main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Don't Cross The Streams! The Ghostbusters Franchise (Afterlife, Frozen Empire)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 28, 2014.

1. Tia

Tia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2022
    wonder if they'd meet with an ageing Jaonsz in the 'upper vest side'

2. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Tia Peter MacNicol as Janosz is so underrated. 'Soon it will be midnight and the city will be mine and Vigo's. Well, mainly Vigo's."

3. Tia

Tia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2022
    "everything you're doing is bad...I want you to know this"

4. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Ghostbusters 2 is gangbusters.

There, I said it.

@ me haters.

S. Raw Rats, Sarge, PCCViking and 2 others like this.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It has its moments. Can't compare to the first one, but, hey, what can?

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Interesting. Earlier rumors were that the film would be going international, to use the different settings as a way to continue to differentiate these sequels. But, obviously, they were teasing a return to NYC at the end of Afterlife. So, maybe it's a bit of both? Start in NYC, follow the trail to jolly old London?

Reitman did suggest that the sequel to Afterlife would deal with more elements from GB2. Those plans could have changed as the script developed and/or the new director came on board, however.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    Tia likes this.
  7. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Interesting to see some pics of the cast on set this week in London - Paul Rudd, Ernie Hudson and....... William Atherton too.

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    The first teaser trailer for Ghostbusters 4 is out tomorrow.

9. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Haven't we suffered enough?|

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  10. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Kill it with fire.

11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    You know, you could just ignore it if you aren't interested.

12. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Ghostbusters is one of my favorite movies of all time. I saw it six times in the theater. If somebody wants to make a movie that captures the greatness of the first Ghostbusters they should make a movie that isn't another Ghostbusters sequel. I didn't hate any of the sequels. I've seen worse but none of them were especially great.

13. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    You could just ignore my post if you don't like it.

14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I'm less tired of Ghostbusters movies than I am of Paul Rudd.

15. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    And here we are:

Looks fun.

16. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Ghostbusters vs. The Day After Tomorrow.

The NY setting definitely gives it a more traditional GB vibe, though obviously it doesn't look good.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2023
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I wouldn't say it looks fun- that's a quality that is missing in the tone of the trailer, IMO. But it is selling a unique premise and new visuals for the franchise (ie: they're not going back to Stay Puft, Terror Dogs or Gozer, etc). And that thumbnail visual of the firehouse sign lit up in the frozen dusk is quite striking.

But it is a teaser- they can save the gags for the next trailer. The horror premise they'll be set against is ultimately more important (so long as they maintain the dry sense of humor that Afterlife successfully carried forward).

darth-sinister, Sarge and PCCViking like this.
  18. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Did it? I know it wasn't exactly a flop, probably had a decent life after theaters, but it didn't really make much of an impression on anyone as far as I know. I found it boring, not scary and not funny, though better than the previous effort.

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You're tired of CoBro?

20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i can't remember the last thing i saw with paul rudd. thought he disappeared. then again i won't be watching this either, so maybe he's just been picking bad movies.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I was also going to say that I thought the subtitle was a little awkward and out of place- then, doh! I got it. Ok, Empire State, Empire City, NYC. Ok, that's a little clever, actually. Still, :oops:on my part.

I meant more to the style of the humor it was carrying forward from the original films. The really dry, grounded sarcasm that prevented the GB films from getting too silly and becoming an outright comedy (and, yes, I understand that nature of the original GB films is debatable). Afterlife wasn't as funny as the first two films, sure (different dynamics and objectives)- but the humor was there (and I thought worked pretty well).

And, more to the point of that style of humor being more compatible with the franchise, since Afterlife did that (and FE will presumably match that), it avoids an incompatible humor style detracting from things like the slapstick approach did with ATC. And, so, since the style of humor isn't a concern, that's where the supernatural threat/premise is free to be the primary concern.

S. Raw Rats, Sarge and darth-sinister like this.
  22. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    "A slap in da face, mon.... a slap in da face." -- Paul Rudd

Bor Mullet and FatBurt like this.
  23. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Bleh. I'll wait until it's available on streaming or Redbox to watch.

24. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I’m cautiously optimistic. Back in NYC, a (presumably) new villain, new cast with actors who have proven themselves in their past work, and the mix of deadpan doom humor give me some hope. My biggest wish for this would be the original cast having a little more than a supporting role as they did in Afterlife, but not at the expense of further fleshing out the new and newer characters.

Sarge and PCCViking like this.
  25. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The trailer needed Billy Murray saying "Slimer, we're home" as both entered Ghostbusters headquarters.

Doesn't it feel like whoever cut this trailer cut the first TFA trailer?

Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.