main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Given that the series box set isn't out yet, I wouldn't count on that. Christmas specials are usually included, with only Capaldi's final episode being the only Christmas special not to get packaged into a box set, and that was presumably because the series 10 box set was already out and they didn't want to package Capaldi's final episode into Jodie Whittaker's first season.

2. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Series 11:
    https://www.amazon.com.au/Doctor-Wh...45774028&sr=1-1&keywords=Doctor+who+series+11

Resolution:
    https://www.amazon.com.au/Doctor-Wh...5773968&sr=8-1&keywords=Doctor+who+resolution

The links are to the Australian Amazon site but a quick search on amazon.co.uk shows Series 11 released on Jan 14th and Resolution on Feb 18th

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

3. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Today, I visited my nephew Duane's house and gave my niece Addison her Christmas present: a Barbie Doctor set. I told Duane that, for a bit, I wasn't sure if Addison wanted a Barbie Doctor or a Barbie Doctor Who. Duane laughed and said Addison wouldn't know who it was, but would be crazy about it anyway.

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    so Crave in Canada has a Doctor Who Christmas episode bundle although the app kinda glitched out on me and instead of selecting an episode it just autoplayed the first one in line. Thankfully, hadn't seen it before (only Doctor Who Christmas Special I saw was Last Christmas which was great cuz it was freakin' Aliens with Santa) but this was A Christmas Carol which was also very awesome. All of the Christmas Carol bits are hit with past, present and future in interesting ways. And Michael Gambon is in it!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, that was a good one.

Also... Daleks! :D

I haven't been really excited for the New Years Special given my general disappointment with season 11 but I'm definitely intrigued now!

BigAl6ft6 and Master_Rebado like this.
  6. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Watching "Blink" on BBC America right now.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    One of my favorite episodes.

PCCViking likes this.
  8. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I once saw a video where they combined footage from Blink, Time of Angels and Star Trek: Voyager to make it seem like the Weeping Angels were the villains for a Voyager episode. It was really well done, spliced seamlessly. :)

9. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Just finished watching my copy of the McGann movie. One of my favorite stories from the series. Every year on Dec. 30th, I watch it and "Blackadder Back and Forth".

10. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    And, from this exact moment and onwards, i'll be wishing that the McGann movie and Black Adder Back and Forth were one combined project :(

Baldrick as a companion...

"Doctor, I have a cunning plan!"

"Oh please don't share with me that horrendous recipe for soil and saliva coffee again!"

See?!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  11. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    A little Children in Need clip here:

12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Well, that was a supreme episode.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I spent the last couple of months catching up on the last 3 1/2 years of Who (thanks, Moffat!)

Well, I was caught up...

halibut and Juliet316 like this.
  14. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Utter tripe. A writer who can't write, a composer who can't compose, and a VFX team who have access to a spectrum. Awful.

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Would you say this is better or worse than A Town Called Mercy?

PCCViking likes this.
  16. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Don't know why Mercy is the metric (I think Mercy is a very solid ep), but I'd say this was weaker than Mercy, but not terrible. The new design on the villain was neat, especially what they did with it in the first half.

Apart from that, Chibnall's usual writing showed up, and half the cast had nothing to do, but it was one of the better eps from the last year I thought, if only for a great villain alone.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    @halibut hates Mercy with a passion, so that's why I asked.

halibut and darkspine10 like this.
  18. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I really enjoyed that!

Probably in my top 3 of series 11!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  19. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    A Town Called Mercy would've been great if it had Daleks in it.

This didn't have enough Dalek. Too long on father & son interaction & whatever else.

Manipulation by the creature itself was interesting as we've not seen Daleks do a lot without their armoured shell.

The writing for the Dalek was fine. It had great lines & was capable of getting the better of the Doctor several times (though why she was confused by its abilities was odd, they are a race of genius engineers they should know how to disable and counter technology) and it had badass fight moments.

The rest, meh.
    But unlike previous episodes, with a villain that good one can overlook most of the flaws in the rest of it.

I agree that some of the visual effects weren't great, especially with the Dalek flying & landing or shooting missiles.
    But this isn't Game of Thrones, BBC has limited budget for such things.
    Surely crappiness is part of Who appeal. What we get now is far better than bubble paper monsters and wonky sets.

Rew and darkspine10 like this.
  20. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I haven't seen the episode yet, but I grew up when Doctor Who was characterised by giant rubber snakes and tin foil Cybermen. The special effects on post-2005 Who have never been that amazing either, with the most impressive looking episodes dating very quickly. So complaining about the special effects in Doctor Who is kind of churlish to me.

21. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    ATCM still by far the worst. Resolution is just the latest in a very poorly written series. This was Chibnalls chance to pull out the stops with a classic monster and make an episode of Doctor Who. He failed.

I'm not going to stop watching, but I will no longer look forward to new episodes.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  22. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Given it's competition, that's hardly resounding praise.

23. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    well the Dalek was good , but the rest ...

Ryan is such a gormless berk and the soap opera stuff with his dad was crap , so were the the flirting young couple and their sub-Richard Curtis dialogue . And I don't know what was going on at the end with those micro-wave bits (is Chibnall an A-Team fan or something?)

24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Had to avoid this thread til now as I only just finished the recording from last night. Like others have said, the Dalek part was pretty good but I could have done less with dad and son. The revelation about UNIT - wonder if that will be followed up next season or if it's just a toss-aside..

25. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    The issue with UNIT?

I blame Brexit

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Juliet316 , Mar17swgirl and Rew like this.