main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Does The Media Have A Responsibility To Avoid Spoiling Episode VII (and other movies)?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by dolphin, Jun 4, 2014.

?

Does the media have the responsibility to not spoil Episode VII and other movies?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Yes and No

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  4. Undecided

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

Frank T. likes this.
  2. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I voted no, for the same reason I'd say that a reporter who stumbles upon an advance copy of the president's State of the Union address would have no responsibility to avoid reporting on that. If the facts are out there for reporting, it's the reporters' jobs to report them.

I would say, though, that it IS the media's responsibility to report on content that contains spoilers cautiously by letting folks know that there are spoilers contained in the reporting. It's not difficult to include a warning at the beginning of an article or news report that it contains spoilers and those who are looking to avoid spoilers can then avert their eyes. If it's November 2015 and I still don't know the overall plot of the movie, Lord help me if I hear it on CNN or something.

3. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I agree completely. I believe if one truly wants to be spoiler free, then the onus is on that person to stay free and clear.

4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    What does "staying free and clear" look like?

If the media has no obligation to even warn about spoilers, it seems that the only option is to live under a rock.

5. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    No, I'm not saying live under a rock, but you don't have to open the article or story about the new Star Wars movie. You can always change the channel before anything comes on TV. I think the media should warn of potential spoilers, but ultimately it comes down to the individual and how badly they want to be spoiler free as to whether they take the chance by opening or watching something

6. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    What about when articles pop up in my feed with the spoiler in the title? Hell - I have a Google phone, which knows I like Star Wars, and has sent those articles straight to my home page. My Facebook page is even worse. Sure, I can block all posts from those sites, but I can't do that before the damage is done. Am I supposed to keep my phone on the lock screen and avoid social networking (which is my only form of socialization these days) for a year and a half?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    I'm a big hockey fan and DVR all the games since I work nights. I've made it two consecutive seasons without being spoiled on the outcomes of the games. If I can block it all out for nearly 200 games, I think someone can block out every bit of news they want to avoid being spoiled about Episode VII.

Frank T. likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't know why it's so hard to keep spoilers out of the headlines.

Put spoilers in the articles with a warning, which will make those who want spoilers happy, and keep those of us who don't want them happy as well. Win-win.

But they choose to give a "**** you, go live under a rock if you don't like spoilers" instead.

I have been fairly successful with blocking spoilerific articles from my Facebook from hiding certain feeds, but Google does they to personalize its experience by automatically sending articles it thinks you'll like. Is BBYD supposed to pretend he doesn't like Star Wars because of certain media hounds determined to behave like a bunch of middle school girls gossiping in a restroom?

9. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000

Ah, but how long do you have to wait before you watch that hockey game? A day? Maybe two? Then your life goes back to normal. It's easy to block out social media and other internet stuff for a few hours until you can get home and watch the game. Not so easy for me to block out everything for 452 days. Go two seasons without learning details of a single hockey game or player - then we'll talk about easy.
    On top of all of that, the score of a hockey game (which has got to be, what, the fourth most watched sport in America?) is definitely less news-worthy than spoilers about the most anticipated movie sequel of all time. I'm sure you've got your hockey sites and fan pages - which probably send things like the score to whatever feeds you have. You could turn those off. But what if some random news source - not typically known for hockey, started reporting hockey scores? You wouldn't be able to avoid them until after it was too late. I've had to unfollow IGN, comicbooknews, and several other smaller sites, because they threw a Star Wars headline with a spoiler in the title straight into my face in some form or other. Hell - I can't even visit the tfn front page! I can choose to hermit, or I get pummeled with spoilers. So yeah, I think the media has some responsibility to me. They can have all the clickbait they want, but don't spoil it right in the headline.

10. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    It's the media's job to report on news worthy stories. You cannot expect the media to not do it's job just because you don't want to be spoiled. You obviously wanted all the Star Wars news you could get or you wouldn't have signed up for all those sites. But now that you don't want to know about the upcoming movies, you expect these media outlets to suddenly change for those of you who don't want to be spoiled? Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. Which means it puts the onus on you to not be spoiled. If you're fully capable of finding all the news you had been craving, you're completely capable of ignoring it. It would be no different if you were out somewhere and someone you didn't know suddenly started talking about Episode VII to someone they were with. Should that person ask everyone around him or her if anyone doesn't want to be spoiled before they tell their friend? No, it's up to you to walk away to not hear it.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Since when does "newsworthy stories" always equal "spoilers"?

There is official information that we will discuss in this forum that does not involve revealing, say, a major death in a headline.

Journalism has really gone downhill if reporters and editors think they aren't getting a major story unless they behave like the National Enquirer.

And as I said, Google doesn't work the way you described, it's not about "signing up for feeds". Google actually takes comments from GMail and uses it to "personalize your experience."

It's far more ridiculous to ask a Google user to never mention Star Wars in an e-mail for a year and a half than it is to ask the mainstream media to behave like the New York Times as opposed to Star or the Daily Mail.

12. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000

If you have a method for ignoring spoilers in the headline of a post that pops up on my Facebook page (because it'll pop up on my feed without me even following the page sometimes,) I would LOVE to hear it. If your only advice is "just don't look," then you haven't read any of our complaints. I shouldn't have to revert to the 1980s just because journalism today is so ADD that the only way for me to avoid their aggressive clickbait is to simply disconnect myself from the world. Yes, it is a media outlet's jobs to generate clicks - but responsible journalists can do that without putting the spoiler in the freaking headline.

To your analogy, "it's up to you to walk away and not hear it," that's exactly my point - I can't unsee something I've already seen. If two people are walking down the street talking about a movie I haven't seen, you're damn right I would speak up and ask them to give me a chance to walk away before they spoiled anything. I can't do that with aggressive marketing, because I don't see the sites until they've already popped up. In your analogy, it'd be like two people jumping out of the bushes and yelling "Darth Vader is resurrected in Episode VII!" when they've been waiting for me all day because they've been following me around enough to know that I like Star Wars and they're hoping to sell me something. The chances of me hearing something in the wild are so insignificant that I don't even stop to think about them. I've already had what I consider four pretty major spoilers thrust in my face by irresponsible ADD attention-starved "journalists." The rights of your fist end at the tip of my nose.

13. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I think a lot of folks are angry at spoilers, and I think 'content purveyors' (the sites with the requisite clickbait) are becoming aware of that. I saw a strange "here be spoilers" thing about Game of Thrones on the "trending topics" on Facebook earlier tonight. I ask the same things you do: No spoilerish headlines or pictures! Plenty of people would click on a Star Wars logo picture promising spoilerific information...I just want the right not to know.

Official information on the other hand...especially provided by the director's production company...yes I stopped right there EHT!

dolphin, Darth Darkstarr and EHT like this.
  14. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I don't think the media has a responsibility to not post spoilery material, but it does make me sad that some people legitimately want to know everything about this movie, and that people inside the production are actually giving away these things. Some of the rumors floating around today (which I haven't read, but I've seen the headlines) actually caused me to finally convert to the NSA forum, and it just makes me saddened that people would dig this stuff out rather than just waiting for the movie. And once those leaks are out, the media can't help by pick it up and run with it. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they don't report on it. That being said, I do think they should be mindful of not putting spoilers in headlines (or images that appear next to the headline). Firstly, it's not like they need the hits, people will click on anything that says "Star Wars 7", and secondly, as TheYodaPagoda said, we have the right not to know. And as someone who visits a lot of movie sites because I'm as much of a cinephile as I am a Star Wars fan, it's hugely aggravating to get spoiled just by checking the front page.

dolphin and TheYodaPagoda like this.
  15. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Bolded statement 1: You're so right. It pisses me off just reading that analogy. Very true.

Bolded statement 2: Do you recall who these 'journalists' are by chance?

I have fought a losing battle with willfully avoiding spoilers but am at the point where I want to go dark. It's so much better to not know anything. I do envy those who have avoided spoilers. I do think that this sites front-page does a good job of giving people the option to avoid spoilers. Like I said, for me it hasn't been easy but I'm committed to steering clear.

16. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    As far as the media is concerned, it's almost impossible to stop anyone nowadays from revealing what's coming out. If it ain't one news media, it'll be someone else. Time is money, and money is what it's all about.

17. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    I've already had to unfollow a couple of SW blogs I followed on Twitter because they weren't very discrete with the headlines of their posts that contained spoilers. If you want to write about/post spoilers, that's fine, but at least be courteous and don't just throw it right in people's faces like that.

Runjedirun likes this.
  18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    So just curious, have you made the full-time switch over to NSA at this point?

19. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    I think so. I read one rumor too many for my liking and want to keep the slate clean (as much as I can within my control) moving forward. I'll still pop into 7SA GIL from time to time to say hello to everyone there, but the other threads I'm going to try to avoid like the plague.

EHT likes this.
  20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    An apt description. :p

DarthWilliams likes this.