main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Disney have plans to release Indiana Jones books?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by BadCane, Jun 5, 2018.

1. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    We all know that most of the old Star Wars EU was rebranded Legends, and the books are being sold both on paper and ebook formats.

Do you guys know if there any hint that Disney will do the same with Indiana Jones books? They must see the light of day! Some of Indys books are pretty hard to find these days, while you can easily find some obscure Star Wars titles at the Kindle Store with a click!

Thanks!

Tython Awakening likes this.
  2. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    The Indiana Jones books and comics are all out-of-print currently. Digital versions are currently not for sale.

The only clue I have found is that Amazon is currently taking pre-orders for the Indy Omnibus Vol. 3, published by Titan Books, for Jan. 1, 2019. This is the Omnibus series in three volumes that Dark Horse published of Marvel's "Further Adventures" 80's run.

[​IMG]

The Conan comics license is moving to Marvel in Jan. 2019. I have not seen a similar announcement for Indiana Jones.

Lucasfilm started treating the Indiana Jones comics differently than Star Wars when Dark Horse held the license. That's a hint that Indiana Jones may not necessarily move to Marvel just because Star Wars is there. A new Indiana Jones film might create some new tie-in comics and allow digital versions of reprints on Comixology.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    BadCane likes this.
  3. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Oh man, Conan's moving over to Marvel? That's another tough one for Dark Horse.

I haven't come across any rumors or news about this for a long time. I think there's so many cool things you could do with Indy in books, graphic novels, and comics, that it's a shame Lucasfilm has left the property idle for so long.

I frequently see reprints of Indiana Jones and the Army of the Dead in book stores that has the Disney logo on it, but that was originally released way back in 2009, and in fact I think it was released like almost a decade after the previous novel was released. Apparently Rob MacGregor had also completed a novel based off Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings for release around 2009, too, but seems like a massive fiasco occurred and Lucusfilm basically decided not to release the completed novel.

Since then, I don't think I've heard much on the Indy comics and literature front. I suspect as they gear up production for the next film we'll start seeing some content.

BadCane likes this.
  4. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    We'll certainly see a movie adaption of the 5th film. Hopefully that will lead to some new comics.

I would imagine that the Omnibuses could be reissued by Dark Horse or Marvel. I currently have them all, Volumes 1-3 of the original Marvel 1980s run plus the two volumes of Dark Horse's own run from the 1990s. The one area where they dropped the ball was not reissuing theYoung Indiana Jones Chronicle comics Dark Horse published. There were only twelve issues so they could have easily put out a trade paperback omnibus like the other volumes.

BadCane and Tython Awakening like this.
  5. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    It would be nice to see digital versions of the reprints from the 80s, 90s, and 2000s. The advert on Amazon that I came across suggests Titan may publish reprints of the Dark Horse Omnibus editions. I would be happy to see Titan republish all 5 of the Omnibus editions in the interim period before a new film comes out and the license likely ends up with Marvel.

A Dark Horse former editor mentioned that Indy comics are more difficult to do than Star Wars comics. She might have said that due to a) historical accuracy, and b) repeating plot/story elements from previous adventures. We already have quite a bit of Indy stories from the 80s and 90s.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'd think a novel tie-in for the new film, if nothing else.

7. BadCane

Oct 28, 2015
    All I want is that books like Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs or Indiana Jones and the Philosopher's Stone show up across Amazon.

I'd be verry happy. Comics too, of course.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've got a couple of the old books - I think I got them in the Amazon UK marketplace.

9. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    I'm sure we'll get a new guide book from DK publishing. Either an updated version of "The Ultimate Guide" with material from the new movie or a stand alone book covering Indy 5.

[​IMG]

They could also update the "Making of..." book by J.W. Rinzler but since he no longer works at Lucasfilm (and seems to have departed on not great terms) I don't know if they would bring him back. I would certainly hope so although Laurent Bouzerau is certainly more than capable of handling it himself.

[​IMG]

BadCane and Tython Awakening like this.
  10. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    The novels and comics were reprinted with Crystal Skull's release.

We'll get something original, I think, it's more a question of whether or not we keep getting stuff.

Crystal Skull led to one original adult novel, two young adult novels, one comic miniseries, a FCBD oneshot with Star Wars and two digest sized TPBs.

Wouldn't have stopped if they were selling.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Tython Awakening and BadCane like this.
  11. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Amazon was taking preorders for the Marvel Vol. 3 Omnibus published by Titan for Jan 1, 2019. Now they are no longer taking preorders.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  12. BadCane

Oct 28, 2015
    Oh, well...

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    If I was Marvel I would launch an Indiana Jones monthly comic series NOW or starting early 2019 as a lead up to Indiana Jones 5. Do it while the anticipation grows because once the film is out interest will begin to dwindle after a year or so.

14. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    I completely agree. Marvel could publish reprint editions and make digital editions available on comixology.com

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    BadCane likes this.
  15. BadCane

Oct 28, 2015
    One can only hope.

christophero30 likes this.
  16. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    More Indy is always a good thing. Hold on to your potatoes!

BadCane and Gobi-1 like this.