main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Does anyone here see the Saga 1-9?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by KyloLukeLeia, Sep 8, 2021.

1. KyloLukeLeia

KyloLukeLeia Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 10, 2020
    Forgive me if this topic has been posted, but I would be interested to hear anyone who enjoys the PT, OT, and ST and sees the story as 1-9? Most people I know dislike the PT or ST, so they either see 'their' Saga as 1-6 or 4-9. If you do see it as 1-9, can you go indepth as to why you see it that way, and how it works better than how you saw the Saga before 2015?

2. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    yes i see it 1-9 Infact with all the cartoons and spin offs chronologically sandwiched in between. Just think every new addition enriches the already awesome tapestry and makes each element better than it does standing alone imo

3. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    If you are in it for the universe, it's pretty darn hard to throw anything away.

It is not just the investment in the stories...it is the fire of imagination to piece things you don't even like into the universe.

Fact is, if the story was just my perfect vision...there would be no stakes, no drama, and no thrills.

Luke would sit on his royal force throne and benevolently send out his loyal and perfect knights to patrol a happy and satisfied galaxy of harmony, plenty and peace...

Trying getting that movie green lit.

You don't like something, that is fine, not everything must be embraced rapturously.

There will be another chapter to the universe.

When I was young, I didn't believe there would EVER be more Star Wars. Sequel Trilogy? Prequels? Not even on the radar.

So to have a time now where, essentially, good or bad, as long as movies are being made, Star Wars will be made...that is incredibly reassuring.

Who knows...in another decade, we could have an absolutely clunker that everyone reviles and suddenly the one you used to dislike so much just is not as bad anymore.

Time marches on...and thankfully, so does Star Wars.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  4. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I take everything GL did, so Episodes I-VI and Clone Wars, and tend to ignore the rest as far as the “canon” is concerned. Star Wars is one of those series that’s inseparable from its creator for me.

I’ve still been keeping up with the new content, but I haven’t enjoyed it too much outside of Rogue One and Mandalorian (S1).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I do now, yeah. I watched the Saga in 1-9 order for the first time last year, and absolutely loved it. The entire experience helped elevate some of the films and creative choices I was less fond of. As a contrast, I marathoned them in release order for Star Wars Day this year, and found it to be a less compelling and engrossing experience than watching them linearly 1-9, which I'll be sticking to for all subsequent viewings. And this is coming from someone who used to be staunchly for watching the Saga in release order.

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I am so proud of you for finally seeing the light and switching to chronological order. :p

As for the thread, yeah, the Saga is 1-9 for me. I like all three trilogies for their different strengths and don't skip either prequels or sequels, and I like the way they all work together.
    Everything else, TCW, RO, Mando, etc. is all great, and enhances the Saga in many ways, but I watch them separately from the Saga. If I just want to watch a Star Wars movie, I'm more likely to put on Rogue One or Solo than any of the Saga films, because those need to be watched together (at least each trilogy).

7. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Nope, the saga is strictly Episodes I - VI for me, that's it. Watched the sequels - to my regret - gave R1 a chance, never watched TCW, Rebels, Mandalorian or whatever. Just don't think I missed anything. I'm satisfied with I - VI. No matter if the new Disney stuff is good or not, I simply can't be bothered. If there is one thing I slightly look forward to it could be Villeneuve's Dune. Having mixed feelings about it, but may possibly give it a try anyway.
    As for SW, the story pretty much ended in 2005 for me.

8. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Yes. It's one whole saga. Even though the ST heavily departed from Lucas' original intentions, I came to accept that compromise well before TFA was released.

9. KyloLukeLeia

KyloLukeLeia Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 10, 2020
    Interesting post. I like the ST movies individually but I just can't see them as a Trilogy or part of the 1-6 Saga yet. For example, I think Palpatine PT arc really gives depth to the 1-6 on the formation of the Empire and The Throne Room Scenes in ROTJ. What does the ST add to the PT/OT story that makes it better for you? I would love to hear from anyone else who has chimed in their thoughts too on this specific subject?

oierem likes this.
  10. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Yeah, and even though there are bits I'm less fond of, and one of them is the very final chapter, it's only going to get more cemented by new material that this is the story. Certainly the PT was improved by other material, perhaps even TROS can be as well, but hey, that's the story. Increasingly, the nine film saga is only part of the overall tapestry anyway, and I've probably been tilting toward being more into the rest of it since TCW, although I loved TFA and TLJ.

KyloLukeLeia likes this.
  11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Just think in 10-15 years will have a entire generation that ONLY KNOW 1-9 as the Saga (Unless 10-12 are made during that time period) and that's just gonna get more and more cemented with each new additional generation entering the Star Wars fandom.

12. Scoffed-Gherkin

Scoffed-Gherkin Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 11, 2021
    Honestly, I’m ambivalent about the prequels, and I pretty much outright reject the sequel trilogy. The story ends with Return of the Jedi. It’s like all those Terminator sequels without James Cameron. They don’t count.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well sure everyone is gonna have their thoughts

But like the story will sement itself with future generations since that's all they are gonna know. They are only gonna know a world were 1-9 IS the Saga.

KyleKartan and KyloLukeLeia like this.
  14. Scoffed-Gherkin

Sep 11, 2021
    And I feel that each trilogy has made it progressively weaker. I honestly just wish that George Lucas had called it quits after 1983, and moved on to other things.

At this point, I don’t even call myself a Star Wars fan. I love the original trilogy and I love the Knights of the Old Republic video games. Beyond that? No.

I didn’t leave Star Wars. Star Wars left me.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    Darth Megatronus likes this.
  15. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well that's to bad. But hey it happens.

Things change and if people don't like the change then best to get off the train.

@PymParticles

For me

Release Order is if you wanna see the Evolution of Star Wars from a out of universe perspective. Go from that film no one had any idea about to this big multi billion dollar franchise

Chronological Order is when you kinda wanna see what the grand in-universe story is all about.

That's how i view the orders of things.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2021
  16. Scoffed-Gherkin

Sep 11, 2021
    @Jid123Sheeve I pretty much have gotten off the Star Wars train at this point. I honestly consider Tolkien my only true fandom anymore.

17. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Same. I accept official canon, and choose to enjoy the segments that appeal to me.

TX-20, CampOfSorgan and KyloLukeLeia like this.
  18. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Yes, to me the saga is 1-9, I don't see any reason not to include one or more of the movies, even if I don't like some pieces here or there. I'd generally consider the anthologies to be a part of that as well.

I haven't really found the time or interest to watch the entire story lately, nor even watch a trilogy at a time. If I had the time though, I'd go 1-3, Rogue One, 4-9 in terms of viewing order. There is something to be gained by going by order of release if you haven't seen movies before, but if you already know them, there isn't really any reason not to go from I to IX.

So you have gotten off the Star Wars train so much so that you decided to join a Star Wars message board this past Sunday? :confused:

I mean, to each his own, one certainly doesn't need to like everything a franchise has to offer. Not to mention that feelings change over time anyway. But I would find it a bit surprising to do something that even many fans wouldn't do (join a message board) if you consider yourself to be on the way out.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  19. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    No, just I-VI for me.
    I do enjoy watching the rest of the movies, though. I just can't see them as part of the same story.

20. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    The thing you have to remember is that the story told in Episodes 1-6 was already written during the OT days. So even if you dislike the PT films, it is still the accepted story.

7-9...yea......no.

21. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    For me it all belongs together. The movies, Shows, games, Comics, books. One big universe, one big history. I do love the new Canon and I love Legends. I can enjoy and have fun with both!

SW is an escape for me. Fun, enjoyment, Passion. No room to fill my head with stuff I dont like. There is enough of this in real life.

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The PT, the OT, The New Jedi Order Book Series, and the Legacy Vol. 1 Comics are my SW Saga.

mtt02263 likes this.
  23. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Nobody and nothing is holding you up on just enjoying the OT. I dont get how anyone can wish that there hasnt been any SW since 1983. How does it effect your love for the OT? It's nonsensical to me.

SW didnt leave you. You just found other stuff thats more of your taste. It's your taste and choice what you like and what you dont like. So in the end its a lot more about you then its about SW.

Dark Ferus and TX-20 like this.
  24. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I know you weren't responding to me but I wanted to add my take.

My love for the OT remains the same. But one thing the ST did in terms of my fandom is it kind of lessened the status overall that SW once held in my head. Nowadays, Star Wars is just another franchise I enjoy among many, with its hits and misses that I select at my own discretion. If the ST had never been released, or if it had actually been good, then I have no doubt that Star Wars would still be a head above all the rest of the other franchises that I enjoy. And I think that's what people actually mean when they say that the ST ruined Star Wars. Not that Star Wars overall is bad now, just that it isn't special anymore. Which is disappointing in itself, since we are no longer specifically a Star Wars fan on its own, in addition to being a fan of all these other things. Star Wars is now just one of those many things to enjoy equally.

Does that make sense?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  25. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    That's... questionable at least! lol
    But I understand what you mean.

It does make sense, and in a way, I agree with you.
    However, that same argument could be applied to the PT. Or to Empire and Jedi.
    If Star Wars had had no sequels at all, it would be a much more special and unique film.
    But... wouldn't that be a shame?

TX-20, darthfettus2015 and KyleKartan like this.