main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Does Rogue One "improve" with multiple viewings?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Unkar's Muffins, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Unkar's Muffins

Unkar's Muffins Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    I've seen Rogue One three times now, and I can say that I appreciate some characters more, or feel like I know them a little deeper, now.

Saw comes to mind. As you see the emotion in his face, and listen to the questions he asks and put it all together, you begin to see how life has been for him, what he has gone through.

I feel like subsequent viewings improves the film, for me.

2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Yes. As with all great movies, multiple viewings deepen our understanding of characters, motivations and plot developments. We familiarize ourselves with all aspects of the film by returning to it and moments that might've seemed bland at first may actually move us deeply after a while.

I've only seen it twice and already on the second viewing, my appreciation for it skyrocketed.

It probably helped that I listened to the soundtrack a number of times in-between viewings ;)

3. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Four times, it gets better with each viewing.

4. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Only seen it twice but yes I think so, especially the first half which I think works much better when you've got a better idea of where its going with characters like Saw rather than bringing in your own expectations of what might happen.

5. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Yes, it does.

6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Has your ranking of the saga changed as a result?

7. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    No, it's the same. But RO is a good movie.

8. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Can't say yet because I already loved the film the first time (and still need to watch it again, multiple times) but my best and longtime SW friend found it enormously underwhelming the first time, yet after the third viewing he confessed that it gets better and better each time.

Maybe it has to with expectations (how much of this or that should be in there) but I think the straightforward story telling and the characters eventually put these expectations to rest.

Unkar's Muffins and Gigoran Monk like this.
  9. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Unlike many of the people in the forum here, I've seen the movie once (yesterday); and I'm completely satisfied with it.

Grievousdude likes this.
  10. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I hope so. I have only seen once, and enjoyed it, but I feel like I need clarification on a couple things. If these things are clear after seeing it again, I think I will have a higher appreciation for the film overall.....

Unkar's Muffins likes this.
  11. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Saw it for the fourth (and for the time being last for a awhile) time ... def not tired of it and yes, for me anyway, it def improved even more each time that I saw it.

12. coolman756

coolman756 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2014
    I don't know. I was so pleasantly surprised with some things in Rogue One that I feel nothing can top this surprise. On the other hand, I feel a bit overwhelmed the first time I see a new Star Wars movie (actually shaking during the crawl of VII... yup totally normal), and during the second viewing I get a bit more objective. So yeah. I don't know. Only time will tell whether or not I like this movie more than when it was released.

You know what I love, though? Attending the premiere with a certain group of friends, THEN seeing it again 2 or 3 days later with ANOTHER group of friends. It's like I can discover the movie a second time by focusing on their reactions and body language.

Unkar's Muffins and Grievousdude like this.
  13. Rancor Keeper

Rancor Keeper Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    I've seen it twice now.

The first viewing benefited from the surprise reveals, the tension of not knowing what was going to happen, the unveiling of the story. That first viewing I didn't really care for the way the first 20 minutes or so was structured, but the rest was slam bang fantastic.

The second viewing I didn't mind those first 20 minutes, it seemed to flow better for me. I was able to catch a lot more nuance of the performances the second time around. I took my 7 year old son the second time and he loved it as well. I was afraid the dark tone and character deaths might be a problem for him, so we had a discussion beforehand, and as usual he surprised me with his passion and sense of wonder for the Star Wars universe. We both had a great time.

14. LibjoNorec

LibjoNorec Jedi Knight

Dec 24, 2015
    I absolutely loved it the first time I saw it. Felt watching it again would only make me notice the flaws and ruin it for me... but nope. Watched it five times, still great.

MarcJordan and Ricardo Funes like this.
  15. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    3 times and I will go watch at least 2 more times.

After the first viewing it was already a 9/10 for me, and the other viewings just confirmed this score.

Multiple viewings are important to pay attention to smaller details, backgrounds, etc.

MarcJordan likes this.
  16. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    Saw it twice. I hear lots of complaints about the first couple of acts of the movie but those are some of my favorite parts! The first time I saw it was Thursday for the opening with a few friends and we just kept jabbing each other and pointing at the screen with all the cool stuff that would pop up and we had a great opening night crowd. The second time I took my son and his friend and I was just able to take the story in and pay more attention and I liked it even more. I think my favorite thing is that it took some Star Wars tropes and turned them on their head. Not only did we get to see the Rebellion have more of a bad side with Cassian and Saw being assassins and extremists respectively, but we got to see that not everyone in the Empire as truly evil with Jyn's dad.

I think I am going to stop there, maybe see it once more before it leaves the theater. I got burnt out pretty quick on TFA and I want to let this movie breathe in my head a little bit before seeing it again. Another note, before taking my son to see it he wanted to watch Revenge of the Sith, and then after we saw it we of course popped in A New Hope. That turned out to be a really cool viewing order and a nice "mini-trilogy" within the saga. Just thought it was interesting how well it tied the old and new together.

BadCane likes this.
  17. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

I know I'll never get it again, but the absolute best experience I had at a theater was when I attended the Special Edition releases of the OT in '97. There was a huge single-movie theater in a nearby town that probably held about 300 people in one room in front of an IMAX-sized (before IMAX) screen. The line to get into the theater wrapped entirely around the parking lot. It was really an awesome sitting in that theater each time a familiar character made his/her first appearance; you get the cheers, ooohs, ahhs that you'd expect.

jaqen likes this.
  18. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I've seen it 3 times and thought it was better each time I saw it, and I really liked it the first time I saw it. For me, some of the jumping around and quick pace in the beginning is much easier to follow after multiple viewings and I was able to appreciate the characters more and felt like I got to know them a little bit better.

19. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Not for me, i watched twice, i like a lot at the first time, same as second, same level, it's not a perfect movie, but have great moments.

20. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    I can't wait to see it again. Hope I have the time to rewatch it until xmas.

21. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    I am going for my second viewing today. My first viewing was 3D and I don't like 3D. The 3D did not enhance the movie so I think I will enjoy myself more without it.

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I've only seen it once so far, but I had absolutely no problems with it in that viewing. Loved it and ended up deciding that it probably ranks 3rd on my SW movie rankings. I'll probably see it again in the next week or so, and maybe again after that as well. And then of course tons of viewings once the Blu-ray comes out. :D

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Upon subsequent viewings, it has gotten much easier to breeze through all of the scenes focused on secondary characters such as Jyn and Cassian and get to the film's hero, Admiral Raddus.

24. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I've seen it twice, and while I thoroughly enjoyed it the first time I found myself enjoying it a lot more the second time!

Star Wars movies tend to be that way for me. Possibly because I can relax and just watch the movie in a way that's hard the first time around.
    I can't be the only one who's a bit nervous everytime I see a new Star Wars film for the first time? :p

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I usually find new things on re-watches. See it once, take time to process things, watch it again to get a better idea of everything. Depending on the crowd, you might miss something as well.
    Need to see how things stick on repeat watchings.
    Even if I pay absolute attention to everything, I will not have the movie 100% memorized after one viewing.

MarcJordan, Avnar and Sarge like this.