main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Does the lack of Dooku's story bother you?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Libs, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Libs

Libs Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 17, 2018
    I ask this because sometimes for me, it does

He had an absolutely legendarry actor to portray him in the movies, he was also the most unique Sith Lord we had in that wasn't a black clad yellow eyed "monster"

His role was clear enough, and his death made sense in Palpatine's grand scheme

But, what was his story? As a kid I always sort of applied the story of Lee's Saruman of someone who was once highly respected by his magical peers but had a jealous thirst for power that made him seek out their universe's equivalent of the Devil

I dunno I never felt I had to know Darth Maul's story as he never made it past his first movie and was never talked about afterwards in either AOTC and ROTS

I also didn't need to know Grievous' anymore than I needed Tarkin's, or Admiral Piett or the guy meeting Vader on DS 2

but Dooku's sort of entered the game as this mysterious is he/isn't he? bad guy, the big twist being that he wasn't just a idealistic rogue Jedi, but a fully fledged Sith Lord and Sidious' right hand man

and then he leaves without ever learning anything more about him.
    We know just enough about him to say he was a good once but not anymore. But not why or how, or even specifically when

whostheBossk and TK-421 Is vader like this.
  2. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Not really. He has more of a story than any other secondary villain in the series.

Erkan12, Darkslayer and ezekiel22x like this.
  3. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I at least wish this scene had not been cut.

heels1785 likes this.
  4. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Nope. Not interested in his back story at all.

lord_sidious_ likes this.
  5. slysnide

slysnide Jedi Padawan

Apr 11, 2015
    I thought Dooku was the most slighted prequel character. Given that the Sepratist movement comes out of nowhere, that we don't know if he became a Sith before or after the Sepratist movement got underway, and that we're left to assume his motives. So yes, I wanted more from him, and had to read lots of Wookieepedia articles to fill in those blanks.

cwustudent and Master_Rebado like this.
  6. boonjj

boonjj Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2016
    Yes. He was the link between jedi, separatists, and sith, and his motivations should have been explored more as they carry sigfiance not just for his character but also those institutions he was a part of (think how anakins struggle relates to dookus, for example).

Grevious should have been severely cut to make way for more dooku. Grefious was basically just there for the action set pieces.

7. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Depends. If Dooku is portrayed as the actual idealist that one can infer from the movies, and is in league with Sidious to destroy the Republic from the inside out with the CIS replacing it, then sure.

However, if he's just the xenophobic, Empire-loving schemer that the ROTS novel and TCW portray him as, then no. Not interested.

8. Libs

Libs Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 17, 2018
    I know what you're saying friend. Though I do enjoy both interpretations of dooku to be honest.

Deliveranze likes this.
  9. Doompup

Doompup Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2017
    Yes, it bothers me. Just a little more of his back story would have gone a long way. I also would have liked some clarification about the Sifo Dyas thing (did Dooku impersonate him? If so, he was Dark Side for about 10 years before AotC).

10. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016
    Yeah, that latter stuff just does not register to me from the movie version. There we can at least infer that he was like his former student who stood apart from the Council in their ideas and wanted to change things for the better even if that meant selling his soul to the Sith. But the whole alien Xenophobe thing and all the rest just makes him feel like a more straightforward mustache twirling bad guy instead and doesn't seem evidenced in the movies themselves, which I do think need to stand on their own. I mean he spends most of his time working with aliens, trained one to be a Jedi Killer, and was mentored by Yoda himself. Like, if they made the Star Wars Story movie about Qui-Gon and Dooku I've always wanted but know will never get made that wouldn't be the characterization I'd prefer to se is all I'm saying! Lol

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  11. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    The EU goes into a lot of detail on Dooku's backstory. So it never bothered me too much.

Deliveranze likes this.
  12. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I liked Dooku just as he was. If I had any complaint, it was that I wish they didn't save him until the end of AotC. I would have liked to see his machinations throughout the film. I also regret that he wasn't referred to as Darth Tyrannous enough.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  13. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Definitely. Dooku feels like the ideal Separatist in the films, though highly misguided. I didn't like finding out in the ROTS novel that he didn't care about the movement and was anticipating the rise of the Empire from the Republic. It could be interesting if Palpatine told him that the Empire would come from the CIS, but the book alludes clearly that Dooku was on Palpatine's scheme the entire time. Makes him just so much less interesting.
    Pretty much. Dooku's backstory isn't particularly relevant in the films. Hell, Anakin's in the OT was far more relevant to the plot, and even that was pretty vague.

If I'm interested in that, I'll just check out some of the Dark Horse comics.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Jedi Knight Fett and Darthman92 like this.
  14. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    It does not bother me whatsoever.

15. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yes because there's a potentially fascinating character buried in there that also works kind of as a "Proto Vader" as well, but the film's just don't go into it because of their "revolving door of villains."

I've said it before, but Dooku being in TPM as a Jedi would have helped. He doesn't need to be there long, maybe just a scene or two and have him talk to Qui Gon (Obi Wan and/or Anakin can be there as well) because again that's a potentially interest dynamic and parallel that isn't really explored, and maybe he also appears at Qui Gon's funeral looking all sad. Basically set up his connections and then build on it.

Essentially Dooku feels like wasted potential imo.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    AOTC had many problems. Dooku wasn't one of them.

17. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Dooku's lack of screentime and not getting much to do was the problem.

cwustudent and Earth Jedi like this.
  18. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    There was no lack of screentime for Dooku in AOTC. He was on one level with Yoda, behind the lead trio of Anakin, Obi Wan and Padme, with more than double the minutes Palpatine had. That's also more screentime than Vader and ~66% more than Tarkin in ANH, as well as 50% more screentime than either Palpatine or Jabba in RotJ and about equal to Krennic in Rogue One.

I don't see how he "didn't do anything either". The movie shows him doing quite a lot.

cwustudent, Tonyg and Deliveranze like this.
  19. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    He took down Obi-Wan and Anakin, and held his own with Yoda, and defeated Obi-Wan again in ROTS. That's more active accomplishment than a lot of villains from the OT and ST.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. Sarlacc of Carkoon

Sarlacc of Carkoon Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 21, 2015
    I guess the film lacked relevancy on Dooku and EU stories had to be added to better understand his intentions/character. I with Ep2. had gone a little deeper regarding the Obi wan-Qui gon-Dooku link as Dooku showed clear affection for Obi-wan in the films. The film was also poor in explaining Dooku's motives on leaving the 'corrupt' Republic.

21. Tal0nkarrde2

Tal0nkarrde2 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2018
    I, for one, would have loved to see more of a backstory for Dooku. The way he just appears in the film as the new apprentice after Maul does annoy me, but we didn't know much about Maul either when he showed up. I think the books did more to explain Dooku's character, but I still would have liked to see more done for this character's storyline.

Gonk Droid likes this.
  22. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    No more than the lack of Tarkin's story bothers me in IV.

23. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Ki-Adi-Mundi tells us all we need to know: "He's a political idealist..."

I enjoy the deleted scene scene where he discusses his motives a bit more with Padme on Geonosis, but all he really adds there is that he thinks the Republic is so corrupt that it can't be saved, and of course he feels that way. It's something I would have liked to have seen retained in the movie in some form, but it's not strictly necessary.

Tonyg and Jedi Princess like this.
  24. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Not at all.

Everything important for the story is in the movie. Some other material shot and cut would have been nice but wasn't really neccessary.

He's there for the Sith, Separatist and Anakin story and is used to near perfection in large part to Lucas' brilliant casting.

Having Christopher Lee is not unlike his friend Peter Cushing. From a visual and performance perspective they bring the character completely alive.

It's great to have this two friends a part of Star Wars villainy where with a few lines and scenes they bring so much.

25. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Nope. After all, his primary purpose was just to be a character that Anakin would kill on his path to the dark side