main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Today I saw a shirt with a mummy and the words, "Are you my mummy?"

I almost asked if the person was a Doctor Who fan. :)

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Juliet316 and Jedi Ben like this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Swipe right to read the rest of the comic

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
    Juliet316 and PCCViking like this.
  4. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Finished rewatching Flux again, and I enjoyed it better. But it still could have gone an extra two episodes to better resolve everything, instead of the rush in the end.
    (I knew, Covid restrictions).

But they really messed up UNIT's history, especially the Brigadier. He was only a corporal in 1967? So, unless the Third Doctor era was supposed to take place in the late 70's or 80's, then that was an awfully quick promotion for the Brigadier in such a short period of time.

Gamiel and Juliet316 like this.
  5. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Flux was classic Chibnall. Brilliant setup, twists and questions along the way, and a poor denouement. Watch Broadchurch for an example.

PCCViking and Jedi Ben like this.
  6. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    My sisters came home for the weekend so we had one of our customary randomised Who weekends :) This time we got:

Planet of the Daleks (1973): Tropey, Terry Nation never being strong on originality, but strangely funny to watch. All the Thals were blandly identical, and the Daleks weren't too menacing, but it was pacey enough for six parts.
    The Face of Evil (1976): A very solid slice of the Hinchcliffe era, Tom Baker's on fine form, the jungle sets are really nice, and mad computer Xoanon is a unique villain. It's the debut of Leela, one of the best companions ever, who will knife people casually and is played compellingly by Louise Jameson.
    Shada (1980, as originally planned): A really excellent unfinished masterpiece, the semi-recent animation and new model effects make it surprisingly watchable. The side characters are all delightful, the Cambridge location filming is gorgeous to watch, and the villain, Skagra, is one of the show's best, over-the-top camp outfits combined with subtle menace and a blisteringly ambitious motive and plan. A tragedy that it was ever cancelled, but at least it's finally viewable.
    The Time Meddler (1965): I'm not as a big a fan of the period of history chosen (Saxons and Vikings, 1066), but there's a lot to like. The Doctor, unusually for this era, spends most of his time alone away from his companions. Vicki has a strong role showing newcomer Steven the ropes, and the antagonist is a fun playful guy with such plans as 'blowing up Vikings with an atomic cannon just to see what happens'.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
    Juliet316 and halibut like this.
  7. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Up in storage, I've got an issue of "Doctor Who Magazine" with a UNIT timeline. It pretty much placed the Third Doctor's tenure with UNIT during the mid-late 70s, sticking with Sarah Jane's 1980 remark from "Pyramids of Mars". I don't remember the specific years, but it also moves "Mawdryn Undead" past the 1983 date mentioned.
    But, considering how many times the course of history has been derailed and left that way on the show, everything is pretty much permanently vague on that subject.

Juliet316 and PCCViking like this.
  8. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Just rewatched Eve of the Daleks. For all my complaints about the Daleks being overused and all the complaints about Chibnall's tenure, the Dalek stories have been excellent.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  10. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    There's an upcoming audio story where Jo is reunited with the Third Doctor. Presumably this is either shortly before or after she met the 11th Doctor.

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    darkspine10 and Juliet316 like this.
  12. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I’m still a few season behind on his appearances, but David Warner’s Doctor is always an absolute delight. One of the best actors to take on the role.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm wondering - since they've successfully re-cast the First Doctor with David Bradley and can now use the character regularly, should the same be done with the Second & Third Doctor?
    Or if actors have become too old/don't want to do it anymore (like Tom Baker), should they also be re-cast?

And who could play them?

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You mean for TV?

Harder one to answer - Troughton might be able to but Treloar doesn't look like Pertwee. The advantage BF have on recasts is they only have to nail the voices.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Sean Pertwee could easily play Jon Pertwee.

16. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    But I think he said he doesn't want to, and I don't blame him. Maybe a one off cameo, but on a semi-regular basis?

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Reece Shearsmith played Troughton in An Adventure in Space and Time when Bradley was first cast as Hartnell/First Doctor, could he not do it again?

There are plenty of actors out there who could do a great job with those parts, doesn't just have to be the sons of the original actors (though I'm sure Sean Pertwee would do a great job portraying his father)

18. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Peter Capaldi already played Jon Pertwee [face_whistling]

Mar17swgirl, Juliet316 and PCCViking like this.
  19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think if an actor’s passed away you can go ahead and recast. I’m less fond of it when the actor is still alive and would prefer to sit out, feels too much like scabbing.

I was going to add “you should get some kind of permission from their next of kin” to that first sentence but can you imagine the nightmare of trying to unravel that for Patrick “What the **** is going on in that Personal Life section on Wikipedia?” Troughton?

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Each Doctor and their main/overarching nemesis during their tenure:

The First Doctor: the Daleks
    The Second Doctor: The Cybermen
    The Third Doctor: The Master
    The Fourth Doctor: Davros and the Master
    The Fifth Doctor: The Master
    The Sixth Doctor: The Master
    The Seventh Doctor: *No real main/overarching enemy given the Doctor's biggest bads only each appeared once in his tenure*
    The Eighth Doctor: The Master
    The Ninth Doctor: The Daleks
    The Tenth Doctor: The Daleks (Cult of Skaro) and the Master
    The Eleventh Doctor: Madame Kovarian and the Silence
    The Twelfth Doctor: Missy
    The Thirteenth Doctor: The Master
    The Fourteenth Doctor:
    The Celestial Toymaker, it looks like.
    The Fifteenth Doctor: obviously remains to be seen.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I’d put the Valeyard over the Master for Six, in both of his appearances he’s actually playing second fiddle to another baddie (The Rani and the Valeyard). By contrast the Valeyard is a secondary antagonist for most of Trial of a Time Lord, main antagonist for the finale, and has been retconned into being the cause of Six’s regeneration by Big Finish.

Jedi Ben, Juliet316 and PCCViking like this.
  22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    BAFTA ****** up by not including Bernard Cribbins in it's memorial segment last night.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    I'd ask what they were thinking, but they clearly weren't.

Of course, they tried to justify his absence by saying "limited time."

Mar17swgirl, Lordban and Juliet316 like this.
  24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Which is a bunch of bull.

PCCViking likes this.
  25. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    They included people who died within the last couple of weeks, but they couldn't include him even though he died in July last year