. As I predicted ;) given the preview spills the backstory of said suspected character already.

17. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Bearing in mind my theory was she wasn't Aphra's mom despite the apparent suggestions that she could be, as a subversion. The confusion arose because I then had to explain those suggestions a few times, which kinda drowned my original point.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  18. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Also in the preview I Note a character in the Emperors's court that is female, has Rey's hairstyle and arm-covers on!!!! I bet that is not a coincidence but was placed there with intent! Rey's mom?

19. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    Different hairstyle.

20. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Not too different, enough similarities exist!

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Rey will time travel in Rise of Skywalker to give that person a cloak. Talk about co-ordination!

anyway, last issue when the Bad Wookiee broke through the window it was badass but why didn't Alpha and Toliva get sucked out into space? I kept looking at the art to see if they had the blast door close or something.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Every character isn't every other character's mom or dad.

23. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Ok, its Dark Rey after she timetravelled. Settled then ;)

24. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Aphra must be part Cathar, because she seems to have nine lives.

25. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    I liked how this issue addressed my major issue with this story.