main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V Dooku: Jedi Lost, a stand-alone original audio drama

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Mar 27, 2019.

1. ForScience

ForScience Jedi Padawan

Apr 8, 2019
    I got with free with an audible trial and I enjoyed it. I listend to it on a long road trip and it helped passed the time. I just wonder why they didn't use Corey Burton for Dooku, the voice they had was kinda bad, but I got used to it after a while.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  2. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I’m on Ch 7. It’s really good and I like the premises and Asajj in it. I’m surprised I like the guy playing Dooku, but I prefer Burton. I’m love the voices for Yoda and Asajj.

I’m confused about the term ‘Initiates’.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  3. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Initiates are Jedi children who are not yet Padawans.

4. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    But the term is ‘youngling’, right? And eventually in a later chapter I heard that.

5. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    "youngling" is basically a species-neutral way of saying "child".
    "Initiate" is the rank of a Jedi before they are selected as a Padawan.

6. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Ok. It’s new to me. But it doesn’t contradict canon and now is canon.

I finished Chapter 11 out of 30. They may have discovered the planet of the visions of Sifo Dyas. I do love the chemistry between Dooku Serreno and his best friend. And I like this version of Dooku better than the EU version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    So is Dooku his first name or does he have another first name or is he like Cher with only one name

8. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I said it on a previous page, but as far as I can tell most Serenians only have one first name, and a house name, which is basically a political faction tied by blood.
    In casual conversation nobody brings up your house name, there is no "Dooku Serenno" technically. At very least he is never called that.

He is Dooku of House Serenno.

9. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Dooku is his first name and he’s of the house of Serenno. The closest real world comparison I can think of is like the British royal family. They’re of the house of Windsor, but they’re generally known only by their titles/first names (Queen Elizabeth, Prince Harry, Count Dooku). That being said, the new royal baby is named Archie Mountbatten-Windsor. His cousins, also theoretically Mountbatten-Windsors, use the last name Cambridge as their father’s title is Prince William, Duke of Cambridge.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  10. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    It actually makes more sense for the story to take place before AOTC since the way that they were talking about the Separatist Movement it made it sound like it hadn't really started yet. Also, Jenza wouldn't have wanted to bring him back to the Jedi if he had already betrayed them during the Battle of Geonosis.

SilentGuy66 and FS26 like this.
  11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    When Prince Harry was serving in the military I believe he used Harry Windsor as his name (no Prince).

AusStig likes this.
  12. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Right.

On Chapter 15 now. Dooku at his mother’s funeral.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  13. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Don’t mean to stack, but no one has posted long after I last posted.

Finished it. That was brilliant and very imaginative. My only experience with EU Dooku was when he was a padawan, got into trouble for getting caught with Sith lore, losing his best friend, and being a cold bastard from then on. His padawan (Jinn or pre-Jinn?) stops him from giving into the dark side. And the book in which he communicates to Yoda that he wants to give up, then tempts Yoda to the Dark Side, and then flees as incoming is supposed to take out Yoda. And the book that leads into ROTS and the comic in which he recruited Jango.

I really like this Dooku better than EU Dooku. Of course, Dooku for me is Christopher Lee and Corey Burton, but I think this drama knocked it out of the park. I loved how we see Dooku from Asajj’s POV. She only wanted love. The guy who enslaved her, Kai, Dooku, Talzin, Vos, all were relationships with older people to be her parent, this baby who was enslaved.

This Dooku is compassionate and loving, has a sense of humor. The writing for and performance of Jinn was my favorite section. Their chemistry was great. And Jinn playing the fool in the sabacc sequence. Well, no actual sabacc. A pity. Also, the Good Cop/Bad Cop sequence was excellent.

Also loved the Lost 19? sequence.

I grew to like the voice actor for Dooku. Yoda was great. And the cameo by Palpatine was perfect.

It’s great that Dooku was Yoda’s actual padawan, not some idiotic retcon as in the EU.

And again, balance isn’t using the light and dark sides. Maybe for Bendu, but not Jedi. We see this in Morris, what was previously the last episode of TCW, the cave in TESB, and Rey’s first lesson in TLJ. Walk in the light and be aware of the dark, balance. This is comparable to the Taijing of Daoism and Neo-Confucianism, the Trinity and Unity of Christianity and Hinduism. And apparently the Prime Jedi knee this but the PT Jedi didn’t. Dooku mentions he sees the Living Force in Yoda, but IIRC wasn’t a disciple of the Living Force at that time. Dooku taught it Jinn who apparently taught it to Yoda.

I’ll listen again, but I do hope there are eventually a book version and a comic version.

And there must be 2 more audiobooks coming. One of Dooku becoming a Knight and his eventually becoming a Master, the other of Dooku becoming the apprentice of the Hooded Man. And I want to learn more of his discovery of the Living Force, as well his interest in the Sith and their survival before he meets Sidious.

14. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    As discussed on pages 5-6 of this thread, this was only done to preserve continuity between ROTJ and AOTC--
    [​IMG]
    As it was, later on canon in TCW made a fix by having Obi-Wan officially declare that he does not blame Yoda for Dooku's fall, to preserve continuity with ROTJ.

You don't agree with how Jude Watson and the other LFL people in charge of Legacy of the Jedi, where Thame appeared, handled the fix, and that's a legitimate concern and your right. But please don't insult their fixes as "idiotic" when they were doing their best to create a cohesive universe for all of us. It's unfair to them and the efforts they made to create some very good work enjoyed by others, even if you yourself are not a fan.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    AusStig likes this.
  15. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    If you're really looking for facepalm-worthy retcons regarding Dooku you can't go past him fighting Obi-Wan and co. like a dozen times during TCW tv series when AOTC and ROTS clearly imply that they didn't cross paths in that period.

16. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Yeah, there's really no good fix for this at all.

17. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I mean, that's one of those "well, it's not literally stated, so we can futz it just this once" things which then led to "well, I guess it could have been twice" and then "I guess there's no reason it couldn't have happened all the time" until it became silly... and had its opposite side in the "Anakin can't fight Grievous" thing where the narrative had to tie itself in knots to avoid that happening.

18. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Speaking of weird continuity lapses. I remember reading an EU Republic comic where Mace Windu says something along the lines of "If I'd have killed Dooku on Geonisis in that arena the war would have ended there, now though I sense that killing Dooku will make no difference to stopping the war"

Fast forward to ROTS, Anakin kills Dooku and suddenly all they have to do is kill Grievous and the war will be over!

Sturm Antilles likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That's an easy one.

Kill Dooku, when war has not really started, with no momentum, it works.

Kill Dooku mid-war, the war continues, the tactical droids would still continue it, other leaders can take over.

ROTS has a decapitation of the leadership strategy being pursued, but it's three years later and at that point, the Separatist armies and resources have been ground down enough that it's feasible. Nor was it just taking out Greivous, without Anakin's slaughter of the remaining Separatist leaders the entire thing could have started up again.

comradepitrovsky and KyleKartan like this.
  20. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    Yeah I was going to say this. It's not simply a matter of "kill so-and-so leading the seperatists and the war is over" regardless of the situation. The whole
    "kill Grievous to end the war" in ROTS was because of the where the war was at, at that point.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    And as SilentGuy points out, killing Dooku didn't end the war, because Grievous just assumed leadership. Killing him and the Separatist Council would probably have ended it had Palpatine not had other plans in the works. Certainly shutting down the Droid Armies brought an actual end.

22. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    . . . because it was a completely different stage of the war. Of course killing Dooku at Geonosis and killing him in ROTS wouldn't have the exact same outcome. It's certainly not a continuity lapse.

23. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I've never understood why this mild retcon, if you can even call it that, presents such a stumbling block to some fans. It's a tradeoff you have to accept in a franchise where stories are inserted retroactively into the timeline -- sometimes those stories have to creatively circumvent restrictions laid down by previous stories in order to facilitate the storytelling. Star Wars has been doing that since at least ESB, and it's hardly unique among franchises in doing so.

As you suggest, the alternative was to construct narratives even more convoluted than they already were. Instead of criticizing how often Anakin and Dooku dueled, fans would be criticizing the increasingly absurd lengths the show would have to go to to keep Anakin from encountering either of the show's major villains. Is that really a better option? Does that make it a better show? What is the opportunity cost of strict continuity?

IMO going to extremes simply to preserve the original meaning of that line of dialog from ROTS would have been sillier than any number of Anakin vs. Dooku battles. As I've said in the past, if the price of six seasons of great TCW stories is handwaving a line in ROTS to give it a slightly different meaning than was originally intended when the line was written, then handwaving it shall be!

24. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Yeah, I generally agree. And it is pretty much inevitable with the insertion of that much material. I think the biggest effect is, yes, we know the general outcome (as we did with the prequels) but there's a lot that can happen... but when the narrative walks up to certain lines in the sand, even if they're just predicated on one line of dialogue (bearing in mind that for a characters like Dooku and Grievous, there's not that much dialogue from or about them, so what we do know carries a bit more weight than it should), the whole "insertion" thing calls more attention to itself than it does otherwise.

It's not a big problem for me, and stuff like Anakin having a padawan is not a problem at all for me. It just brought an occasional eyeroll. Early on the show seemed set to be much more anthology-esque than focused on Anakin and Obi-Wan so I didn't expect it to happen quite as much as it did.

The Positive Fan likes this.
  25. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    Who says it's a stumbling block? It's just the way it is. I'm the one who brought it up here, and it doesn't lessen my enjoyment of the films or TCW tv series. It's just a bit of a funny "cringe" moment.

The Positive Fan likes this.