main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #37-40: A Rogue's End (4/4 released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I just picked up all 6 aphra trades. I think I might wait to read them until 7 comes out. I like aphra from the mainline series and vader comics. I think an aphra Disney plus show could be interesting, there's a lot of potential there.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  2. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Aphra bringing Vader to a planet her father was obsessed with itsnt a "Unlikely out"

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    revan772 and Elderscrollsfan3434 like this.
  3. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Ha looks like I called it in a way... nice endgame for this comic and can't wait for her next appearnces in a few months and new arcs!

She totally used her strengths brilliantly to counter any opposition. Vader also was nice in this one. I like when he is more realistic in portrayal and not this overpowered villain. He still was very powerful though.

What I do wonder now is, will the next Aphra comics continue the themes or bring something completely new to her life, including new companions? Old ones may not be all wasted but it certainly was ending a chapter of her life and starting a new one despite her staying true to herself.

Also any upcoming life action Aphra series that is rumored for Disney+... when will it be set? after the comics? during? Before? I can't see them passing up the opportunity to use Vader alongside her. And post ROTJ Aphra spoils any upcoming stories that bridge TESB to ROTJ and probably end with her in Jabbas Palace as I hope.

4. dragonpiece

dragonpiece Jedi Knight

Aug 4, 2014
    So I just finished a 2 week binge of star wars, darth vader and dr. aphra...man, I just got so much more appreciation out of these characters. But for Doctor Aphra specifically, I think what the poster on the last page describing her as a evil ****, but out evil ***** is the best description lol. She was such a fun character to hate and want to succeed, even though we know she deserves everything coming to her. I hate I've gotta wait till April to see what's next(and I know she will show up in the one shot next week, but I don't see much happening in those 10 pages when we know some of them are just Tolvan, her dad and her ward.

Honestly, I am also concerned about what happens in her next comics. We've had the same writer on this book so long it'll be weird to have a new writer tackling her.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  5. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Vader blindly stumbling from one trap into the next isn't quite likely. Kieron Gillen's Vader or movie Vader wouldn't have acted that way. He's not a berserker type villain who's unaware of his surroundings. Some writers seem to forget that.

6. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    he would if he was already overwhelmed by the force which is what happened when aphra got him to the confessional

7. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    Aphra's the Star Wars' Batman. As in with arbitrarily enough preparation she can beat/outwit anyone even though she's just a "normal". She should try to pull a prank on Sheev next.

8. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I love the end. I hope the next series is between esb and rotj, and I hope the tv series (fingers crossed!) is post rotj. I love Aphra, and while I did think there were some over the top moments, I loved this last issue a lot.

dragonpiece likes this.
  9. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Wrong thread.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  10. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Now you make her sound like a Mary Sue, which is kinda what Batman is.

In truth it's just inconsistent writing. Sometime she acts dumb and suicidal as hell, other times she is genius trap setter. Her personality on the books is all over the place as well.
    If you don't happen to have a fitting villain for your story, just throw in Vader and dumb him down. Happened on the main series as well.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  11. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    Maybe. The writers justify it all by saying that she's nigh unpredictable.

12. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I just recently binged Aphra & had the same feeling. What she beats Vader? Give me a break. She does appear at times bright and others just lucky as well.