main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does anyone here NOT like Indiana Jones?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Oakessteve, Jul 13, 2001.

?

Does anyone here NOT like Indiana Jones?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Yes, they're all rubbish

7.7%
  2. No, those films are nearly as great as Star Wars, you big idiot

89.7%
  3. I refuse to vote

2.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
  2. Oakessteve

May 9, 1999
    Now, I know this is a fairly silly poll, but one of my friends at college is a really huge Star Wars fan, like me, but can't stand the Indiana Jones trilogy. Now, I could be wrong here, but I always thought that if you liked Star Wars, you'd like Indiana Jones, as they are really about the same thing, and inspired by the stuff both George Lucas and Steven Spielberg used to watch on the telly when they were kids. So, is there anyone here who loves Star Wars, but doesn't have much time for Indiana Jones?

3. chimp2k1

chimp2k1 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2001
    If anyone says they're rubbish I'll track them down and get them. I might be small... eh, and skinny... and pretty weak, but... eh.. ok forget I said that.

4. Stargasior

Stargasior Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2001
    I don't like Indiana Jones.

5. Pedro

Pedro Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 1999

Do you like 'Willow'?

6. Oakessteve

May 9, 1999
    I enjoyed it, from the little I can remember about it.

7. Stargasior

Mar 6, 2001
    What's Willow?

8. Dead Star

Dead Star Jedi Youngling star 4

May 23, 2000
    How can you not like Indy?

9. Stargasior

Mar 6, 2001
    I just don't.

10. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    I love "Raiders", but I certainly didn't care for ToD or TLC

11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    You can't have "Solo" without the "Jones"

disagree, and I'll destroy you

12. antilles

antilles Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2000
    I dont like TOD. What a mistake that was.

13. Dubya_Fett

Dubya_Fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    I am a big Indiana Jones fan, but more as a character than as a series. I don't think there is a single character in SW as well developed as Indy, but SW benefited from being one big story, whereas the Indiana Jones films were the same great character in completely different adventures of various quality.

I believe "Raiders of the Lost Ark" was the single greatest action movie ever made, and will always be remembered as one of the best of all time for its genre. It had enough action for another film, good villains, a great script, and an Oscar-worthy performance by Harrison Ford (if they gave Academy Awards to action hero roles).

"Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" does not come close to matching "Raiders" grandeur. It's really an exotic horror movie crossed with "Gunga Din" starring the Indiana Jones character. Kate Capshaw's whiny Willie Scott is not Karen Allen's tomboyish Marion Ravenwood, regrettably. The film had a great beginning, then progressed slowly to a horrible middle, before a terrific finale. Lucas and Spielberg made the film too dark and violent, giving us nightmares when all we want is escapist fantasy. But I thought Spielberg's direction was in good form, and the Thuggee cult, while no Nazis, were interesting (if historically incorrect) alternative villains, especially Amrish Puri as the high priest Mola Ram. The Sankara Stones, as glowing phallic symbols (yep, that's what they were), are not as impressive a relic as the Ark of the Covenant, but it's nice to see Indy delve into artifacts outside of Judeo-Christian myth. And I did like seeing Indy's nastier side in this one, as well as his pairing with kid sidekick Short Round (I know a lot of you didn't), which was something all the comic strip, pulp novel, and matinee serial heroes of the thirties and forties had. All in all TOD was better than most sequels and scores points in my opinion for not entirely following the "Raiders" formula.

"Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" is actually my least favourite of the series, mainly because none of the action sequences, except that great tank chase, really get my adrenaline flowing. Most of the action comprises of various vehicle chase scenes, which become somewhat repetitive. This is the lightest and least intense of the series, almost overcompensating for TOD's house of horrors by drifting towards comedy and sentimentality. Still, while it's no "Raiders" (while shamelessly copying the "Raiders" formula) the film scores points for revealing more of Indy's backstory and the chemistry between Harrison Ford and Sean Connery. What inspired casting!

Despite their flaws, the two Indy sequels are better than most, and superior to any of the Indiana Jones knock offs we've been subjected to recently. I would like to have seen more Indy films made, but it's probably better that the series was wrapped up instead of being endlessly recycled like the James Bond films. That is, until "Indiana Jones IV" comes out.

-Dubya Fett
    Fettism of the Day: "I survived the Jedi purge and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."

14. Batya_Organa

Batya_Organa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2001
    You dont like Indy?... :eek:

solojones~this is Batya_Organa,calling u to report to duty!!! :)

15. Jenkwombat

Jenkwombat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2001
    I'm with you on this one, Oakessteve. The Jones movies just were never that interesting to me. They never kept me enthralled the way the SW movies do.

BTW, Dubya Fett, while I agree with you that "Temple Of Doom" is a far better sequel than "Last Crusade", I don't agree that Indiana Jones is a better "developed" character than the Star Wars characters...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.