main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Padmé still love Anakin after he chokes her?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by superfob54, May 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Padme force sensitive? Doesn't make sense, she said somewhere that Palpatine was her mentor, since Naboo, wouldnt he have chosen her as an apprentice if this were so? she sure would have been better than Maul, unless her sensitivity was like Leia's during the OT, not much but yeah kinda, although it was developed later.

2. JediStarfighter30

JediStarfighter30 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2005
    " By what slaughtering people and siding with a SITH lord her political adversary yeah he accomplished a lot "

Ok, let's just address the slaughtering of people first. Your not going to like this but here goes:

So when is it ok to kill? Think about what I am asking your first before you answer. The Jedi kill all the time but its "ok" because they kill the bad guys. But, isn't killing wrong? So who's right and who's wrong? The Sith kill everybody so they are
    " politically incorrect" which they should be because its not right. However, I've also been quick to reaize that everyone manipulates this ideaology to their convinience. Anakin kills the separatists 1) becuase Palpy told him to and he had become his new apprentice 2) because he wants to, in his view they are causing the break up of the Republic which is what he is trying to protect. Not only that, but he's had three long years of war because of it being away from his wife and risking his life and he's sick of it. He kills the younglings because they are Jedi's and the Jedi's are now trying to take over the Republic and so therefore they must be stopped. Another bad move on the Jedi's part. Even Yoda said it " very careful we must be " because this was not something that they should have been getting involved in. The Jedi's are not supposed to have anything to do with politics.

To address the other stuff:

He did what he had to do in order to gain the power to save her. The Jedi could not teach him this. Palpatine was not her political adversary, the Senate was not even aware that he was Sidius or what he was planning. If they had, they would have gotten rid of him. Your getting way ahead of yourself.

"HOw about appreciating her while she is living and having a little bit more faith and trust in her when she said he needed no more power to save her and the fact she said she wasnt going to die. "

Oh, ok, just slowly watch her die. Yeah, that sounds like a great idea. He was appreciating her, he was actively finding a solution to the problem. You still didn't answer the question unless you consider letting her die your answer. " Love can't save you Padme" He was right, it couldn't. Trust in her to do what? Die? I don't think he was willing to take that chance. I like the fact that she tells him that she is not going to die, but she's not the one having the nightmares, the visions. Nor does she have the power of the force and the accurate premonitions that Anakin has. Recall last time this happened, his mother died, he saw her, he was right and she did. HE NEVER FORGAVE HIMSELF.

"Yeah but Anakin placed himself under that stress it wasnt necessary "

On this I halfway agree with you, he had a lot of stresses that had nothing to do with Padme but when it came to her he took it all on. And yes, in his mind it was neccessary because he wanted to save her and his child. That's pretty neccessary to me, saving a life. That's important. Saving the life of someone you love, unquestionable.

" Yeah but who made that fruition come to realization? "

Palpy my friend, he's been manipulating everything in Anakin's life since the day he was born. That's simple.

3. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    """"Yeah but Anakin placed himself under that stress it wasnt necessary """"""

actually palps placed him there,when he asked him to be on the council,of course anakin agreed,he had no reason to not trust palps back then,also the council didnt help a lot with that crap of " let us now of any of the chancellor's dealings"

4. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    """"Oh, ok, just slowly watch her die. Yeah, that sounds like a great idea. He was appreciating her, he was actively finding a solution to the problem. You still didn't answer the question unless you consider letting her die your answer. " Love can't save you Padme" He was right, it couldn't. Trust in her to do what? Die? I don't think he was willing to take that chance. I like the fact that she tells him that she is not going to die, but she's not the one having the nightmares, the visions. Nor does she have the power of the force and the accurate premonitions that Anakin has. Recall last time this happened, his mother died, he saw her, he was right and she did. HE NEVER FORGAVE HIMSELF. """""

i couldnt agree more with this post. i mean let get real¡¡ just analize the nightmare, the way she asks for help, the way she screams for god's sake ¡¡ he had to do something,he just couldnt let her die,of course we know that if he had just trusted her she would've lived but anakin didnt have the chance to watch ROTS you know.if i have a nightmare of my wife dying and screaming like that i just have to do something,
    i know she promised him that she wouldnt die but anakin probably thought that padme said that only to comfort him wich is what a wife should do in that situation,but the thing is:he had already been in that position and he was to late to save his mother,this time he had to make sure that he wouldnt fail.

5. Moonlight-Jedi

Moonlight-Jedi Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2005
    But if Vader only loved himself, then why when Lord Siddius told him of Padmes death he screamed out no! That has to prove that deep down inside Darth vader, there was love for Padme

6. Grand_Poobah

Grand_Poobah Jedi Master star 1

Jun 24, 2001
    He yelled out "nooooo" because he lost a possession. I would have yelled the same thing if someone told me my Lexus was smashed in the parking lot. Did I "love" the Lexus - yeah, in a shallow, "I like to possess nice things" sort of way.

But what did Anakin ever give up for Padme? Nothing (and, similarly, she gave up nothing for him). They both wanted their own ambitions PLUS the hidden marriage. If they were so in love, the marriage would have come before all else - before their jobs, before the disapproval of friends and family, before everything. But they were not willing to sacrifice any of those things, which leads me to conclude (and it's only my own opinion) that what they had was not true love.

When their ambitions and the "love" collided, Anakin chose his new Empire over Padme. So he loved her only so long as he didn't have to give up anything else he desired. Once he was forced to choose - well, he didn't choose her. So I guess I can say that he loved her second best, right after his own ambitions.

To some, maybe that is still "true" love, but it doesn't seem that way to me.

7. JediStarfighter30

May 28, 2005
    He gave up his soul for her, I would say that's a lot. He stood to lose his position in the Jedi order if they found out he was married and he did not care. His whole life revolved around her, everything he did he did for her. To gain the power to save her, to "protect" her were his exact words. He yells no because he's lost the only thing that mattered to him, the one reason he did everything for. His purpose, his meaning, was always with her. He never imagined himself without her, this is why he tells Paply " I will do anything you ask, just help me save Padme, I can't live without her." Turns out, neither one of them can live without the other.

8. Grand_Poobah

Jun 24, 2001
    Oh, I think Anakin did care if he lost his position in the Jedi order. That's why they kept the marriage a secret. It's nice to say he would have given up his ambitions, but I don't see any evidence of that in the movie (or that Padme would give up her ambitions).

They both wanted to "live the lie" because then they wouldn't have to give up anything - and that lie was costing each of them their souls. It wasn't his love per se that ruined him, but the lie, which he needed to hang on to his career. Without the secrecy, he could have been more open and gotten better advice from Yoda, she could get medical treatment, etc.

They had it both ways for a while. But when push came to shove, their "love" came in second to other considerations.

Added: He immediately asked about her after going into the suit by default - who or what else could he possibly have asked about?

9. JediStarfighter30

May 28, 2005
    "Oh, I think Anakin did care if he lost his position in the Jedi order. That's why they kept the marriage a secret. It's nice to say he would have given up his ambitions, but I don't see any evidence of that in the movie (or that Padme would give up her ambitions). "

Did you watch the movie? In the beginning when he's rescured the Chancellor and meets with Padme he kisses her and she says " not here" and he say " I don't care if they know we are married, I'm tired of all this deception. " It's Padme if you read the book who does not want anyone to know because she believes that the work that he is doing for the Republic is too important and that he will be expelled from the Jedi Order. She's very proud of him and in Episode II she tells him " I will not let you give up your future for me."

"He immediately asked about her after going into the suit by default - who or what else could he possibly have asked about? "

He aks " where is Padme" because he 1) wants to know where she is ( most husbands want to know where their wives are and " is she alright?" 2) he wants to know if she's ok, he's worried, why, I don't know, maybe because he loves her? I don't know, if you'd just had a near death experience who would you ask about? Your LEXUS?

10. JediStarfighter30

May 28, 2005
    " he could have been more open and gotten better advice from Yoda"

Yoda? Your kidding right? Yoda who told him " you must train yourself to let go of everything your are afraid to lose." " Cry for them do not, miss them do not ." Yeah, I'm sure that's easy to do especially when your in love and your wife is pregnant and in danger of not only losing her life but your child's as well. You know, its funny that Yoda says this too becasue if you recall after he's survived the assasination attempt on his life and he's about to take off on his little shuttle he tells Chewbaca " miss you I will ". So Yoda misses, but Anakin is not allowed to. hm.... interesting. By the way, everyone else knows she's pregnant they just don't know Anakin is the father except for Obi Wan " Anankin is the father isn't he?". The Jedi Council would have kicked him out on his ear and Obi Wan would have given him another 50 minute lecture, and in the end, none of them would have helped the situation but made it worse. In the meantime his nightmares continue.

11. THEFORCEROCKS

THEFORCEROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2004

So when is it ok to kill? Think about what I am asking your first before you answer. The Jedi kill all the time but its "ok" because they kill the bad guys. But, isn't killing wrong? So who's right and who's wrong? The Sith kill everybody so they are
    " politically incorrect" which they should be because its not right. However, I've also been quick to reaize that everyone manipulates this ideaology to their convinience. Anakin kills the separatists 1) becuase Palpy told him to and he had become his new apprentice 2) because he wants to, in his view they are causing the break up of the Republic which is what he is trying to protect. Not only that, but he's had three long years of war because of it being away from his wife and risking his life and he's sick of it.

So he sick of it yet in still he continues to kill umm interesting.

He kills the younglings because they are Jedi's and the Jedi's are now trying to take over the Republic and so therefore they must be stopped. Another bad move on the Jedi's part.

No another bad move on Anakin's part since he loses his wife not worth it if you ask me.

He did what he had to do in order to gain the power to save her. The Jedi could not teach him this. Palpatine was not her political adversary, the Senate was not even aware that he was Sidius or what he was planning.

Well thats not what I read in the novel and yeah Palps and Padme were political adversaries hence her start of the rebellion. The Delegation of 2000.

If they had, they would have gotten rid of him.
    Well they probably couldve if Anakin wouldve killed him like he was suppose to .

Oh, ok, just slowly watch her die. Yeah, that sounds like a great idea. He was appreciating her, he was actively finding a solution to the problem.

Yeah but it was he it was never we that is why he will fail once more. I mean who better else to tell you how to save them than the person youre trying to save.

You still didn't answer the question unless you consider letting her die your answer. " Love can't save you Padme" He was right, it couldn't.

Well considering love saved his murdering A@# in ROTJ yeah love wouldve saved everything and it was the answer hence ROTj.

Trust in her to do what? Die? I don't think he was willing to take that chance.

Well it wasnt up to him and siding with an evil SITH lord and murdering people only decreased his chances not increased them . He gambled and he lost

I like the fact that she tells him that she is not going to die, but she's not the one having the nightmares, the visions. Nor does she have the power of the force and the accurate premonitions that Anakin has.
    No she doesnt have all of those but she has a heart and Anakin shouldve known better, I mean how did slaughtering people make Padme any safer or happier it didnt.

Recall last time this happened, his mother died, he saw her, he was right and she did. HE NEVER FORGAVE HIMSELF.

Well he wont forgive himself again and he wont get the message until ROtj.

On this I halfway agree with you, he had a lot of stresses that had nothing to do with Padme but when it came to her he took it all on. And yes, in his mind it was neccessary because he wanted to save her and his child. That's pretty neccessary to me, saving a life. That's important. Saving the life of someone you love, unquestionable.

Yeah but at the expense of what and what did Anakin hope to accomplish by murdering people and then putting the homage on Padme surely he mustve known that the results werent going to be good and guess what theyre not and he loses once more

Palpy my friend, he's been manipulating everything in Anakin's life since the day he was born. That's simple.

Yeah but people can only manipulate what you allow them to.

12. Grand_Poobah

Jun 24, 2001
    I did watch the movie. And if Anakin ever stopped living his lie and told the Jedi Council that he chooses his marriage over his career, then I must have missed that part.

Even back in AOTC, it was Anakin who came up with the idea that they can still have a relationship, they only need to keep it a secret. And Padme is just as much to blame since she also chooses to live the lie and try to have it both ways. So they both made that decision, fully knowing that the lie "would destroy them," because thay didn't want to sacrifice their ambitions.

Anakin could have chosen the boring domestic life over his quest for power, but he didn't. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, but didn't. At least not in the movie I saw. I saw him chose his new empire over her.

13. JediStarfighter30

May 28, 2005
    " So he sick of it yet in still he continues to kill umm interesting."

He has to, remember Palpy tells him " do what must be done, show no mercy, only then will you be strong enough in the dark side to save Padme". His whole objective was to gain the power of the dark side to save her. If the war had continued he would have been out there even longer, he had already been away from her for three years.

"No another bad move on Anakin's part since he loses his wife not worth it if you ask me. "

Again, you do what must be done, and he did believe that the Jedi were trying to take over the Republic which is exactly what they were going to do. They should not have been involved in politics in the first place. Even Yoda said " to a dark place, this will take us ." Anakin walks in on Mace trying to kill the Chancellor and in the blink of an eye Mace goes against everything that Anakin has been taught in the Jedi code all his life. He's ready to kill him because he say's " he's too dangerous to be left alive" and Anakin argues, " he must stand trial, its not the Jedi way! " and he's right, its not. So here is his mentor breaking all the rules and the council about to take over the Repbulic. So Mace kills but it's " ok" because its a bad guy. So when is it ok to kill? And why is everyone getting on Anakin about it when they are all doing it and twisting it to fit their purposes!

"Well thats not what I read in the novel and yeah Palps and Padme were political adversaries hence her start of the rebellion. The Delegation of 2000. "

The only thing this points to is her being wary of him because she wants democracy and he's slowing moving towards executive powers. That's Padme's fight anyways, she's the Senator, he's the Jedi. I'm sure if he thought for one second that Palpy was trying to take out his wife he would have taken him out first or died trying. Besides, whether he was or wasn't her politcal adversary or not is irrelevant here, he is the ONLY one claiming to have the power to save her. That's what Anakin wanted, that's what Anakin needed.

"Yeah but it was he it was never we that is why he will fail once more. I mean who better else to tell you how to save them than the person youre trying to save. "

Wrong, it was always we. " Love can't save you Padme, only my new powers can", " I will be the most powerful Jedi ever and I did it all for you, to protect you", " We can rule the galaxy together, I can overthrow the Emperor and WE can make things how we want them to be", " We won't have to hide our love anymore." Watch the movie.

"Well considering love saved his murdering A@# in ROTJ yeah love wouldve saved everything and it was the answer hence ROTj. "

Cute, but love can't stop someone from dying, nor can it bring anyone back from the dead. His son saved his life later on but your forgetting an important fact in that, he still died. Became one with the force and came back to the light side yes, but physically, humanly DEAD.

" Well it wasnt up to him and siding with an evil SITH lord and murdering people only decreased his chances not increased them . He gambled and he lost"

Yes, but he did not have the luxury of watching ROTS on dvd and know what was going to happen. He made the best decision he could have at the moment, there was no other choice other than death and he could not let her die. He took a chance yes, there was only one chance, one way. He tried to find it.

" No she doesnt have all of those but she has a heart and Anakin shouldve known better, I mean how did slaughtering people make Padme any safer or happier it didnt. "

No, your right, she wouldn't have liked it but it was what he had to do. The Separatists were causing the war, the Jedi's were trying to take over the Republic and his allegiance was to the Republic, he was ordered to kill them by Palpatine and in his mind he was bringing peace to the galaxy by going after the people that were bringing about the war. Besides, Palpy clearly told him " do what must be done, show no mercy only then will you be strong enough

14. JediStarfighter30

May 28, 2005
    "I did watch the movie. And if Anakin ever stopped living his lie and told the Jedi Council that he chooses his marriage over his career, then I must have missed that part. "

No your right he didn't. But that doesn't mean that he wouldn't have. He wanted to but Padme stopped him. I can't help but think that if she hadn't things might have turned out much differently.

15. AUSSIETROOPER20

AUSSIETROOPER20 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2004
    I think that somehow Padme knew he was some how good, cause when a Jedi is turned to the dark side, they are only 50% jedi, 50% Sith, plus she could have not died but went in a commer, making everyone think she was dead, cause if the heart and brain are still funtinal as they were, then your still alive in a way but only in a comer, cause Anakin didn't chock her really hard, and she had time to bring herself back before heading to the secret asteroid base, plus I think the force made her like this so she could return years later back to life like electra has in daredevil comics, and become very powerful with Jedi powers since she carrys jedi blood, cause in one of the tales of the jedi comics, a jedi was married to a woman and whenthis jedi died, she became a Jedi too.

16. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I would try and save padme but I would not try and do more Evil. It would cause more pain and messirey. Think what happened to Vader.

17. HCfan_

HCfan_ Jedi Youngling

Jun 28, 2005
    Of course Anakin loved Padme.

-Notice that Obi-Wan had said to Padme that he could tell the two were in love.

-If he didn't love her, when she was on Mustafar, he would not have told her that she could rule along side him.

-He didn't want Padme to die. He wanted mostly to save HIMSELF from pain but also save her for her own well being.

-He had anger issues... obviously. On Mustafar, he was mad at Padme because he felt the whole world was against him including the woman he loved.

-At the end, if he hadn't loved Padme, why did he become so angry when he heard that she'd died? I mean- he killed "younglings" and didn't cry about it.

-He said that learning about her pregnancy was the "happiest moment of his life". You usually share your happiest moment with someone you love.

-To that girl quoting bible verses about love: I'm a christian and all but I doubt George was thinking about love as the bible pertains it when producing Star Wars.

-Even through this huge transformation where he pretty much hated everybody including the man who was like his father (Obi-Wan), he was still happy to see her on Mustafar. The only person he didn't hate... hmmm...

-You talk about Anakin/Vader as if they were two different people. Yes, it's like that but technically he is and will always be Anakin Skywalker which means that a part of him will always love Padme.

-When Luke was dying at the foot of the Emperor, Vader stepped in because he had love and compassion for Luke. He couldn't fight it. Which means, if he had love for this son, a piece of him still loved Padme. He couldn't fight that away either.

-When both Padme and Luke say that there is "still good in him", they mean that there is still Anakin in him. There is still the Jedi warrior who loves Padme.

-Why does the dream of Padme dying bother him? Because he loves her.

-Why does Palpatine use the "power to stop the people you love from dying" line on Anakin? Because it'll be the most effective, because Anakin loves Padme.

-Anakin was willing to risk his future as a Jedi in episode 2 in order to have a relationship with her. She would not allow it. In episode 3, he doesn't care if people see because she has become his top priority. Would I be willing to give up on my dream job for a lexus? Me? No.

Overall, I don't know why people are having this argument. Anakin and Padme were in love. When he became Vader, that love became clouded but it was still there. Also in the script, during the scene where Padme is brushing her hair it says: Anakin gazed at his wife LOVINGLY. If you'd like to read the script yourself go to google and type: Starwars Episode 3 Script.

If we really want to settle this- ask George.

18. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    Anakin made a choice. Either sit back and hope his dreams were wrong or become proactive and try to counter that vision. He fell to the darkside exclusively to save Padme. What he didn't expect was all the negative side effects such as uncontrollable rage and jealousy. This is why he choked her, because he didn't trust her with his new dark side guidance. He still loved her though. That was at the core of his being; he just got lost.

Padme knew all this, that's why she sais on her deathbed that there is still good in him. The reason Anakin states he wants more is because of the subtle seeds that have been planted into his ego by Sidious from since he was a boy. Anakin realises they're the wrong feelings though. Sure he sais "Something's happening. I'm not the Jedi I should be, I want more." But that doesn't mean he's saying he should be more powerful. He was saying that he shouldn't have these feelings.

His dream is the catalist for all that happened to him. Padme knows this, moreso than Ben or Yoda, and she told them so.

The funny thing about Episode IV: A New Hope, is that from Ben and Yoda's perspective, Luke is a new hope for the Jedi and the Republic, but from our perspective, we could see it as a new hope for Anakin.

19. Darth_Zanadus

Darth_Zanadus Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2003
    In the ROTJ novelization, the author discusses what Vader/Anakin is thinking about after he kills the Emperor and Luke removes his mask. Basically, it goes like this:

Vader sees the look of horror in his son's face, which makes him feel guilty for his past misdeeds, but he also sees the good in him, which makes him happy become he knows some of that came from him.
    He then starts to think when he was young, striking, heroic, thinks about brotherhood, HIS DEAR WIFE, and Obi-Wan.

HIS DEAR WIFE- I'd say that's a pretty good indication about Anakin's feelings for Padme, especially in that context.

20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Padme loves Anakin so much, that life without him was unbearable and so she lost the will to live.

21. Sekotian_Jedi

Sekotian_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    I think she still did...

During the fueneral scene, the camera goes to great lengths to zoom in on Anakin's old wood carving thing, still held in her hands on that (assumingly) expensive neckless.

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Anakin's problem is that he's too possessive and controling. When Yoda says that he must not miss the one that he cares for, he is telling him that he must mourn them forever. He must not dwell on what may come, since the future is always in motion. Anakin's already acting like she's dead, when she's alive and perfectly healthy. And if she dies, then remember the good from her life. Don't focus on the negative. When Shmi died, he focused on the neagtive, which resulted in his becoming a Sith Lord. He focused on his inability to save her, rather than she died with him and not alone with the Tuskens. Had he followed Yoda's advice, Padme would still be alive.

And when Yoda says that he will miss him, he's refering to missing their company. But he does not dwell on it, like Anakin does. He knows that Tarful and Chewie are still alive. He is not attached to them.

23. KennethMorgan

KennethMorgan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    To paraphrase a line from "Ride the High Country", Padme always knew Anakin loved her; he just forgot it for a while. In a way, it's like Wile E. Coyote trying to kill the Road Runner so he can eat him, but going about it in such a way that it'd all but vaporize the Road Runner, so he couldn't eat him. In the same way, Anakin was going to such extraordinary lengths to save her that he didn't realize that those lengths were ultimately going to destroy his original purpose; she'd never want to live at the cost of a fallen Republic and dead Younglings. Thus, hopped up on Dark Side power and wildly paranoid, he puts his love for her out of his mind, sees her as more of a disobedient possession, and attacks her. It's only after it's all over and he's in the suit that he remembers his goal of saving her and his child(ren). But by that time, it's too late and he's heartbroken over his failure. From that point, it was better for him to just act as though Anakin Skywalker was some other person.

Relating this to Padme, she understood this, somewhow. It was like Ani was a dope addict; she knew that he was good, but his addiction (in this case, to Dark Side power) was blinding him. She knew what he did was utterly wrong and he'd have to face some kind of justice, but she knew he was ill, not evil. She figured if she could get him away from Palpatine and the war and all the rest of it, he'd, for want of a better term, detox and come to his senses. And, for a moment, he might have, until Kenobi chose that moment to butt in and set him off.
    From that point, it's all over for Padme. With Ani no longer responding to her or Kenobi, the Republic gone, the Jedi wiped out, and herself and her babies threatened (she must've figured Palpatine would never allow them to live), she just gave up. I know from experience that, no matter how much you love someone who's going down the wrong path, sometimes you just say to yourself, "I can't do this anymore. I've had it." In most cases, such times only last a moment and your resolve can reassert itself. But with Padme, it was overwhelming. No one, not even her, could've taken it. Add to that the difficulties of the twins' birth, and she gives up to the point of death. To paraphrase Kenobi, she loved him, but she couldn't live without him.

A side point: It seems to me that the major female characters in the films (Padme, Shmi, Aunt Beru, Leia) all have a great sense of love, understanding and strength. I admit that there's a big difference between, say, Beru gently urging Owen to allow Luke to choose his path, and Leia blasting down troopers who threatened those she loves, but all four are favorable and sympathetic characters. Just a thought...

24. JenM512

JenM512 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2005
    Padme will always love Anakin.

I always saw what Anakin did was like taking the ring in Lord of the Rings. You can take the ring thinking you can use the power to help, and because you are a good person, you would never let that kind of power corrupt you. But the minute you take it, it not only corrupts you, you betray your friends and it destroys your soul.

Anakin thought he failed his mother. He never understood that he didn't. He promised he would go back and free her--and he did. Not from slavery, but from the Tusken Raiders. She died in his arms, not alone.

Anakin hadn't done anything wrong--he was a normal kid raised and loved by a mother. He fell in love with Padme. He was going to be a father. But the Jedi philosophy of driving out all attachments made it into something bad, and he hated them for it. There was a great line in the novelization where Obi-Wan tells Anakin that the Jedi were his family. "No, they're YOUR family," Anakin answers.

That was where the Jedi failed him, and how he played right in Palpatine's hands.

Sidious offered him (and I hate to keep using LOTR references) that ring of power, and how could he not take it? It corrupted him, betrayed everything he loved, and destroyed his soul.

Padme loved Anakin. It was what he turned into she turned away from. "You're going down a path I can't follow....because of what you've done, what you plan to do. Come back! I love you!"

I read some reviews of ROTS where they find it hard to believe that Padme could see any good left in him--and it's a good point. But at the same time, Luke had even less of a reason to see it, and he did.

25. henderson

henderson Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2005
    I don't see how. T'was a terrible thing he did, but like they say, love conquers all. But chocking is not as bad as Jen breaking my heart, and then stomping on it like some worthless bug. How can I or anyone ever love again. I love SW and I think GL is a geneous, but this whole thing with Love being able to defeat the Sith. Please, love is just as backstabbing as the Sith.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.