main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Padmé still love Anakin after he chokes her?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by superfob54, May 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superfob54

superfob54 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2005
    i didnt read the script or the book for rots so dont flame me but...

does padme still love anakin after he chokes her?

does she know that anakin turned to the dark side so he could save her?

2. Thulium

Thulium Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 1999
    Does she still love Anakin? Absolutely...and that's the problem. If she didn't care, she might've gone on to live a long life raising the Twins in secrecy but enjoying the protection of the Emporer's #1 guy--at least, that is, until Sidious managed to find a way to kill her without upsetting his apprentice.

Does she know that Anakin was trying to save her? Perhaps, but his motivation for turning to the dark side isn't the issue in her mind. The problem is that he's turned and given himself over to greed and hatred.

Remember Obi-Wan's "From a certain point of view"? Well that point of view was Padme's. As far as Padme was concerned, Darth Vader betrayed and murdered the good man who was Anakin Skywalker. Padme loved Anakin Skywalker, but she was widowed by Darth Vader.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yes, she very much still loves him. The last thing she says to Obi-wan, is that there is still good in him. She believes it wholeheartedly. She loved him as much as she said in AOTC and throughout their time together in ROTS.

Anakin tells Padme that he forsees her death and that he will stop at nothing to save her. She tries to tell him that she doesn't want him to be all powerful, she just wants him to be the same man that he was before. And on Mustafar, when they meet, she sees that he has indeed become Darth Vader. And that he did all of this, claiming it was for her, but in reality, it was only for himself. It's too much for her.

"The thing that breaks Padme's heart in the end is the fact that Anakin says to hear, 'Come and join me. I have all the power now. I can rule the universe and you can do it with me.' So the idea of saving her life has become a minor issue. And that's when she says, 'Wait a minute. This is not what I want and you're not the guy I fell in love with!'"
    --George Lucas, The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith; page 52

4. superfob54

superfob54 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2005
    And that he did all of this, claiming it was for her, but in reality, it was only for himself. It's too much for her.

What!? He did that for himself? I was under the impression that he turned so he could save padme, not for himself.

5. AUSSIETROOPER20

AUSSIETROOPER20 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2004
    she still does untile he says join me and together we can rule this galaxy as husband and wife, then he chockes her and throws her when she refueses to join him.

6. henderson

henderson Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2005
    "What!? He did that for himself? I was under the impression that he turned so he could save padme, not for himself."

At first, it was all for Padme. He gained power to try and save her. But, at the same time, Anakin, wanted more power anyway, he thought he should be the most powerful Jedi ever. To him, it was a two for one deal. But as time went on, he forgot about Padme, and gained power for himself. Padme realizes this when they are on Mustafar. Even after all the terrible things he'd done, Padme still loved him. At that point they could've gone away to a remote world and live out the rest of their days. But he didn'd do that, he said " I can ruled the galaxy now, I can overthrow Sids and... oh yeah I can save you too, but most of all I can rule the galaxy. You see, Vader got that power for himself, Anakin wanted that power to save Padme, but was duped by Vader.

7. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Vader really screwed Anakin out of what he wanted.

8. MovieTrailerMusic

MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 17, 2004
    [image=http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/rjavery/padme.JPG]

9. henderson

henderson Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2005
    Yes I see your point, but the fact of the matter is...

10. AUSSIETROOPER20

AUSSIETROOPER20 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2004
    There's a rumor going that darkhorse comics will make a comic seiers of Padme returning back from the dead, cause other female hero's in comics have returned from the dead like electra in Daredevil, so perhaps Padme will return and disguise herself as a freedom fighter and fight the empire secretly.

maybe have those special clone commanders on her side, like Alpha, Cody, Bly, Neyo, etc.

11. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    """"she still does untile he says join me and together we can rule this galaxy as husband and wife, then he chockes her and throws her when she refueses to join him.""""

after the choke she still loved him.her next words after the choke were:

1-obi one,is anakin alright?
    2-obi wan there is good in him,i know there is still..

clearly she loved him even after all he did,after the killing the"join me" line,the force choke,she still loved him after that.

12. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    """"At first, it was all for Padme. He gained power to try and save her. But, at the same time, Anakin, wanted more power anyway, he thought he should be the most powerful Jedi ever. To him, it was a two for one deal. But as time went on, he forgot about Padme, and gained power for himself. Padme realizes this when they are on Mustafar. Even after all the terrible things he'd done, Padme still loved him. At that point they could've gone away to a remote world and live out the rest of their days. But he didn'd do that, he said " I can ruled the galaxy now, I can overthrow Sids and... oh yeah I can save you too, but most of all I can rule the galaxy. You see, Vader got that power for himself, Anakin wanted that power to save Padme, but was duped by Vader.""""

you are right but what we are disscussing here is if anakin loved padme,not if vader loved padme,of course vader didnt love padme,vader didnt love anybody but anakin,the good man vader was before that palps son of a $%&# poisoned his mind all it wasnted was his wife to live.

so we agree in something :anakin loved padme and padme loved anakin.vader didnt love anybody but padme still loved vader.

PS: i just feel like i could explode when palps tells vader that padme is dead and smiles.how evil can the guy be?
    and just after that scene they show padme's funeral :_| :_| :_| :_| :_|

13. JediStarfighter30

JediStarfighter30 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2005
    He NEVER forgot about Padme, everything he did revolved around her! She was his whole world.

" Just help me save Padme, I can't live without her. "

14. iKillBabyJedis

iKillBabyJedis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    She Loved him and knew what he did for her. But could not forgive or follow his actions of killing all good in the Galaxy. Even if it was for her and his Love for her.

But There is still Good in him.... There is stillll....

15. Eron_Darkestar

Eron_Darkestar Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2005
    Anakin's affections for Padme were always tied up with his self-opinion. I'll elaborate. Anakin always felt/was told that he was destined for greatness. But at the same time he always felt he was restrained from being great partially by the Council, mostly by Obi Wan's sterness. He wanted respect...recognition and Padme's was never enough. She loved him--almost blindly--but it wasnt enough for him. Her love and acceptance was never enough for him. So much so that he never asked for help to try and save her.

Padme suggested he go to Obi Wan numerous times and he refused. He wanted to prove himself as well as save her. His pride was always tied up with his affections but only when he became Darth Vader did it rear its head. Anakin never thought love was enough, Vader merely vocalised his feelings. For him power was always a goal. He didnt have the humility to go to the Jedi for help, he wanted to do it all alone. Anakin did not do all the evil things he did solely to save his wife, rest assured. She was part of the equation but she wasnt the be all and end all. If Padme were all he cared about then when she asked him to go to Naboo with her on Mustafar he would've dropped everything and left.

Forget the crocodile tears after killing the seperatists. Part of Anakin always wanted to be seen for what he was in his own mind: Legendary. Seen morever by the whole galaxy and the more evil he became the more honest he became about his desire for 'more'. If he felt like his new powers were enough to save her why didnt he just stop there? His lust for power, for recognition from the universe was always a part of him. She was willing to go away with him, a child killer, a slaughterer, to Naboo and act like nothing happened. But even that wasnt enough for Master Skywalker. Padme was never enough for Master Skywalker.

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Padme LOVED Anakin deeply but he didnt love her. That much is clear. St Paul teaches in 1 Cor 13 that 'love does not insist on its own way'. Anakin never shows the slightest hint of understanding that lesson.

16. iKillBabyJedis

iKillBabyJedis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    So your saying Love is Free? That it doesnt have its own set Way?

Your Saying Love can not be tamed or forced to stay?

Because Love is supposed to change and adapt and when we Love we should let it grow and Let it Go?

Your saying Love is unconditional? So if you Love and you lose the thing you Love under certain conditions,its Ok?

We should keep loving it? Because are Love for that thing is Unconditional?

If this is what your saying then it would of been impossible for Anakin to learn this lesson but eventually he did.

Personally I believe Love is a chemical reaction that are bodies have when in contact with something we Lust for.

But Wutever I'd still Hit It! :)

17. JediStarfighter30

May 28, 2005
    This is the most ridiculous thing that I have EVER heard Eron_Darkstar:

" She loved him--almost blindly--but it wasnt enough for him. Her love and acceptance was never enough for him. So much so that he never asked for help to try and save her."

And just WHO was he going to ask? The Jedi's that would have kicked him out of the order? Obi Wan? So he can get another 50 minute lecture on attachement when its way too late cause he's been married for years? Not when the person that you love most in the world is in danger of dying! Yoda? who told him to let go of everything that he holds dear? His whole response to him sounded exactly like something Vader would say. Was I the only one in the theatre going " huh? what?". Ofcoarse he did not try to ask her to try to save him, she does not know the ways of the force nor understand them or what he was going through at the moment, she can only watch her husband use the force and try to understand. She's a senator not a JEDI! It is clear that he did not want to burden her although he did speak to her about it and her response was to ease his mind " You ask too much of yourself." She was trying to comfort him, which is normal for a wife to do. Secondly, she's PREGNANT! he loves her and he's trying to protect her and their baby. As he should have, it's his responsibility to look after the well being of his wife and child. The way he reacted was normal, most men would do the same thing. ( A real man anyways ). After all the responsibilites on his shoulders, the chaos in the galaxy, three years of relentless war, being shut out and misunderstood by his fellow Jedi who couldn't even help him deal with the strength of the force within him, he did the best thing he could do to help save his family. Maybe his motives were not what Padme had intended, but they were pure. It would be difficult for someone like Padme to udnerstand his feelings at the moment as it is for anyone who did not have the scars that Anakin carried with him his entire life. Everyone he loved, he lost, he was not losing her and he risked everything, even if it meant his own destruction. Was I the only one who caught the look of disgust on his face after he pledged his allegiance to Palpy? He looked like he was going to throw up and then immediately after he says " Just help me save Padme, I can't live without her." He meant to end the secrecy of thier marraige, to end the war in the galaxy and have peace for thier child. No more being away from each other for months on end. Anakin wanted, NEEDED to gain the knowledge of the force to help save her. For anyone to say that he did not love her is ridiculous, then what did he do it all for? Why is he even fighting Obi Wan? ( " you will not take her from me!!!"). Why then at the end is the big NO!!!! when he's told she's dead and everything in the room explodes? He lost his life when he lost Padme, at that moment Vader was born. Empty, hollow and destroyed.

18. JediStarfighter30

May 28, 2005
    "I've said it once and I'll say it again. Padme LOVED Anakin deeply but he didnt love her. That much is clear. St Paul teaches in 1 Cor 13 that 'love does not insist on its own way'. Anakin never shows the slightest hint of understanding that lesson. "

Eron_Darkestar

Paul was never married!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    His course would have been different if God had placed that desire in his heart but he did not. Anakin was not given a choice!! It was either save her or let her die.

19. LordBlack

LordBlack Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2005
    The question is would you do what Anakin did if your WIFE was Natalie 'Padme' Portman. ;)

20. JediStarfighter30

May 28, 2005
    Honestly, if I was in Anakin's position, I would do the same thing and not hesitate for a moment.

21. Eron_Darkestar

Eron_Darkestar Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2005
    Not factoring in the question of who would have tried to help him my point still stands. His reactions to Padme's prompts to seek help from Obi-Wan are constantly negative. He doesnt say, Obi-Wan cant help us, he simply insists 'we dont need him'. Anakin's actions betray his pride throughout that film and his insistence on going it alone is an illustration of the attiude that I have discussed.

I disagree with your statements that his motives were pure. If they were why didnt he kill Palpatine when he confessed he did not know Plagieus' secret? Observe Sidious' attitude towards Anakin throughout Episode III. He plays off of Anakin's desires for Padme but also his desires for recognition i.e. not being chosen to lead the campaign against Grevious, not being a Jedi Master. Padme is the ace in his deck but there are a few other good cards in their too.

Again regardless of his look of disgust when he turns. He still ignores the fact that Palpatine confesses that he does not know how to save Padme. Instead he begins plotting to make himself Emperor and his hidden lust for power begins to show itself.

Regardless of whether or not St Paul was married the lesson still stands. Anakin could not have thought that Padme would like him murdering children and slaughtering the seperatists. Nobody in their right mind could have thought that. She might not have wanted to die but she would not have chosen to preserve her life above so many others, particularly innocents.

True love is self-sacrificing, even to the point of sacrificing the object of one's love. There was nothing wrong with Yoda's lesson. Anakin didnt try to save Padme for Padme's sake he tried to save her for himself. If he would have been thinking correctly he would have seen that she is not the kind of woman who would watch him do anything just to save her. She wanted Ani not Darth Vader.

He was blinded by his possessiveness, by his inability to empathise with her point of view. If he had truly loved her he would not have turned to the Dark Side. Rather, he would have spent all the time he thought he had left with her making memories with which to cherish reminding her of how much he loved her.

All the points you've listed relate to what Anakin wanted. To end the secrecy, to save his wife etc.etc. But to be frank what Anakin wanted is irrelevant because he was not the one who was dying. He should have asked Padme what she wanted. Indeed, he should have known. She simply wanted to be held and to go away with him, away from the circus that was Coruscant.

But, of course, Anakin could not do that. Because tied up with his affections for Padme was his desire for recognition. He felt deeply for her, what I dont know, but whatever it was it was always mingled with his self-aggrandizing attitude. That is not love.

Attachment, undoubtedly. Love...

...*shakes head* never

Oh and if it were my wife. Well, it should be clear by now. But in sum: "Naked I came from my Mother's womb and naked I shall return there. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken from me. Blessed is the name of the Lord"--Job 1:21

22. SKSeven

SKSeven Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    Anakin loved Padme unconditionally. Vader loved Padme a whole lot, but there were some conditions attached to it.

I think Anakin had really always loved Padme, and probably did throughout the entire span of the movies. I think he felt that he would fail her if she died and he couldn't stop it. Look at the power he wanted- he was ready and willing to share it with her. He wanted to make her dreams of peace come true; unfortunatly, it was in a way that she simply could not accept. His anger at her refusal seemed to ring of "What? Is it not good enough for you? Or more to the point, am I not good enough for you?" She was his motivation for all things except his need to be a great Jedi, but even then, some of it might have been a need to make her proud of him. He could never seem to grasp that she loved him just the way he was, warts and all.

That's my two pennies, anyways.

23. THEFORCEROCKS

THEFORCEROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    She was his motivation for all things except his need to be a great Jedi, but even then, some of it might have been a need to make her proud of him. He could never seem to grasp that she loved him just the way he was, warts and all.

Exactly "Is that whats troubling you. You dont need anymore power to save me I believe you can save me as you are."-Padme Skywalker

All Anakin had to do was be himself and she wouldve lived.

24. DarkJasroSkywalker

DarkJasroSkywalker Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    the point is,that he did it all for her.and i think,she didn't wanted that he killed for her,that he turned to the dark side,just for her..
    afters padmé's death,he had no reason to go back...he couldn't go back...he had the power he wanted and that's it.

25. JediStarfighter30

May 28, 2005
    Eron_Darkestar-

Unfortunatly your point does NOT still stand, and you still don't understand. His reactions to Obi Wan helping he and Padme are not negative, they are realistic, he's living it day in and day out do you not think that he knows the way they would react? The movie clearly illustrates this. He knows very well what will happen if they turn to Obi Wan, he will be kicked out of the Jedi order, and Obi Wan will be placed in a difficult situation, in a way he's trying to protect them both. He's trying to be a man and solve the situation on his own without involving anyone else or making Obi Wan look bad. How do you think the council would take to him training a knight who's been on "dangerous" ground for years and have Obi Wan not knowing it? Just how good would that make Obi Wan look? Just how stupid is he is my question? He's not, I think he knew about him and Padme and I think Anakin knew this as well and that's why he wanted to handle it himself without incriminating him. Also, did you conviniently forget that Anakin also was bound to secrecy by his wife who did not want anyone else to know because she felt that the galaxy needed him? She knew what a powerful Jedi he was, she recognized this and was proud about all the work he was doing for the Republic out in the galaxy. In Episode II she tells him " I will not let you give up your future for me, regardless of the way we feel about each other". It is clear that they give into their love but Padme still stands firm in her beliefs even when he doesn't care about others knowing even when he knows the repricusions. HE LOVES HER!!!!!
    He did not kill Palpy when he confessed he did not know Plagius secret because what he said was " the secret to cheating death is a feat only one man has accomplished but IF WE WORK TOGETHER PERHAPS WE CAN DISCOVER IT IN TIME." He still gave him hope that they could possibly discover the answer which is more than the Jedi could ever do. They couldn't even help him with the power that he already had, not to mention something like creating or saving life! That is something the Jedi would never do, unless ofcoarse you've conviniently forgotten that too. As far as plotting to make himself "Emperor" that just makes it more clear that he did not care for Palpy much, as soon as he learned what he needed to he would have killed him. He never tells Padme " I will rule the galaxy " he says " we can rule the galaxy together adn we won't have to hide our love, there wil be no more war" where in this statement is he excluding her? His whole reason for doing this is FOR HER. About Paul, the lesson stands to and Anakin stands by it. His act was a selfless one, he risked losing himself to SAVE HER. He knows how dangerous the dark side is but he's willing to risk it, FOR HER. Why do you think he's disgusted and he's crying on Mustafar, he doesn't like what he's become but he's doing it FOR HER, he knows it must be done. How can you profess to know what a woman in love would do? Is she not supposed to stand by her hushand? I'm sure Padme would have, her last words were of him. No, she would not have liked the killing of innocents who in this case were the younglings because let's face it everybody else deserved what they got but she still died without him didn't she? Interestingly enough, the moment he's being operated on and is screaming in pain so is she. She can't take it, she knows he's almost gone. She dies of a broken heart and because she just can't take the pain. True love is self sacraficing that 's exactly what he did! What did she sacrifice for him? Nothing, she was the one that had nothing to lose, he was the one who stood to lose it all and HE DID NOT CARE! "He didn't try to save her for Padme's sake but for himself" what about is child? Or are you trying to tell me that he did not care about him/her too? Are you forgetting what he said about not being able to live without her? Or are you suggesting that Padme does not care herself whether she lives or dies and the only one obsessing about this is him? Hello.... I don't think s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.