main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does the PT have merit as a standalone trilogy?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by NorCalBirdz, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    Obviously the PT will never be viewed as a standalone trilogy by any generation, but hypothetically how do you think it would work out. It would probably be the ultimate "bad guys win" ending to any movie ever.

2. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I honestly don't think the PT would fare well at all as a stand-alone trilogy. :p As much as I love Star Wars, in some respects, the PT is somewhat of an embarrassment to Star Wars.

3. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Hell yeah. After reading RotS, this thing sure is a tragedy. I think of it as ESB on steroids and heroine, mixed.

EDIT: Oh now that's pretty harsh. I wouldn't call it an embarrassment. The SE is much more of an embarassment... IMO.

4. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    :p Sorry if it's harsh.

Haha, I love the SE. I don't think they're bad at all. I mean, if Greedo shooting first is going to ruin Star Wars for you, that's pretty sad.

5. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    After reading RotS, this thing sure is a tragedy.

I hope you mean tragedy in the sense that it is very sad, not as an adjective for saying that the PT was bad. Because after reading ROTS, IMO and as much as I think that Star Wars should only be viewed as a Saga and not as two separate trilogies...

...I think the PT is better than the OT.

(prepares to be flamed and beaten)

6. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    LOL, no negativity towards RotS at all. Gosh, we really need to lower our guns around here and relax... little tense, eh?

Yes, Greedo shooting first makes no sense and drags me out of the film. Is that not supposed to happen? C'mon GL screwed up there and he knows it. The PT lacks the charm and basic fun elements of the OT, which isn't a flaw, but doesn't help me find it entertaining. Jokes fall flat. The human cast is so boring to watch at times. It's like that, but embarrassing the originals? I can agree with that from the perspective of one who really enjoyed seeing shaw's ghost form at the end of RotJ. :p And the boba fett stuff that was changed. And threepio being built by Anakin. And midichlorians. But that's it. Oh and Anakin being such a jerk. OOops, forgot about jar jar. add him to the list. Also the fact that GL is probably still going to add more things from the PT into the OT to make the saga more 'complete'

7. mrfootball

mrfootball Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 14, 2005
    we'll have to wait and see rots

8. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    Most movies it's ALWAYS the good guy's win.
    The PT, the villans finaly get there chance to shine and win in the end
    [face_devil]

9. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    ^ That's why RotS > Hollywood :p

EDIT: Oh now that's pretty harsh. I wouldn't call it an embarrassment. The SE is much more of an embarassment... IMO.

I think you mean the DVD version :p

10. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    Does the PT have merit as a standalone trilogy?

Not until ROTS comes out. And that will almost be a 'to be continued' movie so...

I'm going to say a very very shakey yes.

It's not really a stand alone trilogy as it is an addition to a story. You don't need the PT to fully understand and enjoy the OT, but you need the OT to do so with the PT.

11. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    Norcalbirdz:

do you think that the OT is a standalone trilogy? In the OT you have basically two movies where the good guys win and obviously it has a sense of closure. Maybe cause we learn a little of the backstory in the OT we get the finality; so it can be a standalone trilogy.

Now in the PT..that's a good question. We are starting from the beginning and it is obviously gonna end on a downer. We all know there is another trilogy that follows this; so we kinda off accept the ending.

Hypotheticallly speaking; if there was no OT trilogy. I think it would be difficult to see the PT as a standalone. I think the biggest reason would be...the what happens afterword? In ROTJ; the empire is defeated and good wins. In ROTS, the empire is being born and suited vader appears..the audience is left with ..so what happens now? bad triumps over evil? I don't think many people would accept that. Maybe us SW fans; but the average moviegoer wouldn't like that. I don't think so anyway..

thoughts?

12. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    With the PT...while it will be seen as a segmented trilogy from the OT, I don't think it can stand alone only in that sense that it leaves the audience with no resolution. At the end of ROTS, the bad guys win, Anakin becomes Darth Vader, the empire takes over, and all of our heroes are forced into reclusive hiding. No audience is going to be willing to accept something so dark and bleak as their ending. The OT works because it presents a conflict, builds it up, climaxes, then winds down into a fairly conclusive, well-rounded ending. So, no, I don't think the PT can stand on its own.

In this way, I think ANH and TPM are really the only two Star Wars films that can barely make it as stand-alone movies.

13. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    No I don't think the PT or OT for that matter has merit as a stanalone trilogy. If you have just the OT there is a huge gap of information missing and if you have just the PT and makes you wonder about what's going to happen next.

14. Avid_Prequels_Fan

Avid_Prequels_Fan Jedi Master star 2

Sep 14, 2003
    You took the words right out of my mouth I swear. Very well put! That is exactly right. They both complete each other because it truly is one saga.

"No I don't think the PT or OT for that matter has merit as a stanalone trilogy. If you have just the OT there is a huge gap of information missing and if you have just the PT and makes you wonder about what's going to happen next."
    - Grand Moff Kevin

15. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.