main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Domhnall Gleeson (General Hux) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    go on.;)

2. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014

I'll link you to what I posted in the Pip thread so as not to derail: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/pip-andersen-in-episode-vii.50021500/page-9#post-51856486

starocean90 likes this.
  3. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

He's "third" most likely because he was the lone young white male at the table read which leads to hopes from many for many months that he is playing Luke's son. You can make an argument he is the second most popular of the new cast because there has been almost next-to-nothing in terms of news and rules to go by regarding Gleeson and yet his thread page count has always remained close to Boyega's.

Revanfan1 and Lurknomore like this.
  4. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Yep guys, to be honest, assuming he is the third lead right now is closer than ever to wishful thinking. Right now Luke´s character looks miles away from having a family, based on the rumors. If there really is a third lead (which we know we are, but right now Ridley and Boyega seem to be the spot light compared to the third lead), I would bet my money Gleeson is not the one.

Dewback and sterling3763 like this.
  5. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    He may indeed not have had to be in London at all, yet he was.

The announcement was a big deal and Lucasfilm/Disney - they weren't announcing bit characters like masked bounty hunters and minor politicians.

You separated the open call actors from the rest of the announced actors which you labeled as major players. This indicated that you do not consider the open call actors to be major players but consider the rest of the announced actors to be major players. Even actors who were not at the script read or were announced later. Since you and I know that not every announced actor is a lead, that means you consider some supporting actors in the major players category. So now by saying you do not consider Clarke and Andersen's roles to be insignificant, it places them in a very strange and elusive spot which makes one wonder why they are where they are in your reasoning.[/quote]

That wasn't my intention, but I do see why you thought that - I had "major players, open cast call and the prize winner." - the fault for your misunderstanding lies with me as I phrased it badly. ;)

What I meant was that the cast announcements were limited to the big announcement, the Thomas/Rachel characters - that any other actors would not have significant roles and will not be getting official announcements - , and the charity prize winner, for obvious reasons.

I counted Lupita and Christie as part of the "major playlers/big announcement" simply because they will be, but I said earlier, I just thing that Gleeson a bigger role - that it is between him and Issac to be in the new Big 3, if Driver really is a villain (If Driver is a Solo, that may well be out the window too ;))

No, my feeling is that Clarke and Anderson will be important, but not as much as Gleeson, Issac or Von Sydow.

I don't know the significance of him being white, but there is still Issac and Driver.

The new Big 3, could just as easily be be two heroes and a villain, or two heroes and a shifty criminal type, or one of each.

Everything we've got is more or less "wishful thinking".

It is the best we can do. ;)

6. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    how much?

7. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Let´s say a good gin tonic. One with Brockman´s and Feber Tree.

8. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I don't think it's Gleeson either.

My money is on Driver or most likely Isaac (who I still think might be Lando's kid or at least fills that role somehow or other (protege/ whatever).

9. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I'll take that bet. I'll go with Tanqueray Ten.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  10. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    I´d go for Driver too. With Isaac playing a strong supporting role. Although I suspect is Luke and Daisy are what they are lately rumored, probably Driver dies at the end of VII. I expect one of the new face to die.

11. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I think Driver probably is one of the villains. I'm still not sure that was him in the Greenham pic.

TheBBP likes this.
  12. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    I think he will be the third lead even being the villain. Just a guess, although he was listed third in the cast reveal.

13. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    It's natural that he's popular. Of the remaining new cast members at the table read, he most resembles Luke's potential offspring, particularly with Mara Jade.

Personally, I think he looks a lot like General Madine. [​IMG]

Knessa84 , Revanfan1 and Abadacus like this.
  14. Varinnia

Varinnia Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 15, 2014
    Dom's a great actor if you can play all the characters [face_laugh]

starocean90 likes this.
  15. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

Oliver Ford Davies, the guy that played Sio Bibble, got seventh billing and was one of eleven actors to attend the script read for TPM. The same number which attended the Episode 7 script read.

These were the 11 actors who attended the TPM script read.

Ewan McGregor - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Natalie Portman - Queen Amidala
    Jake Lloyd - Anakin Skywalker
    Ian McDiarmid - Senator Palpatine
    Pernilla August - Shmi Skywalker
    Oliver Ford Davies - Sio Bibble
    Hugh Quarshie - Captain Panaka
    Ahmed Best - Jar Jar Binks
    Andy Secombe - Watto
    Silas Carson - Nute Gunray and Ki-Adi-Mundi
    Dhruv Chanchani - Kitster

Leaving out

Liam Neeson - Qui-Gon Jinn
    Anthony Daniels - C-3PO
    Kenny Baker - R2-D2
    Frank Oz - Yoda
    Terence Stamp - Chancellor Valorum
    Brian Blessed - Boss Nass
    Ray Park - Darth Maul
    Lewis Macleod - Sebulba
    Warwick Davis - Wald
    Steve Speirs - Captain Tarpals
    Jerome Blake - Rune Haako and Mas Amedda
    Alan Ruscoe - Daultay Dofine and Plo Koon
    Ralph Brown - Ric Olie
    Samuel L. Jackson - Mace Windu
    etc

Episode 7

Mark Hamill
    Harrison Ford
    Carrie Fisher
    Anthony Daniels
    Peter Mayhew
    Daisy Ridley
    John Boyega
    Adam Driver
    Oscar Isaac
    Domhnall Gleeson
    Andy Serkis

Leaving out...

Kenny Baker
    Max von Sydow

Gwendoline Christie
    Lupita Nyong'o

Pip Andersen
    Crystal Clarke

Now obviously not everything will match up perfectly in terms of number of characters and role sizes and it's obvious why some actors were not at the script reads, but it gives some perspective to the idea that Gleeson could easily be playing someone as important as Sio Bibble just as much as he can be playing the next Obi-Wan Kenobi or Kitster.

TheBBP and Lurknomore like this.
  16. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    I wonder if anyone in the cast will play more than one role, however small.

17. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Andy Serkis is a very likely one for that.

18. coxie0520

coxie0520 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 17, 2014

Now that you mention it, the resemblance is uncanny [face_hypnotized]

[​IMG]

:p

19. aleja2

aleja2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2005
    And here's why he's probably playing a character of some importance - if not in this film, then in the next two:

Gleeson is currently very hot. He's been given his pick of cool, interesting film roles, including leading and headlining roles. His next film has him starring alongside Tom Hardy and Leonardo DiCaprio. No offense to Oliver Ford Davies or Hugh Quarshie, but Gleeson is in a completely different place, careerwise.

Actors know being hot and in demand does not last forever, and they employ agents and managers to help them manage their careers so it extends as long as possible. Also, he's done the "play a small role in a giant fan-favorite franchise to jumpstart a career" thing with Harry Potter and he doesn't need to do it again.

To take a role in SW - one that stops him from taking a role in another film at a time when he's an in-demand actor - it would need to be a pretty substantial offer, either moneywise or careerwise. Otherwise, he's stopping the forward motion of what is shaping up to be a good career, and it's hard to restart momentum once it's lost.

So I'm putting my money on Gleeson having a meaningful role - even if his screen time might not be substantial in this film.

Immortiss, T-R-, Revanfan1 and 5 others like this.
  20. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    If he is Luke's son, I picture him meeting Ridley and Boyega during their "search for Luke" as a rather unassuming and unthreatening young man who helps them out of a jam. He introduces himself simply as "Ben" (echoing ANH and making EU fans start to murmur with excitment). He seems to know more than he's letting on, and there's some mistrust at first, but he plays a crucial role in the gang safely reaching Skellig (becoming close friends along the way), where he eventually reveals himself as "Ben Skywalker", Luke's son, apprentice, and Daisy's cousin.
    I don't like the idea of the Skywalker and Solo kids growing up without knowing each other, but it seems like it might be that or no Skywalker kids at all at this point and that's how I might do it.

21. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I was just going to say that just because he could be a bit player in this one doesn't mean he won't be a big player in the last two films.

T-R-, Revanfan1 and TheBBP like this.
  22. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

Lupita Nyong'o just won an Academy Award, yet she has a part in this film. Is she too playing a substantial role in this film that is equal to Daisy Ridley, Domhnall Gleeson, John Boyega, Adam Driver, Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Oscar Isaac, and Carrie Fisher? If she's playing a role the size of Captain Panaka or Watto, somebody better tell her she just killed her career. ;)

I'm just playing devils advocate. When someone says Clarke and Andersen have minor roles, I say it might not be true. If someone says Gleeson and Sydow have major roles, I say it might not be true.

Like Samuel L. Jackson his role could be smaller in this film and expanded upon in the next one. Or it could go the opposite way like Ahmed Best or Pernilla August. But I think speculation about his role can go from Luke's son to a quirky space pirate.

WatTamborWoo likes this.
  23. kanan katarn

kanan katarn Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 4, 2014
    what gives me hope (even though everyone has signed NDAs) is that gleeson said in an interview something about how he cant say much about his character because it would give away the whole movie or something along those lines. makes me think if not a skywalker then at least an important part

aleja2, Revanfan1, coxie0520 and 2 others like this.
  24. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Not being privy to any insider knowledge, I couldn't possibly state whether this is even close to what we'll actually see in theaters next year.

But I will say this much: Your description is almost word-for-word exactly what I hope to see happen in Episode VII (well, that, and no 'Luke is an evil cyborg' weird stuff).

25. Varinnia

Varinnia Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 15, 2014
    Not exactly what I expect.

But I love it ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.