main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V Doctor Aphra: An Audiobook Original

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The one big flaw on the audios are the length. Structuring them into an expicitly episodic structure instead of one 6-7 hour block.

I ran it through OpenAudible to get 53 tracks but it's still a bit unwieldy

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I like to read with background music so an audiobook really wouldn't work. If I did a lot of driving or was commuting by train I'd probably make use of them though.

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    My problem with audiobooks is that I can't do anything else.

I need to stop or I can't follow it.

But that's probably my dyspraxia.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ding ding ding! Same here. And that's the big problem - each of these is 6-7 hours!

Sinrebirth likes this.
  5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think that's why it's not a format that appeals to me. When I'm reading I usually have the radio on at the same time, especially if I'm winding down before bedtime.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  6. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Can't argue with that, although doctor was not at her worst at the time (her highest level of chaotic evilness was during the Worst Among Equals arc).

IMO, the biggest missed opportunity in this audiobook - lack of expanded conversation between Aphra and Emperor. The biggest revelation - the fact that Aphra knows about Vader being Luke's father, although that has not so far been mentioned again.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I suspect there were limits on how much they could expand.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Listening to this now. And just finished. I really like the fourth wall breaks and I usually don’t. Have they ever done something like this an adaptation of a comic book into a “book” it’s interesting but I love it.

Doctor Aphra is a good listen!

Stymi likes this.
  9. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Does it adapt a comic book story? Haven't gotten to this one yet.

I can see 4th wall breaking working well for an Aphra story.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Yep it adapts the first Vader comic run and the first mainline Star Wars comic run as well. Basically following Aphra and her thoughts during those comic runs.

there are new things thrown in as well that make it worth the listen even if you have read both comics.

Stymi likes this.
  11. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Pretty neat. Pretty sure that's never been done.

12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It made the script book an incredibly easy read. So well done. Favourite SW book of the year.

Jedi Ben and Stymi like this.
  13. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Wow. Big praise!

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The script book is nice to have but the audio version does things that can't be replicated. It uses the medium very effectively.

Stymi likes this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I just have the script version just to have it. Plus I think it was gifted to me.

but I think for tempest Runner, Jedi Lost and Aphra you need to listen to them. Don’t read it.

if you have to get it in one media get it in audiobook

Stymi and Jedi Ben like this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Agreed but a neat suggestion is to listen with the scriptbook, might help keep a sense of who's who.

Stymi likes this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    That was my plan, but I have so far just listened to Dooku Jedi Lost and Aphra while driving. They call to me as a driving audio book. Don’t ask me why.

I’ll probably do it with tempest runner.

18. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Jedi Lost was fantastic.

Interesting we're getting these full cast audio dramas now.

Back to early Star Wars roots, actually! I love those radio dramas.

Jedi Ben and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    One big missed opportunity is not making the older ones from the 90s as easily available MP3 files.

20. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I think I actually did listen to them on my phone. Been a while. Don't remember how I did that. They have to be somewhere to download, I'd guess. (I don't mean illegally either)

*Edit: I probably borrowed them from the library

Last edited: Aug 16, 2023
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Jedi Lost was fantastic save for Rael’s voice. Which was just wrong. Somehow.

Stymi likes this.
  22. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Finished listening to this last night for the first time. I thought it was a fun Star Wars audio drama featuring a sassy rogue archaeologist and familiar characters from the OT such as Vader, Han, Leia, Luke, and the Emperor. Voices varied in quality with Vader, Aphra, Luke, and the Emperor all being well done, but Han and Leia being far less convincing. Overall a quick and enjoyable listen for me. I've enjoyed all the Star Wars audio dramas I've listened to so far.

Jedi Ben likes this.