main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Doctor Who." Episode by Episode: Doctor Who: Best of the Christmas Specials

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Nightowl, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Ten teaser spoilers from the first episode!

1. The Doctor apparently loves apples. But maybe he's a bit confused.

2. The episode spans at least fourteen years.

3. The new Doctor uses the phrase "wibbly wobbly timey wimey" at one point. But that's not the only hark back to the past.

4. Guest stars/cameos include Annette Crosbie, Sir Patrick Moore, Nina Wadia and David Tennant.

5. You get the first glimpse of the new TARDIS right at the end of the episode.

6. Question: When is a crack in a wall more than just a crack in a wall?

7. "I'm The Doctor - I'm worse than *********'* ****."

8. Amy will have a rather pressing engagement.

9. The "outfit" that Amy is wearing at the end of episode one will be her outfit for episode two, too.

10. Shhhhhhhh.

Number 2 would sort of confirm the above theory... but number 4??! ZOMG! :D

2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Number 4 is certainly unexpected. Do you think it's merely a clip (like, say, the regeneration sequence being repeated for the viewer), or do you think it's new footage - the regeneration being unstable and reverting temporarily to Tennant, for example?

3. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    New trailer!

Click!

Looking good.:)

4. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    :eek: TARDIS INTERIOR!!!

EDIT 1:
    Spoiler Images:

Screencap 1
    Screencap 2

EDIT 2: Also why does the Dalek have a Union Jack on it?

5. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Oh, that second trailer is so cool! :D

But I kind of hoped that the Cybermen would be the old Mondas Cybermen, not the "Cybusmen" from the parallel world...

6. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I think anyone who has seen Classic-Who Cybermen have been hoping for their return, rather than the dorky Cybusmen of NuWho. I have heard, however, that both types will be in the episode... but I heard that on the internet, and we all know what kind of people they are!8-}

7. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Because apparently they have been recruited by Churchill to fight for Britain. I kinda like it, it makes a much better dilemma when they're with the good guys rather than with the Nazis...

8. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    And yet another new trailer! This one is from BBC America.

Click!

Another great trailer. We're really getting spoiled.

9. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Fantastic, brilliant trailer! I really do want to stay cool and not get overexcited, but it's impossible. It's going to be awesome and I can't wait. :D

And you know, as much as I loved David Tennant's Doctor (after all, he was MY Doctor), I want Matt Smith to be even better - just to prove a point and shut up those naysayers who automatically dissed him as too young/too pretty/too ugly/too whatever and moan for David to come back.

10. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Tennant was brilliant, but he was working against a lot of naff scripts and creative decisions - too much of the time I felt he was the best thing about an episode. Smith will, fingers crossed, have better scripts and story-arcs to work with. I think this last trailer shows Smith at his best yet; I watch the trailer, and for me, he already is the Doctor. I think we're going to be in for a treat when the series premieres in April.

11. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Oh, I agree. :D

12. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Series 6 confirmed!

And what's even better, both Matt Smith and Karen Gillan are staying, which would be the first time in NuWho when both the Doctor and his companion stay for more than just one series. Cool! :D

13. itchytasty79

itchytasty79 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 2, 2001
    I am one of (probably) very few who think of Christopher Eccleston as MY doctor. Tennant is DW's Doctor, but not mine. I liked Tennant a lot as the Doctor, but I was VERY sad to see Eccleston go. I am also hoping that Matt Smith will do a great job.
    Though I will mostly stay out of this thread until Series 5 is out on DVD. I do not have BBC America (or cable or a reciever for broadcast TV), so I will wait for the DVD. :cool:

14. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    There is another solution, though... Starts with a "t" and ends with "orrents"... [face_whistling] And if you're planning to buy the DVD anyway, then there are no moral obstacles, either.

15. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Our first good look at the new Tardis interior. The picture is kind of small as it's a preview of the front cover of The Radio Times which comes out tomorrow. I imagine Tomorrow will bring proper hi-rez images.

It looks very trippy!

16. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    More pictures here. It's absolutely gorgeous and I love it! :D [face_love] [face_love]

17. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    I figure a bump is appropriate now, given that the day we've been waiting for is finally here. :D

18. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I thought it was great.

19. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I loved it! :D It was great, it was exciting, it was funny, it was fresh, it was gripping, it was bizarre (all that trying out food - I mean fish fingers in CUSTARD??? 8-}). Fantastic. I love Matt Smith's Doctor. There were quite a few shades of David Tennant in his performance - but that's understandable (and maybe intentional, too), because he's only recently regenerated. The dialogue was great, but then again, I fully expected that from Moffat. ;) And I liked the two little nods at previous episodes, namely "The Girl in the Fireplace" (both times the Doctor returned much later than he should have) and "Blink" (the text message saying "DUCK!" :p).

And I like the new title sequence, too - it's more retro and the music really brings back the classic series. :)

20. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    There were far more than two nods at previous Moffat episodes - him opening the Tardis by snapping his fingers, and striding out and sending an alien battle fleet running - both things River Song said characterised her Doctor. The coma patients were very reminiscent of the patients in The Empty Child, too.

I think Smith has won over most doubters with this episode - he came across very well.

I didn't like the new titles, however.

21. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I loved the titles just not the theme.

22. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Everything I expected and more. Before I was just a casual Who fan at best. I think now I'll be making an effort to catch every episode.

23. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    First episode I can say I've ever watched, but I quite enjoyed it. Certainly looking forward to the rest, now.

24. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Oh yeah, I know there were more references to the past episodes - even the past Doctors, the scene where the Doctor is rummaging through the lockers trying to find the right clothes is quite similar to the scene in the TV film where the Eighth Doctor is doing just the same thing (without audience, though). :D

I was just too excited last night. This is the sort of episode that needs repeated viewings so you can enjoy and appreciate all the little details and references. ;)

25. saturn5

saturn5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2009
    So, the 11th hour

1. Great opening scene with the Dr hanging out of the Tardis. Glad he managed to miss St George's tower after it had been rebuilt since last time

2. Title music/sequence has been subtly altered, seems much more Tom Bakerish?

3. The post-regenetative Dr has cravings just like the Master did. At least his didn't lead to cannabalism

4. The young Scottish Amelia is lovely, nice to meet a kid on TV who doesn't try to talk 'street' or like the Children's Film Foundation. So heartbreaking for little her waiting for the Dr to return. Did her Aunt really leave a 7 year old girl alone in the house alone? The 'You're Scottish, fry something!" gag is forgiveable as Steven Moffat IS Scottish.

5. You just knew that grown up Amelia couldn't be a real policewoman and had to be a stripper/hooker etc, when did you last see a real WPC with long red-painted fingernails, seamed stockings and a micro-miniskirt (in fact when did you last see a WPC in a skirt?)

6. Ok, I now pronounce Amelia the second sexiest companion ever, just ahead of Peri/Martha, equal with Amazing Grace and just behind Ace.

7. Nice little dig about the shut post office. But what's the significance of the duck pond? And why was the fire engine just parked up by the green?

8. Lovely cameo from Sir Patrick Moore, hope we see more of him. Hope he shacks up with Amelia's aunt.

9. Amelia watches the Dr disrobing? She's interested in him or maybe she's just used to people getting naked because of her job?

10. Who is Amelia marrying? Nurse Ray or himbo Geoff? (Surely he would have no problem getting a girlfriend?) This means that the Dr has a second runaway bride?

11. I think the new Tardis is a little OTT. I think my favourite is still the 7/8th Doctor's version we see in the TV movie. Speaking of which nice to once again see 8th Dr/Paul McGann in the flashbacks, cementing him as canon.

Coming attractions look excellent, looking forward to Spitfires vs Flying Saucers (almost as much as machinegun toting Edwardian Schoolboys vs reanimated scarecrows). Anyone want to bet that Amelia will become a Bride of Dracula (if only temporarily)? Ameila vs crippled Cyberman also looks fun although a bit disturbed by the sight of the Dr with a gun again?

All told, very very good and certainly on a par with the Tennant years. My only complaint would be that the central villain wasn't that good

8/10 maybe even 9?