main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Does a little part of you wish there were still only 3 movies?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by May The Force Be With Stu, May 2, 2020.

1. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    I agree with this 100%. It's what I was getting at. I in no way ever expected the ST to take place after FATE OF THE JEDI. I honestly expected a trilogy about the Solo twins and Mara Jade as the BIG THREE going against Thrawn. Sort of mixing The NJO with the Thrawn Trilogy.

Darth Majestic likes this.
  2. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    Yep. That would have been great.

About a post-FotJ/Crucible ST though... I remember being annoyed after seeing TFA because the state of the galaxy was so confusing. The Alliance won the war. Why are they now a "Resistance"? And what does this have to do with the Republic... which we see for five seconds before it is blown to smithereens. What exactly is the First Order? A terrorist organization? Then why are we getting these wide shots, emphasizing their apparently massive scale? How are they able to build the Starkiller Base?

If things are going to be this confusing, they may as well have kept the EU canon and have a partially Vongformed Coruscant, an absent Chewbacca, Ben Skywalker pining after a Sith girl from a planet of ancient Sith, and all the rest of it.

3. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    I cannot track down the quote, but Pablo Hidalgo said that the original idea behind the ST was that the Republic didn't take the FO seriously as a threat, but Leia knew better and started the Resistance to fight the FO within the FO territory. So basically you'd have the FO as it's own government with the Resistance fighting them in a Civil War scenario while the Republic sat on the sidelines, not taking it seriously.

And apparently JJ changed that idea at the last minute because Padlo Hidalgo said even he was surprised when he saw the text crawl on opening night state that the Republic was supporting the Resistance.

So basically the whole ST exists on a contradiction. The Republic doesn't take the FO seriously which is why they aren't fighting them, but also takes them seriously enough to fund the Resistance. Which is why (imho) everything falls flat because even by the films end you never really know what the stakes are.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  4. Reepicheep775

Jul 27, 2019
    I don't think it's necessarily a contradiction. It could be that some in the Republic, maybe Chancellor Villecham, think that the First Order is a potential threat, but there are political consequences to waging war against them, so they fund the Resistance under the table instead. There could be First Order sympathizers in the Senate who Villecham is trying to appease or maybe there's worry that another war would tear the fledgling Republic apart. It's actually not a bad setup. There's political complexity there that could have provided a good backdrop to the film if only the filmmakers hadn't been allergic to political exposition. I always go back to the board room scene in ANH. TFA needed a scene like that.

5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Not sure if this has been mentioned already during the last few pages, but regarding the current topic of conversation: I recommend reading Bloodline. It's a great SW book (one of my favorites actually), Leia is the main character, and much of the story covers all that is currently being discussed here, and may provide some nice clarification on the political state of the galaxy-not to mention the emergence of the FO and the Resistance-in the six years leading up to TFA.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  6. Classified8

Classified8 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 8, 2016
    Now that it's all over......yeah.

I was a child in the '70s and saw Star Wars before it was a phenomenon. I loved much of the ST but I've come to realize that you can't ever truly recapture the original feeling.

7. Reepicheep775

Jul 27, 2019
    That's one of the Disney canon books I definitely want to check out one of these days. I'll probably do a read through of all of Claudia Gray's Star Wars books. They all look interesting.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  8. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    It's great. So much so, I might actually read it again-cos I read it back in 2016, before I had seen TLJ or TROS, when all the Disneycanon was first getting started. But for anyone who wants to know more about the state of the galaxy (not to mention what Han and Chewie were up to) leading up to how things became by the time of TFA it's a must-read. There's also some other awesome things involving Leia and the Skywalker family (that I won't spoil here if it's not already known). But the nice thing about it is it's also not TOO political-y.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  9. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Star Wars would be wonderful with only three films and an Expanded Universe. But I feel that the first six films are the best, and the ways in which they influenced the old EU were great. I'm not a fan of the new trilogy or the Disney EU. But if I could only have three films without this particular sequel trilogy, that would be a far better thing in my eyes.

10. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    I'm good with the OT and PT, but I would prefer the ROTJ ending and no ST.

11. C.Roach

C.Roach Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    1977-83 is more than enough.

CampOfSorgan and DarthKreVass like this.
  12. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Same here. Could have even been ok with spin-offs taking place during the time of the PT-OT, just no ST.

13. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    Personally, I am glad they made the prequels. Love 'em! Not sure the sequel trilogy was necessary. Still fun films, with TLJ being the one that I love the most.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  14. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I'd be happy with 6 and some spin offs like RO and the Mandalorian.

darkspine10 and CampOfSorgan like this.
  15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I be happy with just the OT and ST, the PT being a bonus backstory. the extended universe is a big bonus.

16. Stellarannex

Stellarannex Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2020
    Always has been. ‍:storm:

17. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    Apart of me wishes there was just the Lucas saga. Episodes I-VI. I’m glad others enjoyed the ST but it was not my cup of tea. The Originals are my favorite but I love the Prequels as well.

18. Iceblazer

Iceblazer Jedi Padawan

Sep 7, 2020
    I agree.
    I-VI had a story to tell.
    VII-IX had money to make, not that I-VI didn't, but if you take away VII-IX, you're not left with any less.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  19. imperial scum

imperial scum Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 7, 2020
    The numbering started with Empire Strikes Back, but i agree that the classics are special. The Prequels were innovative, pioneering CGI-technology, but they couldn't rekindle the lighting in a bottle, and they were controversial because they didn't grew with the fanbase. George wanted to tell stories for children.

20. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    This has been true since the first movie.

oierem, wobbits and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  21. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Really i imagine there are many who wish they had not done more than 3 movies. mostly because the OT was so iconic in pop culture. with everyone gushing over it. but now because Disney are gonna milk this machine dry... its never gonna be that kinda film trilogy ever again.

And i won't get into the reception over the prequels because i ain't ever been totally sure whether the bashing the prequels got was really deserved and with the newfound love towards the PT I'm even more unsure whether they deserved the bashing they got.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    CampOfSorgan likes this.
  22. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    No. I grew up with the OT but love the PT just as much. Also enjoyed R1 and Solo.