main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does anyone here like The Black Fleet Crisis trilogy?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediYvette , Oct 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I think they are crap personally

2. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Only good one in the entire trilogy is Tyrant's Test. But the other two bring it down. Most folks know who I feel on this subject. Before the Storm and Shield of Lies are too politically driven. Politics has always been a side item to enhance the plot, not the plot itself. That's what personally makes them suck so much.

3. Xenomaniac

Xenomaniac Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 8, 2000
    Personally, I loved the BFC. For so long I avoided it because of the negative things I heard about it. But, when I finally got around to reading it, I got the same feelings I did when I first started reading Star Wars that got me hooked. The sense of adventure, the evil characters. I loved the Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy. Makes me wonder about other trilogies I have been putting off because of negative opinions....wink wink...Bounty Hunters Trilogy...

4. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I liked it. Not as much as the Correlain Trilogy, or what I've read (so far) of the Bounty Hunter Wars, but it was good.

TC

5. Mecca-Don

Mecca-Don Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2001
    I'm afraid I have to agree with Knight1192 except that I don't think Tyrant's Test is any good either. The problem for me is that the trilogy feels likes three seperate stories instead of one and I just didn't get into the quella vagabond or the Fallanssi storylines. The Yevetha storyline was somewhat interesting though but not enough to save these books in my opinion.

6. MysteryWhiteBoy8

MysteryWhiteBoy8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    I got so sick of the Lando and the Quella thing i skipped those parts of the book entirely. Liked Nil Spaar though, but other than that it was less than memorable.

7. ForceAlly

ForceAlly Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    Lando's story is okey for me. At least the droids and Lobot have a major role in it. What I don't like is the "White Current" concept, and Luke's behavior throught the Book. And I am still wondering where in Coruscant should Vader's castle located.

Besides, if memory serves, these are the only books really talking about making love in GFFA (Prince Xizor did suduce Leia in SOTE, but that's about the story.) Not that sex is not good, it's just feel not right to read something like "Han recalls making love with Leia last night." in GFFA....

8. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I loved the BFC.

Vader's castle was located on the edge of Invisec, the aliens-only zone described in X-wings 2 and 3.

9. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I really liked the whole look at the military and governmental side of the NR. It was like Tom Clancy in space. Great stuff.

I enjoyed the Lando bit. It was Lando Adventures meets Rama, although not as well done as the latter and better than the former.

The Luke/Akanah plot sucked.

10. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    if they cut out the lando parts and that white current crap they would of been very good.

i also blame akanaha for what luke is like currently, the white current jed are nothing but cowards and worse than jacen by far.

11. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    I enjoyed them enough to check out some of Kube-McDowell's non-SW books, which I also enjoyed.

12. peregrine

peregrine Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    I think it's an excellent trilogy. I agree that the whole Akanah and White Current stuff was bad. But the politics, a new and interesting enemy -not the over use of the Empire again- , the bold attempt to creat new ships and situations, the workings of the Fifth Fleet made it for me. Lando's quest with the Teljkon Vagabond was also intersting, IMO. And I loved the parts in which Chewie and other Wookiees fiercely attacked the Yevetha in order to save Han. Tyrant's Test is one of the few books which gives Chewie a real personality and respect.

13. ForceAlly

ForceAlly Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    Yes! There are too few Wookiee adventures in GFFA. This is definitely a plus!

14. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    I loved the BFC!! It was the first trilogy I ever read!! The whole Vagabon thing was cool, as well as the workings of the Fifth Fleet. I agree with Mastadge. It did seem like Tom Clancy in space.

15. ganner_rhysode

ganner_rhysode Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2001
    They're not the best books but they're not as bad as the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy.

16. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 29, 2001
    I thought it was quite good...up till then we had not seen how really the goverment of the NR works...plus though it sounds very earthly,it's correct coz politics are dirty
    Secondly BFC shows us some parts of NR fleet that we have not seen before & also we havent seen the NR fleet fight large scale battles(in tyrant's test the whole fifth fleet fights the Yevenea(sp)??)

17. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    If they cut out Luke and Lando from the book you'd have single novel that would be one of the best Star Wars books out there.

Normally I'm a fan of Luke, but cripes! And the Lando/Droids plotline felt so bad to me that it seemed a parody of itself.

The Han/Leia/Yevetha plotline was great, a nice mix of political intrigue and military science fiction.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Before the Storm was excellent with it's political intrigue that just kept you on the edge of your seat. The stuff with Lando was very reminiscent of Rendevous with Rama. The plotline with Luke's mother dragged on and you knew it wouldn't be true since it was pre-episode 1. So, overall, the first two books were great but the third wasn't as great.

19. admiralpotts

admiralpotts Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2001
    the luke plot kinda ruined the movie continuaty a bit

20. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
  21. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    I answered the question, here is why...

It had nothing to do with the movies. Change the names, and it could be any other Sci-fi story with wizards, or telepathes, or whatever. Unless the book is really good (like a few of the NJO) then i hate the ones that have very little (or nothing) to do with the empire. Just my personal view of how Post endor should have been a three way war lasting years between factions of the empire and the new republic, not the empire completly dieing. Ohh well.

And the books were too vague and draged.

22. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
  23. Admiral_Lelila

Admiral_Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2001
    I didn't like BFC the first time I read the books. I tried reading the trilogy again but I only read the storyline of Leia, Han and the Yevetha. In was great!
    Little Jaina shown spirit when she was protective of her mother during Admiral Drayson visit. (More spirit than her Uncle Luke exhibited in the whole triology.!!) Luke behavior was a big disappointment.

24. Ginger

Ginger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001

I agree with those that said that the Han/Leia/Chewy/Yevetha story arc was interesting, but Luke's story was way off.

Overall, I liked the trilogy.

25. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    Before the Storm and Sheild of Lies were awesome, why? because they were different from what thought they would be about. They were about politicts and that was something fresh and great.

Tyrant's test gave possible the worst ending to a story in the SW saga. We've built up the fact Luke may learn something about his mom but that turns out to be nothing. The final battle with the one bad dudes is a lopsided victory that isn't really ever a contest. In the dictionary next to Anticlimatic you'll see Tyrant's Test cover.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.