main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does anybody else love the ROTJ end theme in place of the Ewok Song?!

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Jotun Denal, Feb 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jotun Denal

Jotun Denal Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    I think it's a great theme to end the Star Wars Saga on. It's much better than that Yub Yub song and has more emotional impact on its viewers...at least in my personal opinion.

How do you feel about it?

2. TheSith

TheSith Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2001
    Definitely better than that 'Yub Yub' song...although 'Yub Yub' does have it's own charm.

3. Crystena77

Crystena77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 1999
    I like it.

But come on, I grew UP on the Ewok theme. That will always have a special place in my heart.

4. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    IMO, the new song carries the spirit of the movies. Friendship, sadness, love, and triumph- all into one song. :-D I love it.

~Sithman~

5. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    "Victory Celebration" from ROTJ:SE is indeed a great theme. Definitely more uplifting than the original Ewok theme. And while the old "Yub Yub" music is good for nostalgic reasons, the new music brings the saga to a close in a much more adequate manner, IMHO.

6. Crystena77

Crystena77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 1999
    True.

But I still love the Yub Yub Song. ;-)

The new song shocked the mess out of me in the theater. I had no clue until I walked into the theater.

7. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    I like it a lot better, nothing against the ewok song, though.

8. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Ya, know I actually was totally shocked and suprised to hear the new song in the Theater back in March 1997.

I always thought something seemed empty about the Yub Yub song. It just didn't move me for some reason.

So hearing the new song, I was just so happy to hear a brilliant song like that.

And I have to admit that I fought tears when I heard that, it so beautiful. That was the closest I have ever come to crying in a theater.

When the entire 6 episode saga is realeased on DVD, and I watch them all in order for the first time on my 80 inch HDTV widescreen and my state-of-the art digital surround system (I am dead serious about that, I WILL have the ultimate home theater system for the DVD realease of the saga in 2006, its one of the things I have promised myself), I expect to just have goose bumps throughout every single moment of all 6 movies. BUt when that ending song comes on in ROTJ, I better get the kleenex box out.

I know, I am corny.

9. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    Just viewing them on my computer will do me. ;)

I as well grow up on Yub Yub but the new one was much more modern and uplifting.

The Yub Yub seemed a bit dated.

10. Pinback

Pinback Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2000
    I enjoyed the Celebration theme as well, except for one tiny detail; there's a note, or a measure in there at the end, where it just doesn't dovetail into the end credits music, it's like the CT is just broken into by the SWT reprise.

Aside from that, I'll jump on the bandwagon and say I prefer it to the Ewok music, which got on my nerves all the way back in '83, in my teens it became one of those things that makes a lot of SW fans reluctant to admit it in public.

11. Cindé of Naboo

Cindé of Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2000
    Well, I've always known I've been in the minority with this, but I grew up with the Yub Yub song, and when the new song came with the SE, it was just another reason for me to be very disappointed with the SE. It's simply a matter of nostalgia -- it wasn't what I had grown up with. So I will always love the Ewok song better. And it does segue into the End credits more smoothly than the new one. At least the new music was written by John Williams, though. I can't imagine why they would use anyone else.

12. MusicJedi

MusicJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 5, 2001
    It is better than that Yub yub crap. But its feels weak to end six movies on. I was hoping for something HUGE and brassy. The end theme is better than Yub Yub, but it seemes watered down far the end of a great saga.

13. JollyJedi

JollyJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 2, 2000
    The new song is very nice. Cheerful, but sad, yet hopeful. The music along with the new footage makes the end of ROTJ more epic and vast than the original. It was a galactic victory rather than a just a local one.

14. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    MusicJedi,
    Bah, it's NOT supposed to be brassy. It symbolizes the hope, sadness, joy, and thankfulness for friendship. Dude, that's the point, I don't think it would mean as much if it was all brassy and militaristic like ANH.
    Anyone agree?

~Sithman~

15. JollyJedi

Dec 2, 2000
    Yeah, I agree.

A brassy piece would be inappropriate, considering all that has happened in the galaxy.

16. MusicJedi

MusicJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 5, 2001
    But every great operatic epic ends with a huge chord supported by a pantload of brassplayers.

Wagner's Der Ring Des Nieblungen
    Puccini's Turandot
    Verdi's Requiem
    Berlioz's Symphony Fantastique

Although some of these aren't epic, I would much rather be left with a solid ending with the full orchestra hammering in the force theme, and then the traditional end cridits trumpet riff.

17. Trippitaka

Trippitaka Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 22, 2000
    Agree with what Pinback and Cinde said.

I actually like the way the song starts with the ewoks, but then becomes a general chorus before climaxing into the end credits. It's an effective ending for ROTJ as a chapter (using the ewoks) but then encompasses the whole saga with the general chorus.
    Sorry if this is a bit vague - I'm not sure how to really describe it in words.
    The new one just doesn't gel with the end credits and sounds pretty 'anticlimactic' for me.

18. JollyJedi

Dec 2, 2000
    Yeah, I agree that the new song doesn't flow well into the credits music. That is one of the only complaints I have about the new piece.

I love how you can hear the native creatures of Endor in the background. I'm not sure if you can hear it in the film, but you can in the soundtrack. It makes me feel very peaceful and at ease, and more in tune with nature.

19. jamesdrex

jamesdrex Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2001
    I thought it was good.

20. Short Round McFly

Short Round McFly Jedi Youngling star 6

Nov 13, 1999
    I liked it. The "NAAANAAAAANAAAANAAAANAAAANAAANANANAANAN!" on the SE gave me goosebumps 8-(

21. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    *cough* yeah, I *ahem* liked that part too.

;-)

~Sithman~

22. Jotun Denal

Jotun Denal Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
  23. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    I like it better too.

24. MD-O

MD-O Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2000
    The celebration song ties up all the emotional loose ends perfectly. Everytime I hear it coupled with what I'm seeing on screen, I cry.

25. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    I think the SE music is too melancholy. Yub Yub was cheerful, at least, as befits the final victory of the heroes and the Alliance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.