main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Does Ben Solo Deserve his own movie?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by PrincessKenobi , Jan 7, 2020.

?

Should there be a Ben Solo Movie?

1. Yes

54 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    64.0%
  1. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    In all honesty, I don't think the character warrants a spin-off of any sort. We don't need to see his downfall, because we already had a whole trilogy and animated series going through his grandfather's more compelling and emotionally motivated descent to the Dark Side. Any sort of retcon would be just as pointless as doing some alternate universe movie where Anakin never fell, and just had fun going on adventures. It's just not who the character is. If they're going to return to the well of the ST at any point, which I hope they do, I'd rather see something revolving around Finn. Apart from that, I think the franchise is best served by introducing us to new heroes and villains, exploring new time periods, and telling new stories, with absolutely no connection to the Skywalker saga apart from being set in the same galaxy.

2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    If you're referring to @PymParticles he stepped down from moderating a while ago. His cheap irony is now of the ordinary user variety. Just a common lovable scamp.
    You'll get no argument from me about this.
    I don't want them to return to the ST well, but if/when they do, this would also probably be what would interest me the most.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Agreed with all of that... including not wanting them to return to the ST, but IF they do, then that would be the preferable way for me.

We should give Pym a custom title.

4. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    not sure whether this is sarcasm,

hard to tell when half the mods hate the movies/characters of the franchise on a board they moderate.

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It's not sarcasm... that shot was my favorite part of Ben Solo's return.

As to the other comment... mods are allowed to have our own opinions, and we're not required to love everything about the films, shows, etc. being discussed in the forums. But for me personally, my realization that I don't like the ST was part of why I decided to step down from modding in that particular forum.

6. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    ok, I liked it too.

Just to be clear my question wasn't meant to be flippant, was genuinely curious.

I actually respect that decision you took if that is the case, Kudos to you sir.

EHT likes this.
  7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It's why we both left. Together. Forever. Hold me like you did by the lake in Mod Squad. Before the wars. Before all those posts. Before the ST made us rethink our life choices.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    If they do something with Ben I’d like an animated series that explores his relationship with Luke. Not so much his fall because I agree that’s been shown with Anakin but more just the adventures they went on before everything went sour. That little glimpse we have of Ben in TROS was great and I’d like to see more of him when he was like that.

9. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    We should give Pym a custom title.[/QUOTE]
    I'll take it.

I just feel like that would skirt too close to fostering a Clone Wars-esque sense of impending, foreboding tragedy, without as strong of a central conceit to build diverse stories around. When you go in knowing how that relationship is going to pan out, the expectation that everything we're seeing is going to lead to that point dominates the narrative. Not only would that be an issue for the writers to overcome, I think it would honestly be an issue for fans from an engagement standpoint as well. Anything that doesn't directly contribute to a growing rift between the two would feel like filler.

Mostly Handless and Django Fett like this.
  10. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    May be Ben Solo could be a What If style series, other than that it just seems so pointless at this time.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I looked back on my original response to this and it remains the same—if the series gave a new outlook on his life story and actually made him sympathetic, I would watch.

Otherwise, sure, they could make it to make the Reylos/Kylo fans happy and I would only watch only under penalty of getting Covid again.

As far as the rest of the discussion:

I also liked the Han Solo shrug, pointed finger, and the scene with Han’s memory—that scene was not only one where I really liked Ben Solo, but it was also my favorite of the ST next to Luke’s Crait speech.

Not everyone who dislikes Kylo Ren, dislikes the ST. I would love it if the scenes above were the entire narrative around him or if he were not in the movies at all.

And nobody worships Anakin. :rolleyes:

Mostly Handless and Sarge like this.
  12. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The character of Kylo Ren - a privileged and whiny bad boy white kid - was conceived in a different era. Things have changed a lot in entertainment since TFA, mostly for the better, and I think Lucasfilm understands that, and will therefore not be revisiting Kylo Ren as a main character.

13. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'd totally watch a romantic comedy between Rey and Kylo's Force ghost.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This is unfair to the narrative of the ST. Yes, Kylo Ren is a privileged and entitled ***** but that’s not something that’s portrayed as a positive trait. He’s the villain and gets his comeuppance several times throughout the trilogy. Rey specifically puts him on his ass at the end of TFA.

15. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Oh, of course those attributes aren’t lauded. I’m just saying that focusing on a character with such a background - and on his redemption - may not be seen as ideal in the contemporary entertainment scene.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don’t think his privileged entitlement was portrayed as a positive per se, but I did see an overall narrative that we are supposed to pity him because being a Skywalker is hard, and that annoyed me to no end.

17. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I really wish they had shown or explained how he found out about Vader being his grandfather instead of it being in a book. The things they used elsewhere to try and make him sympathetic failed because they were never on the big screen.

Also, I would be open to an animated show. It could give us more than just Kylo Ren and life at the temple in general in the time after the empire.

18. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Not a fan of his character still , but I wouldn't actively oppose something other Star Wars fans would enjoy.

I wouldn't watch after what happened in the ST.

Darth Smurf and Iron_lord like this.
  19. Logray'sBirdHat

Logray'sBirdHat Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 12, 2022

Si. Senor speaks truth.

20. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I would have been interested if things went differently with TROS. But that film hampered my enjoyment of the character, and I'm happy to let him be now.

21. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    I think enough story has been focused (ruined) in service to the character of "Ben Solo". I would like it if we never even have a single reference to the character moving forward. 3 movies, and his motives for making a HUGE life changing choice, are still vague and virtually non-existent.

22. rktho

rktho Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 29, 2020
    For two reasons, no. One, for the same reason Darth Vader doesn't need his own movie. Two, because Ben Solo, in my opinion, represents everything wrong with the sequel trilogy. Almost every problem with it is either exemplified and/or caused by Ben Solo. The storyline was already derailed to cater specifically to his own arc. He doesn't need any more focus. He's already stolen the spotlight from everyone around him— especially the characters of color.

23. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    It's that very reason that I wouldn't mind seeing a film or films not taking place after the ST but before; I would love to see the things that gave him those motives to turn to the Darkside. How did he get involved/what was his relationship with Snoke? What ultimately made him turn against Luke to the point where he was okay going against his own uncle? And I wouldn't mind seeing more fleshed out with the Knights of Ren-who could perhaps be actual characters in these films, rather than just interesting looking background figures. We could then also see things like Luke training at his Jedi temple, perhaps even the first hints of the emerging First Order, etc.

I know that sounds quite similar to the PT, but I really wouldn't mind seeing that part of the story fleshed out.

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Maybe we should as, is Ben Solo entitled to his own movie? :kylo::_|

25. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    I'd enjoy a Disney+ series (live action or animated) set between 8 and 9, after Kylo's first monumental failure as Supreme Leader, with plenty of flashbacks to Ben's initial fall, really zeroing in on his fatal flaw -- the fear of not living up to expectations (that he's not worthy of being the child of the great Rebellion heroes, that he's not as strong as Vader, that he's not being taken seriously as the Supreme Leader), the fear of what others think of him, a fear he's never able to shake, despite his solution of simply destroying whoever's causing him to feel inadequate, in the end, ironically being haunted by the seemingly unkillable ghost of his master.

I can imagine the final scene, cross-cutting between him putting on the mask for the first time, and him putting on the repaired mask, connecting up to 9, and showing his continued habit of hiding himself. I also think it'd be an interesting theme to deal with nowadays in the social media age, dealing with the pressure of not being good enough.

I wouldn't necessarily want a Ben Solo series exclusively though. Could just be a ST ensemble piece. I think you can tell a parallel story with Rey dealing with her own set of expectations, being the new Luke, so to speak, and I still think the definitive Finn/Poe story has yet to be told, really making use of their Stormtrooper/Rebel history. There could be a trippy episode telling Snoke's story, from his perspective, sometimes feeling like his actions are not his own, having motives but not understanding why, etc.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
    Mostly Handless likes this.