main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Does anyone else have their "own canon"?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DV-213, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jo B1 Kenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jul 3, 2014

I have a personal canon too. I'm really into the EU so I would include a lot of EU material as well as both the OT and the PT. For me it's all Star Wars. That said, I can see why you have the canon you do and I understand your reasons.

2. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    I have my own cannon.

Star Wars, ESB, ROTJ (non-SE versions of all 3) and the EU novels and comics ending w/ VOTF in time stream 1. I remember always thinking of the first movie of the OT as Star Wars, not ANH, as a kid. Luke & Leia's real mom raised Leia while Obi-wan took Luke to the Larses to raise. And somehow I thought the clone wars happened 60-100 years before the OT when I was a kid, sort of a Jedi & good guys vs. evil clones kinda thing. And I just cannot reconcile Darth Vader with the Anakin Skywalker showed to us in the prequels. And in this time stream I still have Chewie, Mara, all 3 solo kids, etc alive...and no Darth Caedus.

Then the prequels, NJO, LOTF and FOTJ in time stream 2. These started to bring in material from the prequels, which is totally understandable given when they were written.

And now the new movies, Rebels, and novels are in time stream 3.

And yes, its entirely possible I've seen too much Star Trek and Dr Who.

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    How I try and imagine young Anakin and Obi-Wan

[​IMG]

4. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I believe in 6 differents canons/universes
    LucasCanon (I II TCW III IV V VI)
    This one of my favorites, since it form one big story about the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker and the Empire, and it all came from George. It had a great beginning,middle and an end
    Legends
    I like most of the Legends stories like Heir to the Empire and KOTOR, but the universe became so big that it was hard to ever catch up with it and the bigger it gets the harder it gets to control continuity errors (and I despise continuity errors)
    Official Canon
    It's to early to judge it, but so far I'm a big fan of it. What I don't like however is the concept of the ST, we have all of these stories (I II TCW III Kanan Tarkin LOTS AND R IV HTTJ Marvel's Star Wars Marvel's Darth Vader V VI) all centered around the battle against one big bad (Palpatine) and then they just skip to the ST which doesn't feel like a logical continuation of the story and it destroys the ending of ROTJ. But even if Disney has ruined ROTJ, I have chosen this canon as my headcanon since it is the official canon
    Original Canon (IV V VI)
    I'm not a big fan of it, but I can see why people would choose this canon. Even if I like the PT, I must admit that the OT is superior in story telling and characters
    Pablo Canon (I II TCW III R IV V VI)
    I nicknamed this canon the Pablo Canon, due to a tweet from Pablo Hidalgo, regarding what's canon (I think it was tweeted just before the new canon announcement). This canon is my favorite one since these stories form one big story like the LucasCanon, and Rebels (going by some rumors) is basically a sequel to TCW
    Shakespeare Canon (William Shakespeare's Star Wars)
    This might not count as it's own canon, but I love these books so much :D

Ranking the Canons
    1.Official Canon
    2.Pablo Canon
    3.LucasCanon
    4.Legends
    5.Shakespeare Canon
    6.Original Canon

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I certainly have my own canon.

Episode I-VI (and hopefully, the upcoming movies as well)
    CW microseries
    TCW movie
    TCW series
    Rebels
    Droids
    Ewoks animated
    Ewok movies (these will never be erased from my canon! However, I do imagine them taking place after Return of the Jedi)

And there are some other things that I also count as canon, like Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight. It was, for a long time, my "episode VII" - with those great live action cutscenes. I'm sure that will stay in my personal canon, unless TFA totally undo it.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  6. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    In my personal canon there are only the 6 live action films, just the core.

7. General Pax

General Pax Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2015
    I consider the general Darth Vader/Order 66 storyline to be canon, but I mentally picture having The Clone Wars' version of the prequel characters in it, which makes it way better than the prequel films. I would consider that my canon.
    Here's my ideal canon:
    TCW version of the prequel trilogy
    The Force Unleashed (First, not the second)
    Star Wars: Rebels
    Episodes IV-VII

8. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    As of right now, my canon consists of the OT, the PT, TCW, Rebels, and all new EU stuff (Tarkin, HTTJ, LOTS, A New Dawn, etc). I haven't read all of those, but I plan on it. As for Legends, I still include a lot of it, until it is contradicted by something official that is. Post ROTJ stuff is out, but many of the stories depicted in the PT era as well as the Old Republic stuff I still consider canon.

9. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    My own canon has changed recently. For a long time my general stance was "everything in the EU is canon until officially contradicted by the new canon" but as I explore the EU more and more, I notice so many contradictions and stuff I just plain don't like that I've been forging my own personal timeline. I'm keeping it flexible because there's so much stuff to come, who knows what could happen. So my stance on THIS is still "until officially retconned". This doesn't include things I haven't read, so I'm prone to change it

Tales of the Jedi
    Darth Plagueis
    Cloak of Deception
    The Phantom Menace
    The Approaching Storm
    Attack of the Clones
    Everything Clone Wars (pre-2008) that isn't contradicted by TCW
    The Clone Wars (TV series)
    Revenge of the Sith
    Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
    Darth Vader and the Lost Command
    Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison
    Tarkin
    A New Dawn
    Droids (TV series)
    Rebels
    Death Star (novel)
    ANH-ROTJ
    Archie Goodwin-Al Williamson newspaper strip

I consider deleted scenes, novelizations (except when they contradict the movies, in which case the movie events are what happened), the ANH radio drama, and DK's guidebooks to all be canon.

ThisIsTheWay likes this.
  10. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    I accept our given Star Wars Canon .
    Then with every mention we get from Star Wars Legends I try it to fit as good as possible.
    (Deleted Scenes and George Lucas info(like from novelizations or EU) are also canon to me unless contradicted.)

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Most of Plagueis, most of Cloak of Deception, the 6 movies, TCW, the Rogue Squadron games (excluding Relics of Geonosis), the new Vader comics, and the new Leia comics

12. DV-213

DV-213 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 18, 2014
    An old thread, but have your opinions changed after the yet released sequels?

Personally I continue to ignore I have seen both the prequels as well as the first two sequels.

(Solo and Rouge One was kind of okay, but did not felt real to me either, so I leave them out of my personal cannon as well.) :)

13. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    I have lots of canons as I don't believe in restricting myself unnecessarily.

Some of my favorites are:

The Skywalker Saga: Ep 1-6
    The Filoniverse: TCW + Rebels
    The Stackpoleverse: Rogue Squadron novels
    The Allstonverse: Wraith Squadron novels

Some crossreference others, some contradict others, they all have hundreds of nitpicky continuity errors that I could care less about. What matters to me is that they are all different storytellers' takes with great characters and fulfilled throughlines.

ThisIsTheWay likes this.
  14. ThisIsTheWay

ThisIsTheWay Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2019
    My canon is essentially just one large mishmash that contains the broadstrokes of all my favorite stories (while largely ignoring all the ones I don't) set inside the same universe. It likely doesn't hold up if I ever took the time to analyze it but I won't so that's not a problem.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    Sarge likes this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't bother with the EU, but that's it.

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I haven't seen anything in the animated works that I care to add to my headcanon. So far, The Mandalorian makes the cut.

17. RogueZero

RogueZero Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2009
    No. Canon is canon. Head canon is for those so unsatisfied with a movie or a show in the saga that they pretend it doesn’t exist. I don’t particularly love TPM, AOTC or the SE versions but it’s still canon and I accept that.

18. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    I have many canons that conflict and contrast. I am large. I contain multitudes.

ThisIsTheWay, Iron_lord and Sarge like this.
  19. Saturn830

Saturn830 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2019
    The better question would be if you're a real Star Wars fan if you don't.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I have a head cannon. Pointed at the moon

21. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    The six Lucas made films
    The clone wars cartoons(with the first season of the microseries crammed into the first few months of the war, Anakin is knighted after the battle of Praestylin, Chistophis and the arrival of his passes is shortly after)
    Rebels.
    Mando show
    All EU aka legends material that does not contradict the the above.

Nothing of the sequel trilogy or especially know after TROS and Last Jedi have invalidated the ending of Return of the Jedi