main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Don't Cross The Streams! The Ghostbusters Franchise (Afterlife, Frozen Empire)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 28, 2014.

1. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    From Wikipedia:
    When supernatural debunker Dr. Martin Heiss (Bill Murray) demands proof of the Ghostbusters' claims, Gilbert (who resents being labelled as insane or a liar) releases the ghost from containment, and it throws Heiss out a window before escaping.

Diggy likes this.
  2. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    So....well.....LOL.....that was a waste of money!!!!

Basically what I had feared, a Paul Feig Ghostbusters movie. Liked Thor, Mckinnon and Jones, and that was pretty much it.

Cameo's sucked.

I chuckled a few times. That was it. Story and villain sucked. I don't know, there were only like 10 people in the theatre, maybe the larger crowd would have helped the jokes land for me.

Not for me. That's it.

3. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Saw it. The one provocative complexity I experienced was the Charles Dance Princeton comment, which I if it was a joke, I didn't get it. One early review gave an interpretation of this Princeton comment that was suitably simple, with least moving parts.

The other provocative complexity I experienced was two instances where this film fell into an identical trap that TFA fell into in the domain of proportionate representation of comic relief.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ghostbusters: Answer the Call- (which might actually be the full title based on the end credits). Though not as good as the original films (primarily due to a weaker villain and (maybe) an overuse of the original theme song), it's still a funny movie (McKinnon steals the show) that tries to do new things with the property (even if they don't always succeed). It lacks the true horror and doom of the first film but does at least keep the grotesque ghouls & ghosts designs, with a couple creepy visuals mixed in.

I'd classify it as being a less-sarcastic Ghostbusters II- if GB2 didn't have Bill Murray or Viggo in it (you just get a less flamboyant Janosz as your villain, effectively) and had a weaker soundtrack.

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I saw it earlier. Pretty good and funny. The comedy is always spot on, although I predict not everyone will be thrilled but the replacement of Murray-esque dry humor by gross-out jokes, buy hey: they land most of the time. The cameos (Murray excepted, as he actually plays a character) were kind of distracting, and the final battle was kind of meh, but I'm still glad I watched it.

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm still not going to see this, because I hate women.

7. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Interesting theatre reactions I'm seeing.

People love it.

People want their money back after seeing it.

Did I mention there was a walk out and apparently someone fell asleep in my theatre.

8. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I can understand the sentiment. I had two aspirations growing up. I wanted to be either an X-Wing pilot or a ghostbuster. Bill Murray's sardonic wit had a huge influence on me as a child. However given his infamous disdain for being typecast as a Ghostbuster I just assumed that Bill Murray being a skeptic was a knowing wink, while killing him off was something similar to Harrison Ford in TFA.

"I'll turn up in this movie, but I don't want to be asked about any more blasted sequels. You have to kill me off."

9. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    This movie sort of plays like TFA. It's the same basic premise and hits all of the same notes as its predecessor, but it does it in a unique enough way that it doesn't feel like a complete retread. But it also shares some of the same problems I had with TFA.

The pacing is breakneck. There's no time or moment that the movie really slows down to get to know the characters, except for one monologue from Wiig that's about 30 seconds. Other than that the action is constant and unrelenting. Nothing really has time to build or gestate, so the jokes are funny, and there are some spooky moments, but they're quickly whisked away. The tone never really has a chance to settle on one thing or another (which is something, I think, that Ghostbusters II actually manages to do better than the original) .

My other problem is something that I have a problem with in most movies: threat escalation and massive, bloated finales. Here, they bust a couple of ghosts, and suddenly they're saving the world from a massive threat. In Ghostbusters 1984 that threat, I felt, was earned. There's a buildup of the team making a name for themselves with a classic 80s montage (not that I'm asking for a montage here), busting all manner of ghosts and ghouls. The mystery unfolds more slowly. Then, when they are faced with that insurmountable threat (which they've had time to build up and reflect upon), they don't simply brute force their hordes of ghosts, they have to rely on a desperate last ditch suicide attempt at victory, and it works out. Like I said, this is a problem of the modern blockbuster, not so much this movie in isolation, so it's more just a product of its time, but I really wish we could get more insular stories (Like Dredd). At least for the first outing.

There's nowhere near the fixation on juvenile humor that the internet has been complaining about, so I'm not sure what that is (because they show the crotch shot in the trailer? I dunno, I just expect most of those people haven't or won't see it, so it doesn't matter). Sure, it is in there, but there is plenty of everything else, as well. There's no mistaking Paul Feig, though (so if you think that's a detraction I guess you don't care for some of the best comedies of the last decade).

So, ok. This movie is funny. The entire cast is great. I don't think the cameos were jarring. The villain was a weak point (and has been reading Elliot Rodger's manifesto). Ultimately, this isn't exactly what I would have wanted from a Ghostbusters movie (I'd prefer something smaller scale, and more focused) but all of the pieces work. The ending is over the top, but I think that's what we're in for with any studio project from now on (thanks James Cameron!).

Also, it definitely had to be a reboot. I'm sorry if you are one of those people that really wanted a "passing the torch" movie. This works way better.

10. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    46 million at the BO. Which was the mid-way expectation.

146 million budget. Second place finish. No longer part of the public discussion. Film will need to make in the network of about 500 million to actually be considered a hit. That's worldwide.

11. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    It's underperforming, given its budget. Sony is saying they still intend to make a sequel, but we'll see how long that talk lasts.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's a little early to tell- Feig's films tend to have decent legs even when they're not well received. Next week has Bourne & Trek battling it out so GBATC is going to be the primary comedy and primary female-targeting film for the weekend so it could get by as counter programming.

13. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    What I'm really curious about is whether it performs similarly.

14. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Next week will tell the tale.

15. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    If it performs like Bridesmaids in terms of multiplier (which seems overly optimistic), you're looking at around $300m, which is still not great, considering the budget.

16. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's not nearly as bad as when TDKR had a lower RT rating causing some of the hardcore Nolan fanbase to dish out death threats towards the film critics. This was all before the film was even released.

ShaneP likes this.
  18. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Quick, tell Roeper about that!

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
  21. AllyoftheForce

AllyoftheForce Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2016
    She should stop responding to those people immediately, she's giving them what they want.

22. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah maybe after reporting them.

23. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

I feel bad for her because these people got very nasty and personal over a movie that was one of two things for her:

1) Just a job with a decent pay cheque.
    2) A passion project where she gets to live the dream of being a ghostbuster.

Thanks for acting as the self appointed protector of our collective childhoods internet nerds...

[​IMG]

24. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

She left twitter over it. She became the focus of net nerds ire. Unfair and not right, especially the pictures and names thrown at her.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Librarians are already talking about using what happened to her as a call to emphasize good digital citizenship.

But, the problem is not ignorance about how to behave on the Internet. The problem is ***holes who choose not to behave on the Internet.

Now if their employers got hold of those tweets, or if potential dates did, and there were consequences beyond getting banned from Twitter, we could talk about digital citizenship and be taken seriously.