main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Don't be afraid to post...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by jodiwent, Nov 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    ... your story. Even if you don't get any responces at first, or you think it is not as good as someone else's.

I don't really know why I started this thread. Okay maybe I do [face_devil]

I have five stories going on the fan fic stories board and one compleated, and I still get 'bummed' when I read thing in threads like 'What is your biggest turn off when reading a fan-fic'. Yet I can't seem to stop reading them.

I don't want to bring names into it but one of my favorite authors (Who I know has a big following) does just what a few people were complaining about. I do it too :) Not that people shouldn't have thier oppinions, but like they say, that is why they make vanilla, chocolate, and strawbery.

My point, some people may not like your style, that doesn't mean you shouldn't post it. This is a good place to develope a style as well.

I just hope that no one reads threads like that and gets discouraged or changes their style because of it.

I love J.C. Because it is a message board. Anyone can post. You don't need to get the stamp of approval from anyone else. You may get negitive feed back, but that is different.

I guess this is really just a pep talk to myself, but I don't want others to be afraid to post over on the story board.

* Pep talk and ranting transmition over *

2. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    jodi, this is a very good idea to post a thread like this. I was reading that big turn off thread and thought wow, I do so many of those things.

Thank you so much for putting up this thread and giving us all a pep talk.

Am [face_love]

3. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Jodi, you're absolutely right!

We don't need a stamp of approval from anybody else before we post. Readers should also take into consideration that none of here are professionals, that we're all progressing as writers at different rates, and that we all have different talents and strengths. We're also annoyed by different things. If we banned all the threads featuring any of those turn-offs listed on that thread, there wouldn't be any stories left to read!

Go ahead and post, people!

And for those of you who habitually lurk, you might want to think about stepping forward and giving your favourite authors some encouragement. You never know, it might be the difference between that author ending the story, happy in the knowledge that someone is reading, or giving up and feeling worthless because there are no replies.

4. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Hey everyone!

Before I started writing fanfic, I worked as a tutor in the writing center at my high school. Things I told the kids there were to be taken primarily as suggestions, not as instructions. The same thing goes for threads like the biggest turn-off thread. That's a place where you can get suggestions for your writing. Following those suggestions won't guarantee you a huge following, nor will not following those suggestions doom your fic to the oblivion of the locked threads in the basement of the fanfic board. And remember, you can't please everyone, so don't even try.

So, to sum it up, read those threads, but take it with a grain of salt. If you're really concerned about the quality of your writing, get a beta reader. Write the way you want to write. You'll be happier, and we'll be happier, because we as readers can tell if you're forcing a style. Let the story flow the way you envision it.

Mel

5. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Ditto to all of the above. I mean, I have turn offs in fics, but what turns me off turns other people on! Like she said, there's vanilla, chocolate, strawberry...

Don't let fear keep you from doing what you love and sharing it with others!

--Renata
    (probably guilty of some of the turn-offs, but doesn't care and posts anyway...)

6. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    I agree with y'all. At least I know there are 3 people who like me ;)

7. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Post, post, post!

Once you start, the sky's the limit! :)

And remember, everyone has to start at the bottom and work up, even the best writers. :D

Best of luck everyone and enjoy your time posting in the JC's fan fiction forum :D

8. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Whiskey in the Jar-Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 17, 2000
    You're absolutely right, Jodi.

I started out just throwing something out there to see if anyone would even say 'hmmm' or 'ok, this sucks, go away.' At that point, I would have taken any response from anyone.

Over time, I started to gain a small following of people, but even six threads later, it's still small. But, I'm thankful for what I've got.

9. Casper_Knightshade

Casper_Knightshade Force Ghost star 6

Oct 18, 2000
    Same here and all the above. I write because I can and will. Yeah, like everyone else here I would like a large captive audience but realistically I know that won't happen be it my writing style, subject, length, etc.

But you know what? I don't care. I wouldn't change anything I say or do, and that includes my writing and reading habits. I LOVE variety. Granted, I'm not amused with all the Ani/Ami fics or JA fics, but on occasion I read them, I like them, and I let people know. Some folks assume that since I write dark and spooky that that is all I like. Not so; make me laugh, make me cry, make me think, make me sigh; the most creative stories are the most original, and that means they don't look the same.

The FanFic boards ARE NOT the Community boards: that means this is not a place to really to create a thread that is for 'dislikes'; I like to think this place is troll free or flame resistant. Not saying such threads here are like that, but there just seems to be on a level of intolerance that rubs me wrong.

There's folks here, though, that think others stories should follow THEIR template. That's what I call Board Politics: folks trying to control the situation of content on the boards when they have no power to actually do so. It's wrong: no one's creativity shouldn't be strangled by these 'turn off' threads.

Encourage the writers! Be there! Don't let some thread or some nimrod who doesn't understand storytelling tell you how to write a fic. This is your life in these fics sometimes: are you going to tell folks how to run your life?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.