main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Does anyone else have their "own canon"?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DV-213, Aug 25, 2014.

1. DV-213

DV-213 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 18, 2014
    I am not sure if this is "controversial" or not. :) I am certainly not the biggest fan on this board, but since watching the original trilogy as a young kid in the early 80's with deep impact these movies has always have a special meaning to me. Since then I guess I am likely to have seen the original movies at least 25 times each over the three decades.

I watched the so called prequel trilogy movies in cinemas when they arrived (and I might even have seen Episode 3 on DVD one more time) and I just find them totally uninteresting in every way.

To me there is really no possibility to think that the dark and powerful Darth Vader in the original movies is really this whining and irritating youngster in the Prequels and it is also to me absurd to think that this would be the man Obi Wan is referring to as his "good friend" in ANH.

Anyway, not to be a discussion about if the PT movies are worthless or not, to me personally I do not include anything from them in my "own" view of Star Wars. I really still think to myself that it is unknown how Anakin ("the real one") was to join the dark side and for example what happened in the ("real") Clone Wars.

Does anyone else feels something like this? Or am I alone in ignoring ever watching the Episode 1-3 and keeping the mystery implied in the original movies?

Messi, Lobot_the_Jedi and Sarge like this.
  2. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Yeah I try to keep them out of my mind when watching the OT

Messi, Revious Nugo and Ord-Mantell70 like this.
  3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    You're certainly not alone, as there are many, many fans who feel the same way and just ignore the PT. There are many fans who didn't bother watching the rest of the PT after TPM. There are also fans who bailed on Star Wars after the reveal in ESB, there are fans that consider only ANH to be canon. There are people who accept ESB but prefer to ignore ROTJ. Thoughts, opinions, views, feelings....they come in all varieties.

Personally, I don't care for the PT, I don't like what we got, however, it is what we got and I accepted that and moved on. I didn't like it, I may want something else, but I'm not going to get it. I accept the PT as the "real" story of Anakin Skywalker, even though I don't like it. Sometimes I think of ROTJ and I wonder, perhaps wistfully, about some other Anakin Skywalker, but only briefly. I haven't put too much thought into it. I've never bothered to try to re-write the prequels, personally I don't find the idea of that worthwhile. The prequels are what they are, they exist as they are, and I prefer to leave it at that.

JediTerminator and Ord-Mantell70 like this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    In my own canon, the prequels are a fictional historical romance story written to appeal to angsty emo teens. There is some truth to the story, but the "real" characters are not so annoying to me.

5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Not me. They're just space adventure movies at the end of the day, definitely not something worthy of such a lofty concept as "canon."

6. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Whilst I agree with the above, I hear where the OP is coming from. When I watch the OT, the kind of unconscious back story that I have in my head is the one that I had developed for myself rather than the PT. Anakin Skywalker isn't Jake Lloyd or Hayden Christensen's version, there's no prophecy etc.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I like the PT but the Tragedy of Anakin Skywalker is not my frame of reference for SW. Luke, Leia and Han and the fight against Darth Vader, the Emperor and the Empire and how that came to be (to account for the PT) are my frame of reference for SW.

8. scruffylookingnerf

scruffylookingnerf Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 26, 2014
    In my "canon" there's no midichlorians.

Doompup, Messi, enigmaticjedi and 7 others like this.
  9. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Hell no, the PT is AWESOME! Some of the best bits of the saga are in episodes I, II and III :D

10. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    Not I. To me it's all Star Wars. However, I agree that some aspects of it are more likeable than others.

11. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Nope, all one universe for me

12. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I'm not sure if it necessarily comes down to like or dislike for me. When you spend sixteen years watching a series of films and interpreting it a certain way, it's somewhat difficult to alter that perception.

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    This!

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    And as I've said...Lucas could have saved himself quite a bit of trouble by not asking us to alter that perception. Just give us a PT consistent with OT expectations.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Do I have my own "canon", as in, I pick or ignore the stories according to my preferences? Sure. It's fiction.

A bit hard to do, since everyone has different expectations... But personally, he surpassed mine. He didn't re-hash the OT, he expanded the universe he created and gave us something new and different. A pity that (apparently) we won't get something as original and different with the ST.

16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Have you seen the ST in its entirety? Or read the scripts for each movie? So, you can't say that for a fact.

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    "A pity that (apparently) we won't get something as original and different with the ST."

Bolded for emphasis. Nobody said anything for a fact.

18. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I think in some degree or another, everyone has a bit of their own personal canon, be it discounting parts of the story or filling in an aspect of the story for themselves

Personally, I take only the 2011 blu-rays of the six eps into account. I ignore EU and TV shows, mainly on account of disliking them

Alexrd I feel that the ST will have a unique enough feeling, if not somewhat chaotic considering the variety in terms of the devs

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Until we get a trailer or sit down and watch the movie we don't know what will happen. Just rumors. And with the rumors we've seen seen, I won't take anything seriously until we get that trailer. Movies usually have a way of going the way people don't expect anyway. So I'm not too worried. Besides JJ is only doing this one isn't he? Episodes 8 and 9 will be completely different it tone. Remember the OT? 3 different directors and 3 different tones. Nothing to worry about. Also he's a spoiler Nazi isn't he? You really think he's going to give out all of his cards? Doubtful. Until we see the movie, we have no idea what the movie will be like.

Darth Rycbar likes this.
  20. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Oh no, all those horrible changes in there! ;)

Seagoat likes this.
  21. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    yes, what a tragedy that our opinions differ! :eek:

Andy Wylde likes this.
  22. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    I guess the 2011 versions are ever so slightly better than the '04 ones. Roll on the unaltered originals on Blu Ray...

23. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Roughly my own position regarding the OT too. And the way the PT is somewhat out of tone with the originals. MOC Yak Face perfectly explains it below to me.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't go as far as saying I make my own canon regarding Star Wars. The PT is canon, whether you like it or not. In the end G.Lucas decides what's canon and what's not.

Let's say that I, too, had thought of and hoped for someting different regarding the PT, based on the expectations and feelings I had during the OT era. Those expectations and feelings therefore kind of belongs to the OT. That's why I can't help but ignore the prequels when watching it again. In other words, yes, the PT hasn't changed anything to the way I see and feel the originals.

And there are no Sith Lords either, although the concept had indeed leaked both from ANH early drafts and novelization. Along with some EU materials of the OT era (comics). Never do we hear those words in the OT. Quite jarring...

I completely ignore them when watching the OT. I still see it exactly the way I did when the PT hadn't been released.

Some people have a hard time connecting the 2 trilogies, and see them as 2 independant series. Like it was originally envisioned by G.Lucas himself.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  24. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I do... After reading a book, I decide whether that happened or not.

anakinfansince1983 and Sarge like this.
  25. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    For me it's up to the fan what they accept. Lucas and the Mouse have their own standards but that doesn't mean fans have to share it. Like Drenn, I read then decide if it happened or not. I basically ignore TCW completely and focus on the few bits of PT I like. I certainly don't agree/like what PT made basically anyone but Dooku. If I like it, I tend to accept it. If not I ignore it and move on.