main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Don't Cross The Streams! The Ghostbusters Franchise (Afterlife, Frozen Empire)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 28, 2014.

1. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    GBATC IT IS! So says me!

I find it fitting that the "dumb hunk male secretary" out shone all the "sassy smart female Heros" in this flick.

A great day for oppressed hunks everywhere!

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I wouldn't say he outshines them- he had a few funny bits but
    the transition to him as a villain
    was one of the poorest parts of the film (his motivation for being in that moment having no prior setup) and he was hit or miss after that point (but better than the other guy, granted).

3. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Uhhhhh. I think he was being controlled by the villain.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Thats what I'm referring to. He suddenly is all "hey, I can be a Ghostbuster, I'll show you!" without any setup just so he can be in that place with a random motorcycle to be taken over and escape.

Darth Basin likes this.
  5. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Well if no Motorcycle, I'm sure he just will steal a car.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The form of transportation doesn't really matter, it's the lack of narrative setup to that moment.

Darth Basin likes this.
  7. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Why is that scene make you angry? He works there, he is expected there. The lead villain needed a body and picked his?

8. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    I liked the movie largely for the reason I thought I'd like the movie. Kate McKinnon. I love that she had cartoon Egon's hair. The movie was pretty okay, certainly it didn't destroy anyone's childhood. It was never going to top the original because that's impossible, but I think it's generally better than GB2. I had fun, and will be picking it up on Blu Ray eventually. I was actually pleasantly surprised that it wasn't nearly as much a retread of the original story as it could have been. Sure, a couple story beats, like most sequels to films tend to have (Star Wars, clearly), but overall, it didn't try too hard to be the original. It did its own thing and that was commendable.

Darth Basin likes this.
  9. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    You buy movies on bluray even when you think they're just okay? I need your disposable income.

Darth Basin likes this.
  10. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    I'm 6 figured!

11. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    You should get a tattoo of that post across your forehead.

Darth Basin likes this.
  12. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    It's nice being in the 9% :D

And it's true. The more $ you make, the move you hate the poor. $ changes you.

13. DenOfEarth

DenOfEarth Jedi Knight

Jan 27, 2013
    Ghostbusters never needed to be continued in film. They couldn't get a cast reunion together outside the video game and after Harold Ramis died any idea about a third film should have been put to rest. They had plenty of material to work with the franchise in other mediums. It didn't need saving as a film franchise. It left enough of a legacy as a pop culture icon of the 80s to stay as a two film series. The problem is film studios are too greedy for their own good and think that established franchise films coming back hold some kind of guaranteed profit margins based on brand name alone. Nobody is smart enough to look at a brand like Ghostbusters and properly and efficiently determine the best ways to utilize it based on the fanbase and the legacy it holds.

Look at Back to the future as an example of utilizing the brand in ways that don't mess with the legacy it left. They show enormous respect to their fanbase coming out with different merchandise and apparel and media over the years even comics to fanfiction. They know you can't recreate the magic they had so they let the franchise live on through the fans love of the trilogy. Ghostbusters did so well with the video game. They gave their fans something so authentic and respectful to the films that it's such a shame they had to go the route they did for GB2016 in order to bank off its name. No respect, no love, no passion for a beloved property. Completely shameful.

I am very thankful the new film flopped at the box-office and how it killed the franchise and sometimes it's better to kill something then let it suffer. This franchise is now like a wounded half-dead animal since the Real GBs ended and nothing else good has came out in the last 25 years with the exception of the 2009 video game and the merchandise and comics by IDW, no movies since then and other games during the years have sucked and Extreme GBs was okish and this remake flopped at the box-office.

You just can't recapture the same lightning in a bottle like the original as the original focused on a brilliant mature intelligent script and reminded how well crafted it is a supernatural fantasy comedy adventure with horror trimmings, a solid cast of talented comedy actors who are given just enough space to subtly give wit around without undermining the world of the story. Has an edge to it in the original as the original is what i call great filmmaking.

The new version hits some viewers in the face with painfully forced juvenile Sandler (modern Sandler mind you)-esque humor, a poorly written unfunny script, poor pacing and plus no passion but money grab is. Plus none of the edge of the original movie and a lame villain who lacks the menace of Gozer and Viggo. This shows what 80's and 90's comedy did right, and what some modern comedy is doing wrong. Not to mention shooting the logo in the dick as a bad guy which is an insult to the franchise and there is no passion in this remake and just a cash-grab made by Sony. I have a few female friends who thought this remake was poorly written, sexist towards men as one of my lady friends said it's an unfunny insult to women with such man hating agenda and well i enjoyed a few of Feig's movies, i felt he was the wrong guy for this project and even he didn't want to do it at first but he had to for the paycheck and he felt out of his comfort zone as R-rated films is what he is good at and not big budget PG-13 films as after this flopped, he should go back to original stuff.

Hollywood needs to focus on making good films and focus on the new franchises like Jack Reacher, Bourne, John Wick, Marvel Studios etc. not digging up some dead favorite franchises and desperately sucking the dried up blood of the corpses into some focus-group approved poorly written piece of junk. Ghostbusters is best left alone. They should had made Ghostbusters 3 years ago like in the 90's, and now that Harold Ramis is dead so has Ghostbusters.

I hope some people here will understand what i am saying as the world has moved on and some franchises need to be dead and left alone only for the memory of the original to be seen/loved/watched by everyone for years to come on what quality filmmaking is all about and that i am right with my truth about why some series should be left alone as some would and not to recycle some past glories as we moved on and need some fresh new things for current film.

Sometimes dead is better like Jud Crandall in Pet Sematary would say and the franchise died with Harold Ramis.

Darth Basin likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  15. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Lots of chatter in the movies thread about Ghostbusters, so I searched and found this old gem.

Ghostbusters 3

What we know so far:
    • Jason Reitman to direct and produce new Ghostbusters film like his father before him.
    • Release date: 2020
    • Takes place after the events of the first two movies (1984 & 1989).
    • Via twitter, Aykroyd and Hudson expressed interest in returning
    • Latest tidbit: THR’s Borys Kit reports the new Ghostbusters will star the next generation of paranormal investigators: four teens, two boys and two girls.
    There's a teaser, but it just shows the car so google it if you want.

Who's excited?

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  16. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Only if it's real

and only if Rick Moranis returns

Otherwise...

17. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    They got a talking dog too?
    [​IMG]

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    They've got a green ghost, who loves to eat food.

[​IMG]

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I want Annie Potts back too. She was hilarious.

juday and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  20. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I want to see if Yanosh is Tommy Wiseau's long lost relative. This question requires an answer.

AutumnLight91 likes this.
  21. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    My reaction is who ****ing gives a **** go back to selling your crystal skull vodka and talkin 'bout aliens, Dan.

22. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and DebonaireNerd like this.
  23. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    In fact, surely, with Dan being the savvy business man he is, Tommy would have to be SOMEWHERE in this? Maybe in the second music montage where all hell is breaking lose? Come on now.

24. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Well Leslie Jones has finally weighed in on the recent news. I'd post the tweet but it had several words from the naughty list.

It wasn't pretty. Comparisons to Trump were made.

25. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Given the amount of racist and sexist online abuse she was subjected to over the reboot, I can understand why she feels this particular move is a slap in the face.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.