main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #37-40: A Rogue's End (4/4 released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Because of the Emperor, that's why she's still alive. Vader doesn't want to draw the Emperor's attention, first he wants to deal with more important stuff.

Veers was pretty metal on this one. I enjoyed the issue but why does Aphra keep pushing Vader? She is kinda an adrenaline junkie, isn't she? I'm pretty curious how the storyline with her dad will resolve.

As for Vulaada, I'm guessing Aphra plans to pick her up later.

Don't know why the preview for the next issue mentiones two psychodroids instead of one. I thought the blastomech was gone. What I do like however, is that T-Z is back working for Vader. And that Vader even agrees T-Z is a better torturer than himself! Droid knows how to do his job.

Art was hit and miss. While it was nice to meets Veers again, he was drawn in a very generic fashion like any other imperial officer. That was a pretty big letdown. The only character that looks cool is Vader.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Ink for Doctor Aphra #40.

3. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    With TESB-ROTJ being covered soon enough, I do wonder if we will see Jabbas Palace explored with Aphra too once her at Vaders side is over again. Aphra returning to Luke's side is also a given I think, post ROTJ, cause she knows a lot about his father and is best suited for hunting Force artifacts with him and Lor San Tekka and Savi.

She is no Mara or Lumiya but as old Marvel and books set up a redhead for Luke... Aphra might have a fling with him post ROTJ given she too is an Imperial servant that is not evil nor entirely good like those had been. Though she'd never stay around for long given she likes to move and has to return to her female lovers.

Before that though she may leave Vader to do more for Sidious directly tied to his observatories and Forcetemple hunt I bet. Aphra and World between Worlds would be fun.

I am curious though for Vulaadas fate. I still need her age/birthyear (help?).

So whereever they go in between, I guess the next big stepstones are Jabbas Palace, looting Jakku and then Forceartifact hunting with Luke and co.

Bonus points if she shows up in live action or animated form elsewhere or in a game. The Mandalorian may be too soon, right?

4. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    I think by now, it should be clear Filoni's Force religions/aspects and characters will only show up when he's using them.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    eh, Vader did go the World Between Worlds (or something incredibly close to it) in the final arc of Darth Vader Vol 2. not to say it's going to happen to everyone but we've seen it in non Filoni product.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    revan772, Daneira and ColeFardreamer like this.
  6. Wrinty

Apr 8, 2007
    That definitely was NOT the world between worlds.

7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Eh, wouldn't be so definitve since it behaved much like the World Between World's where Vader could see and hear all of the past and future, and Luke shows up too,why would it be so markedly similar if it wasn't? It certainly behaved like the World Between Worlds if it didn't look like it but as the Jedi Master said "Your eyes can decieve you don't trust them." It seems counterintuitive to declare it wasn't at all since it did so many of the same things. I like to think the differences is because Vader is a Sith (apparently Filoni said Ezra earlier communication with Yoda on Lothal was the World Between Worlds but he couldn't perceive it fully so there's a way that people could see it differently)

Did read a good fan theory on here that Momim's conduit to where Vader went may have not been the World Between Worlds but could have been based upon it. So maybe Momim wanted to reach the World Between Worlds, couldn't, and ended up with the hybrid version that Vader goes to. We saw that Palpatine was able to reach it using Sith magic (he had his cauldron there) so it's possible Sith can enter it too.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  8. Wrinty

Apr 8, 2007
    Sheev could only enter it (not really though) through Ezra. And it's not the World between worlds because Vader didn't enter whatever realm was shown in the Soule comics because Vader didn't enter it through a connection that involved Mortis.

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Sheev still got to it though, and got a hand in but both are really similar so it doesn't seem plausible to discount it completely, Ezra wasn't on Mortis, he was on Lothal with a Father, Daughter and Son mural, basically his connection was through a mystical undefined Force gateway, the same way Vader got in. Both places are way more similar than to say it absolutely isn't the same.

10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I agree with BigAl here. Some slight technical differences can always be explained with "Comics and tv-shows work differently". I don't think details matter very much in this case.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Darksiders can't enter the WBW, but the thing in the Vader comic was the dark side equivalent. He even saw his fight with Ahsoka in there, which he references in the Rebels episode when he says something like "It was foretold you would be here."

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Good point, it could be a Dark Side World Between Worlds (the best Momin and Vader could do) where they share very similar traits but you get different outputs for different Force users. Also Luke did show up at the end, just like how Sidious showed up at the World Between Worlds. They're really darn similar in like 90% anyway, even there's evidence that Vader influenced the past (giving Lil'Annie a nightmare) the same way Ezra influenced the past (by yanking Ahsoka out of the temple)

13. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    That was just a vision of Luke, same as the visions of all the other characters Vader saw. And I believe the Lil Ani stuff was Vader's fears, not anything that actually happened in his early years. The whole thing's predicated on what he fears.

Wrinty likes this.
  14. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  15. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Anyone read the Aphra Annual #3? I thought it was really good, but not 100% sure where it takes place in the timeline. I have an idea, but would love to discuss with others that have read it.

I enjoyed getting more about Winloss and Nokk. They're two of my favorites from the earlier comics. I liked that it took place on Tatooine and involved Jabba, but I don't think it HAD to. They could have been any bar and any crime boss on any other planet, so it took me a second to realize that Jabba was still alive as the Aphra events are primarily taking place between ANH and ESB. Overall, I liked that the partnerships that were created and all the "good" guys won over the "bad" guys in a creative way. The "pet" macguffin was pretty obvious, but enjoyable all the same.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  16. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    As the new bartender says he's been there three years, and the Aphra comic tends to run alongside the main series, I'd say it's 3 ABY, maybe up to a few months before ESB. I'd imagine the upcoming Empire Ascendant might give us more of an idea how Aphra works in relation to the rest of the series.

17. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    My guess...
    Given that the opening text for Annual #3 says that Aphra has earned "the favor of the Emperor and gain[ed] a precarious new position within the Empire" and that she was going through Imperial records, I'd guess that it takes place between Issues #36 and #37. At least that's where I'd pencil it in timeline for now. Granted, it opens up the fridge logic of who the heck would let her peruse Imperial records on the Executor and send out an unsecured transmission... but that's another thing, and one I'm not too worried about.

As to the overall timeline? I'd say that if my guess about it taking place around Issue #37 is correct, I'd guess that it's getting pretty close to ESB.

18. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    So, "cloaca-deficient fool" is definitely not an insult I ever expected to encounter. I'll admit that the line made me laugh out loud, but I can't help but feel that Spurrier played up Nokk's shrewishness a bit much in this issue. Though I suppose that was all just a part of
    the ruse?

19. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Disney with the force has been very interesting. I would say that the portal that Vader entered at the end of Vol.2 is some sort of way in thats different from the Lothal gate. In the years to come under Disney, the force will be explored in new and different ways. Expect to see some powers you never thought you would see in star wars. The movies have given us everything from the Kyber crystal being a super weapon when weaponised to the sequel trilogy and well no need to go everything we've seen. The two animated series has given us even more, and the novel and comic books are coming up the rear.

20. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    @The2ndQuest @AdmiralNick22 @Sinrebirth
    2/4 released

Re: #38
    Surprisingly, Triple Zero and BT are back. Trips mind has been wiped so he doesn't remember Aphra. They're used to interrogate Aphra's father, but they're not needed. He gives up information on the Rebel Alliance that last gave him supplies as he doesn't appreciate that the Rebels use old temples as bases.

Vader and crew end up going to "Asteroid Helix 13-V, near Karga." It looks like an asteroid wearing a helmet. Vader enters the temple alone and has visions of zombie Ahsoka, Yoda, Padme, Shmi, Obi-wan, and Qui-Gon before destroying some sort of altar with some glowing red energy. He leaves the temple and orders it to be shut down and bombed via Tie Bombers. Vader's shuttle leaves but ultimately says he only needs one doctor alive so they have the ride on their shuttle to decide which.

Aphra and Dad have some good bonding moments, but then are suddenly captured by "Strike Team Misericode" - Rebel Alliance Intelligence with Captain Tolvan commanding and instructing Aphra to be killed.

By they way, Vulaada is alone on Ash Moon 1 away from the action for now. In a recorded message from Aphra, she claims to have her best interest at heart. I'm sure she'll come back into play later. I don't think Aphra will leave her behind for long

21. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Meh, the writers didn't have the guts to kill off dear ol' dad. It would have ramped up Beetee's scary factor immensely and given us some tangible feeling that Aphra's not safe either. I don't feel the tension much, because I know she's going to escape through some implausible excuse again. Especially because they spoiled there will be another Aphra series, which will probably be set after TESB.

I really enjoyed the moment of Vader being rattled by the ghosts. So much in fact that he didn't notice Aphra listening in and orders the entire asteroid destroyed!

Tolvan it seems is still quite mad at Aphra, understandably so.

Again the sidecast of this book is more interesting than the main character.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    TiniTinyTony likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah Vader stuff was so very great in this issue and I was kinda buying that dear old dad was going to bite it cuz there was no way out of the situation (aside from the random explosion) and the book is ending soon but their potentially "final" heart to heart really worked well.

Bringing back Trip and BT is cool but a bit of a cheat since their arc clearly ended and "yah they're mindwiped now oops" which drains the dramatic heft from their interactions (Trip's interactions with Aphra in the final arc were fantastic but now he's back to Triple Zero). But I thought BT was completely blown apart at the end when he was possessed by space spores or whatever? Also wouldn't wiping Triple Zero wipe the matrix which is the whole point of him, he's not really a protocol droid, he's a killer matrix stuck in a protocol droid.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  23. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I really like that Ahsoka got a cameo in the ghosts from Vader's past part.

24. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  25. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm honestly kind of wondering what Aphra will do when the Rebellion unexpectedly wins at Endor and she's considered a galactic war criminal.

Voltron64 and Gamiel like this.