main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    The BBC Master!

Frontier In Space is on DW Classic channel now.

2. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Just finished watching Planet of the Daleks.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I've just rewatched Genesis of the Daleks. I'm not as keen on it as some, but it's very well done. It's not often you get consistently good acting across the board on a Classic Who serial, but everyone in this gives good performances, and Michael Wisher is outstanding as Davros.

4. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I only have one complaint with Genesis; the sledge hammer Nazi-Germany politics.

It's certainly compatible, but if you didn't know any better, you'd swear you were watching a parallel universe where the Daleks were collaborating with Hitler in World War 2.

I'm not just talking about the uniforms - they even gave them the accents!

We get it, they're space Nazis.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  5. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    ...the characters in Genesis don't have German accents.

6. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Just watched The Sontaran Experiment. I half expected the Sontaran to do the "Sontar-ha!" chant. :p

7. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    First episode filmed entirely on location. Actually, not sure if there are any others.

Kenneth Morgan and Juliet316 like this.
  8. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Survival was too, basically as the location shoot for Ghost Light's studio sessions :) There are probably some New-Who examples too, a lot of castle or factory stand-ins rather than sets.

Juliet316 and halibut like this.
  9. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Would have to have no TARDIS scenes ;)

Juliet316 and darkspine10 like this.
  10. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Heaven Sent could be an easy example then, pretty sure most of that was shot in a bunch of Welsh Castles rather than being in-studio, though there could be an exception :p

11. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    "Survival was one of only a handful of Doctor Who serials to be recorded completely on BBC Outside Broadcast video, instead of the mix of OB and studio video that was more common during the late 1980s, and the mix of film and video that was usual before them. The other stories to be recorded solely on OB video were The Sontaran Experiment (1975), Delta and the Bannermen (1987), Silver Nemesis (1988) and The Curse of Fenric (1989)."

Re: Heaven Sent - Definitely filmed in Cardiff and Caerphilly castles, but I'm pretty sure there's studio based stuff - wall chipping scene etc

Lordban, Juliet316 and darkspine10 like this.
  12. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
  13. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Having watched all of the nuWho through Series 8, here is how I would rank the various Doctor companion teams:
    1. The Tenth Doctor and Rose
    2. The Ninth Doctor and Rose
    3. The Eleventh Doctor and Amy/Rory
    4. The Tenth Doctor and Martha
    5. The Eleventh Doctor and Clara
    6. The Tenth Doctor and Donna
    7. The Twelfth Doctor and Clara

Between the Twelfth Doctor's abrasiveness at times and Clara's attempted betrayal of him in Dark Water, I just had a hard time watching them as a good Doctor-Companion matchup. Donna wasn't my favorite of the Tenth Doctor companions, but I liked her better when she became the fulltime companion after the Christmas Special the year before.

One thing's for sure, I doubt the 9th Doctor would have forgiven Clara as easily as the Twelfth Doctor did/seemed to do.

Lordban and Juliet316 like this.
  14. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Funny, I have Ten/Donna near the top of my Doctor/Companion teams and Ten/Martha near the bottom (his treatment of her is atrocious in S3 and I was glad that she got the exit she deserved, I.E., walking out with her head held high and not looking back.), I think Donna was exactly what the Doctor needed in S4 and I really really still hate Donna's ending.

As for Twelve forgiving Clara so easily, I do think he factors in the fact that she's acting out of grief at that point and not true malice. Plus, the Doctor has forgiven companions betraying/trying to kill him before (Trulough anybody?)

Rew, Lordban and darkspine10 like this.
  15. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    I think repeated viewings of Series 4 will eventually raise my opinion of Ten/Donna. In fact, after the most recent viewing of The Runaway Bride, I was appalled about how her family treated her initially after she vanished from the wedding. Her own mother...well, don't get me started on how I view some of the relatives of the Companions. Donna's mother would be at the bottom of that list, while Jackie would be at the top (or no worse than 2nd).

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Martha's mum wasn't that much better!

I put 11/Amy at the top, followed by 11/Clara. 10/Donna comes in 3rd. 13/fam comes last but only due to Chibnall's terrible writing

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Martha's mom kind of came around in the end (The Year that Never Was probably had a lot to do with that).

18. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    There are several scenes shot inside the TARDIS in Heaven Sent, which metaphorically represent the Doctor's thought processes.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    halibut, Juliet316 and darkspine10 like this.
  19. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Not to mention she was worried about her daughter and was being manipulated by the Master's agents.

Donna's mother acted horribly of her own free will.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    But Donna had Wilf which more than makes up for anything. Wilf and Brian (Williams) in their own spinoff would be immense, with a side of Strax thrown in

21. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Attempting to rank NuWho Doctor/Companion teams (and failing :p )

Loved them - 9/Rose, 10/Rose, 10/Donna, 10/Wilf (fight me! :p ), 12/Clara, 12/Bill
    Liked them - 10/Martha, 11/Amy&Rory
    Didn't like them - 11/Clara, 13/Fam

I'm having a lot of fun writing Donna's mother at the moment. I might have to change keyboards after I'm done due to her caustic effect.

Dark Water is actually when I decided I was on board with the 12/Clara duo - "Do you really think I care so little for you that betraying me would make a difference?" And he does understand very quickly what Clara's blackmail is about, on top of having seen her coming.

Juliet316 and PCCViking like this.
  22. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I think you're the first person I've ever met that puts 12/Clara over 11/Clara - especially to that degree!

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Clara with 11 felt like a plot device, especially after the departures of Amy and Rory. Clara with 12 felt like a real person, flaws and all.

Joystick Chevron and Lordban like this.
  24. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I liked Clara whoever she was with , but they seemed to change her character quite a bit when Capaldi came in , suddenly she was a 'control-freak'? that seemed to come out of nowhere to me.

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Not gonna lie, I think if I went through even a quarter of what the Companions go through with the Doctor, I might turn into a bit of a control freak too.

Dagobahsystem and Lordban like this.