main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra (Vol. 2) April 2020

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    sorry for the double post but
    you will love this https://numidianprime.wordpress.com/2021/04/18/the-house-of-tagge/

2. Kadar Ordo

Kadar Ordo Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 9, 2021
    How does one pronounce "Tagge"? Is it just the word "tag" or is it more like "tag-ee"? Or even "tag-ay"?

3. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    More importantly and related to the above article, what is the deal with the fact that the current edition of ANH on D+ *still* has "General Taggi" in the credits? Yes, I just checked. With everything else that's been done to that film, it's weird that that hasn't been fixed, or, alternatively, the Tagges turned to Taggis in "new canon".

I mean, I guess it's also a little odd that the Tagge was ever the universally accepted "real" name when the canon-est source of all time says otherwise onscreen, and still does after all this time, but hey.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    IMO, it went from "Taggi" to "Tagge" thanks to all sources after ANH using the novel rather than the credits as the basis for naming conventions.

5. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    One day, we'll get a version of the films released with more comprehensive (and corrected) cast lists in the credits.

6. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    What the hell is even going on with Lucky's story line? I'm having a hard time following... or really caring.

BigAl6ft6 and Golbolco like this.
  7. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Yeah, my eyes sort of glaze over during his scenes.

8. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    Well, Durge has returned.

I am not super excited by his return. I like his redesigned armor; getting rid of the big Mandalorian symbol on the chest seemed smart since he's a huge Mandalorian hater. You don't often see people wear the symbol of causes they want to drive to extinction. His personality was flat, although I wasn't expecting a big bombastic entrance where he terminates Aphra and Sana or anything unrealistic like that. What surprised me was that he was pretty merciful and apparently took offense to being betrayed.

The fact that Aphra goes out of her way to screw him over is both in character for her and also contrived in a way that I sense will not lead to a satisfying ending between her and Durge. For a while I was leaning towards the theory that it wasn't Durge but rather someone in his armor, but now I'm certain that he's the real deal.

Over all, I thought that this issue was basically bait for Legends fans such as myself, and I don't expect it to have worked.

Also, for a moment I really believed that the cymotes were divviks from Prelude to Rebellion.

9. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    He’ll be back

BigAl6ft6 and Golbolco like this.
  10. R4-D4

R4-D4 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 6, 2003
    is he stiil gen'dai in canon? i hope so, but they didn't give us any indication for this.

11. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    My cup runneth over [face_love] This series gives me so many Tagge thoughts and feels. Been jotting some down and now trying to smush them together into this big disorganized post instead of spamming the thread as they come to me:

• Aww, Aphra has a crush on Domina! Called her "stunning" in issue #5 and blushed and stuttered when speaking to her in issue #11:

• Domina in issue #9, on hiring Aphra for the engine job: "If you want results, Lapin... you have to delegate."
      Orman in Evasive Action: End Game, when frustrated with a worker's report: "I swear, if you want anything done right..." ["...you have to do it yourself."]
      Nice little bit of contrast here in how they go about running the family business.

• More on that coolheadedness vs. hotheadedness: I'm enjoying how incredibly competent and in control of herself Domina is (especially in contrast with how often Orman and Silas got repeatedly owned in Legends) but damn she is COLD. The way she speaks of Ronen and Ebann after their respective demises might be too brutal and detached even for me. Not really unprecedented behavior, I suppose -- some of the Tagges just did not react strongly or at all to some of the other Tagges' fates in Legends -- but this feels a degree or two stronger than that. A big part of the entertainment I got out of them was the occasions where they demonstrated tense/annoyed/disdainful love-you-but-can't-stand-you-might-avenge-you relationships with each other.

• Sorry but I'm still not done squeeing over this glorious family portrait from issue #5:
      [​IMG]
      Look at Rugrat Ronen's little balled-up Fists of Rage and Angry Eyebrows! Look at Ulric and Silas posing so sassily! Look at Silas pencilling in his eyebrows for the first time ever! Look at how deeply unpleasant each and every one of their personalities are lmaooo they're perfectly imperfect~
      I've laughed thinking about this post nearly every single day since you've posted it, by the way. I want to bully him so bad. Orman, why the hell are you dressed so normal? Brown trousers on a Tagge. How the mightily weird have fallen. Not garish enough! You can do so much better worse than this.

• Ebann Drake, issues #10, 11, and 12:
      Of course my new Tagge dies the issue after he's introduced, lol. Oh well, hi Ebann, bye Ebann! :p It was cute when Aphra assumed you were Domina's "runaway lover" at first.

I noticed Ebann's outfit and the outfits Aphra and Sana steal to wear at the auction have an obelus / division sign (÷) on them. Please tell me this signals to the reader (a) more familial strife, internal fractures, and assorted Tagge nonsense (b) which will be explored in extreme biographical detail for my entertainment, thanks in advance~~

Another design note, from the artist:

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    cool moment where with Durge saying that's really difficult to kill ("So am I") which felt like a shout-out to when Obi-Wan exploded him in CW. Although Durge didn't talk in the CW series aside from a laugh but he's downright chatty here. I didn't read any of his Legends / OG Clone Wars comics runs not sure if he was quiet/near mute there too. But hey chatty Durge I can deal with cuz he still blows stuff up.

13. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/marvel-november-2021-star-wars-comics-exclusive
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #16

ALYSSA WONG (W) • MINKYU JUNG (A)
    COVER BY SARA PICHELLI
    LUCASFILM ANNIVERSARY VARIANT COVER BY CHRIS SPROUSE
    VARIANT COVER BY SWAY

A DEADLY GAME!

• DOCTOR APHRA and SANA STARROS have escaped the VERMILLION, but there’s no escaping CRIMSON DAWN: their spies are EVERYWHERE!
    • As DOMINA TAGGE contends with moles within TAGGE CORPORATION and Aphra struggles with the damage inflicted on her by a POWERFUL ARTIFACT, they strike one last bargain…
    • But who can Aphra really trust?

Barriss_Coffee and Senpezeco like this.
  14. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    !!! I’m pumped, and that cover reminds me of this one:
    [​IMG]

15. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    That's got to be an intentional reference.

16. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
  17. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Yep. I love it.

18. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    A little tidbit from the author's tweets and then a lot of me being me, so feel free to skip this post if I'm being annoyingly excitable, lol:

"If you like Tagge drama..." Do we like it, Lit?!

[​IMG]

I am THRIVING y'all aaaaaaaa

Can't shake the thought that at least some of the mole activity within TaggeCo mentioned lately in this series -- or the hit ordered by "a shadowy organization" on Domina mentioned in the solicit for the Boushh one-shot -- might actually be the shenanigans of a jealous family member... [face_nail_biting] At first I thought it was solely Crimson Dawn making maneuvers, but maybe some lethal cuckoo family squabbling might be added for spice, too? [face_thinking] I don't have much to support my argument, though. Just a combination of vibes from the teasers and asides in dialogue and being waaay too giddy...

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Omg, Aphra, what happened to your mouth!?
    Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 6.44.25 PM.png

20. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    IDWs Mace Windu is worse... way worse!

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Not IDW, Marvel.

22. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    They're referring to the latest IDW Adventures issue. Mace certainly has...some looks in that story.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oho? Thanks, the older Marvel one got attention on the art.

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well, stylized maybe, but not worse than Marvel Mace Windu. Same with this latest Aphra, just a little stylized- that one image I posted was the exception.

Though, this one shot from Adventures actually is pretty bad-
    Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 9.59.36 AM.png

25. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    That's the one.