main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    SPOILERS FOR THE AMERICANS!

2. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    Sorry! fixed that :oops:

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    (This is all re: the TARDIS)
    I always thought that would look cool, but now that I see it I don't love it. It kinda ruins the sweep of the "bigger on the inside" moments. Though the set as a whole doesn't seem to be constructed well for sweeping "look how big!" shots.

Edit:
    Nah, actually, I'll go further. I'm enjoying the episodes, but gut reaction, this is my least favorite TARDIS interior ever, followed by Eleven's first one, and for similar reasons. It's such an overdone set of odds and ends, (why is there a toy TARDIS on the console?) and hard to get nice shots in, too. Especially coming right off one of the best ones in years. Give me Eight's, or the Eleven/Twelve console, or the classic one, or the secondary one from Four's era, or the War or Nine/Ten variants any day.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  5. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    I regret that I have but one like to give.

6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    First reactions: Lovely episode. New TARDIS will take some getting used to.

7. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Not having a TV license kind of sucks when a new season of Doctor Who rolls around. I'm hoping they hurry up and put the episode up on Google Play.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Very good episode. I enjoyed it more than the premiere (and I did like the premiere). So it looks like the Stenza will be recurring threat which I guess means I'll have to see teeth face again. [face_sick]:p

I liked the new TARDIS interior. Absolutely loved the new title sequence!

9. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Just saw "The Ghost Monument". Haven't read the other reviews yet.

I thought it was OK, with some fine location photography. The character development of the Companions was very good. The ending of the race was both a bit predictable and pretty abrupt, but I didn't mind it too much. The titles and the new theme arrangement were OK, but I was surprised that the producer and director are now listed even before the episode title and writer.
    I'm not real big on the new TARDIS interior; my favorite arrangement remains the one from the McGann movie. At times, Jodie Whittaker seems to have a Tennant vibe, though I hope they don't go too far with the whole "how dare you defend yourself!" thing. It also looks like they're building up the Stenza to be the next arch nemesis race, as if we don't already have loads of them. And I really, really hope the whole "Timeless Child" isn't going to be yet another "Hybrid": a central, all-important mystery to the Doctor that has never been even hinted at and ultimately means nothing.
    Oh, and why does BBC America insist on putting in the needless flash-forwards during the commercial breaks?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    gezvader28 likes this.
  10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I got the sense that the Timeless Child would perhaps be the Doctor herself, perhaps harkening back to the Doctor's childhood. We only really got a small hint of that on S3 (New Who era) towards the end of that season.

Also Rosa Parks next week!

11. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    The adult Doctor tends to fit the definition of Timeless Child to a T :p

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I thought the episode was pretty good. Still not a fan of the opening/closing sequences. Too murky and I don't care for the music.

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I thought the end titles were a good mix of the classic/Tennant era themes.

PCCViking likes this.
  14. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    They actually showed the end credits on BBC America? I changed the channel as soon as the episode was done because, usually, the end credits are shrunk down and tuned out so they can run spoiler-heavy previews of the next episode, followed by promos for whatever other thing their pushing that week.

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yep, they did. Full screen and full audio.

16. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Season 11 is coming with a deliberate strategy not to actually spoil what's next :p

PCCViking and Juliet316 like this.
  17. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Okay, I'm all caught up.

I'm absolutely in love with the entire direction this series is going in so far. I've already professed my love for the terrifying, synaesthetic nightmare of a Rorschach test that they've used for the opening credits. And I could ramble on for paragraphs about how Jodie is nailing it as The Doctor. Her reaction this episode to seeing the Tardis for the first time since Christmas was so perfect that it made me well up a little bit. However, there's other little changes that I'm appreciating. Chibnall seems to be dialling way back on snarky wisecracks and is content to slow the pacing down, allowing room for the characters to breathe a bit. This isn't quite the bombastic space opera done on a BBC budget that it was under RTD or Moffat. This is feeling a little more intimate, taking time to show the viewer the still frosty relationship between Graham and Ryan and how the grief of their loss impacted them and letting us sit on the boat to slowly give us the motivations for why the guest characters are so ruthless in their race to the finish.

I also knew that Chibnall was fibbing when he claimed that there wasn't going to be a running plot line this season. We've got the Stanza being set up as a recurring, dangerous threat and the Doctor having a deep seated fear being teased. So we're still being given story hooks to keep us coming back, without feeling overbearing. At least, not yet.

The on location shooting was fantastic, especially doubled with the fancy new camera set up the Doctor Who crew have been given. So we're even getting some really nice cinematography, something that can be a bit lacking in prior seasons. It even has a nice, subtle golden colour grading that helps distinguish its look from the darker style of Moffat's era and the neon blues and purples of RTD's.

I'm just really impressed all around. Season 11 is shaping up to be incredibly refreshing.

Just please, for the love of god, don't **** up the Rosa Parks episode.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Episode title for this Sunday - Rosa. UK air time is 6:55-7:45 PM on BBC1.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    It didn't have any roundels, which is a deal-breaker for me.

I totally agree with you on the "how dare you defend yourself!" thing. It's a very NuWho preoccupation that's stupidly extreme, very contrived and makes little sense, imo. The Doctor was quite against pacifism in his second adventure when he was encouraging the pacifist Thals to fight against the Daleks.
    It sounds a bit like the famous-but-abandoned Cartmel master-plan.

Anyway, I wonder if they will reveal that the Doctor gives birth to herself, then abandons the child on Gallifrey with no knowledge of his origins, making the Doctor a paradox. It would make sense with the Doctor being a woman being a necessity for the new showrunner, as I understand it was.
    Edit:
    Oh, and the starting credits remind me of the Troughton era's opening titles. I like them.

Overall I think Jodie Whitaker is settling in fine, if a bit noticeably Tennant-like. It always takes a few episodes for the actor playing the Doctor to settle into their own rhythm.

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    UGH! I hope not.

Random Comments likes this.
  21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Thirteen seems less sure of herself than the previous incarnations. Like she's still trying to get her feet under her. The fear she had at the end when she thought she had failed them and just the sheer joy she expresses when the TARDIS finally shows up was portrayed brilliantly by Jodie. She's still 100% the Doctor but I'm not sure she believes it yet. Which could lead to some excellent character growth. I'm loving this take so far.

EDIT: I also think part of it is the Doctor working through what happened to Grace. I didn't really like the fact that she died at first because 1) I really liked Grace and was hoping to see more of her, 2) It was too predictable and 3) I feared her death would be the catalyst for the characters to run off to have adventures with the Doctor. But I don't think that's what's happening. I think running off with the Doctor is exactly what Grace would have wanted them to do and damn sure would have went with them. But we're also seeing the characters being effected and dealing with her loss. Not just with Graham and Ryan but with the Doctor too. While Graham and Ryan are trying to figure out exactly how to move on and what they mean to each other going forward the Doctor is having sort of an existential crisis. She had her big "I am the Doctor" moment but after what happened to Grace she's less sure now. Has she been fundamentally changed inside? Is she still the Doctor? Of course she is but I think she's going to have to figure that out for herself over the course of this series.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Which does make a bit of sense when you consider that she's worked with Tennant on Broadchurch, so it's understandable that she maybe unconsciously copying some of his style at first.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  23. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    :eek: @ the opening titles. These are my favourite ones since Eccelstone. They definitely remind me of the classic look and sound, just darker. Beautifully done.

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  25. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I've just learned that the Rosa Parks episode is co-written by Malorie Blackman. I don't know why she isn't the only writer on the episode, but my interest is very much piqued. If there's anyone that can do Parks justice, it's her.

@Dandelo Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    Juliet316 likes this.