main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V Dooku: Jedi Lost, a stand-alone original audio drama

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Mar 27, 2019.

1. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    You better head back inside, Audible mostly comes out at night. Mostly.

Sturm Antilles likes this.
  2. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    There's a behind-the-scenes look at Jedi Lost on today's Star Wars Show, with some footage of a few of the actors delivering lines from the book.

Dooku sounds... young, which might indicate how far back into his past we're going.

3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think most of takes place under the apprenticeship of master Yoda and how their relationship grew over the decades.

4. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Thame Cerulian, alas, seems permanently consigned to Legends. Legends fans will just have to dream up their own scenario on how Thame Cerulian met an early death and Yoda had to finish out Legends Dooku's training.

5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Yoda is his only master and always has been thankfully. No this one Legends fanfic master. I bet Yoda is the who found and discovered him.

6. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Legends isn't fan fiction. It was the canon Star Wars Expanded Universe until 2014. Thame Cerullian being Dooku's master was an official canon thing from 2003 to 2014. So, no, Yoda has not "always" been Dooku's only master, no matter how you slice it. You shouldn't call things you don't like fanfic. Calling an officially licensed story fanfic is just a way to delegitimize something. I'm sure the movies-only nerds consider the post-2014 "canon" novels to be just much fan fiction as the pre-2014 stuff.

7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    attack of the clones came out in 2002 and in that movie he was Dooku's master and then legends tried contradict it. But movie comes first and he was Doooku's master. Maybe fanfic a little harsh but i don't for a second belive George tough of any other then Yoda as dooku's master. What is in the movies is what the canon should follow in bth new canon and in legends.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  8. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Taken from: http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/1879.html . In short, Episode 2 contradicted 6 already. Legends was following the implications of 6. Hard to say what is violating canon in a situation where the canon contradicted itself.

A counter-argument would be that the new canon is violating 6 by making Yoda Dooku's sole master.

An apprenticeship where Thame died early and Yoda finished Dooku's training was actually the best compromise.

The canon contradiction is back now that the Legends fix has presumably been discarded.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    those are not exactly contradictions more like easy retcons.

10. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I thought the idea was supposed to be that Yoda was everyone's master? He teaches them all while they're younglings and then later on they go off for one-on-one apprenticeship with a different Knight or Master. That's the impression I got from AOTC, anyway.

11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I always took it that he was Yoda's last true padawan until Luke showed up. He says in AOTC my old padawan. He dosen't say that unless they had a close relationship like a mentor - apprentice relationship. TWC confirms of their status.

12. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Its not an easy retcon. What did obi wan mean in his statement in rotj then? What is your retcon explanation ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Obi wan has his ponts of veiw that we are all familiar by now. so it could be as easy as that.

14. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    If it's not explained in any work, even a New Canon one, that's just a fan theory and not internally consistent within the SW universe.

To create a fan theory to prop up a New Canon inconsistency and then state that the New Canon is truer to the films doesn't make sense. To dismiss Legends as fanfic and then create fanfic, not even published anywhere, to prove New Canon's quality doesn't make sense.

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    okay, but i don't see the contradiction of Obi wan in ep vi. The new canon has been true to the movie canon while movie canon and legends differ alot ways. maybe there's a little contradiction in prequels but nothing that can't be explained. Yoda being Dooku's apprentice is a fact and TWC they mention of him being with Yoda as just a little Padawan.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  16. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Here's the contradiction--
    Obi-Wan: Anakin was a good friend. When I first knew him, your father was already a great pilot. But I was amazed how strongly the Force was with him. I took it upon myself to train him as a Jedi. I thought that I could instruct him just as well as Yoda. I was wrong.

Obi-Wan felt he could instruct Anakin as well as Yoda and followed through on the promise to Qui-Gon. Why would Obi-Wan feel he was wrong? Both Yoda's apprentice Dooku and Obi-Wan's apprentice Anakin turned to the dark side.

The comparison makes no sense when Dooku turned to the dark side too. Obi-Wan would not say he "was wrong" about training Anakin as well as Yoda would have unless Yoda had a flawless training record.

By adding a dark side student to Yoda's career, Obi-Wan's statement makes no sense. It cannot be explained purely by Canon works.

By Legends adding Thame, even if only at the beginning of Dooku's training, Yoda can be both Dooku's master (towards the end after Thame is gone), yet also not be blamed for Dooku's fall because he didn't supervise the entire apprenticeship. Obi-Wan can genuinely say he didn't train Anakin as well as Yoda would have because Yoda would have supervised Anakin's entire apprenticeship, not just at the end like he did for Dooku.

In Legends, Dooku was padawan to both Thame and Yoda. Legacy of the Jedi confirms Dooku was Thame's padawan in the beginning, and 'Most Precious Weapon' confirms Dooku was Yoda's padawan towards the end.

While the circumstances of Thame's death are never explained in detail, Legends makes it very clear in Most Precious Weapon that Dooku was indeed Yoda's padawan towards the end.

Dr. Steve Brule and Daneira like this.
  17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I don't see that as a contradiction, Yoda was after all arrogant and alot of hubris in the prequels and before that to might. Yoda only got wiser towards th end and in his exile. Obi wan might not know of Dooku's fall in a deleted scene in AOTC he asks the librarian of Dooku and says he dosen't know mutch about him. I doub't he learn of his fall during the war. in the Yoda arc we get a sense of their relationship and in the dream Yoda had of all jedi alive, Dooku said of an adventure he and Yoda had as a youngling on Kashyyyk.

18. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    By the time Obi-Wan said his line as a ghost to Luke in Return of the Jedi, he very much knew of Dooku's fall to the Dark Side, having fought in multiple battles against him throughout the Clone Wars as seen in Episode 2, multiple TCW episodes, and Episode 3.

Dr. Steve Brule and Daneira like this.
  19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Maybe so but Dooku was always intrested in dark relics like the sith and in this new canon he seems to be force chocking force lighting enemies as a jedi. Maybe Kenobi tought of he as lost couse waiting to be on fire.

20. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Dooku using electric judgment as a jedi in canon would still be after his apprenticeship with yoda.

For obi wan to clear yoda of blame, he would need evidence that early teen/pre teen Dooku was already bad. New canon has yet to provide anything regarding Obi-Wan being aware of an evil kid Dooku.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Yeah, i guess. I think Dooku being like Anakin as somewhat reckless. He was intrested in the sith and lore and maybe Yoda cound't dissuade him from his dark impulses. Yoda in the prequels is one of the most arrogant jedi so i think he get a pass if it was beyond his control. Qui gon put his trust in Yoda and i think Obi wan does so to.

22. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    There is nothing in Canon that indicates Obi-Wan knew anything about a hopeless cause kid Dooku that would absolve Yoda from blame.

No offense, but this post strikes me as a fan theory. A fan theory cannot be created to then prove New Canon's quality over Legends.

As it is now: Legends has an explanation for the contradiction. New Canon does not.

Maybe New Canon will eventually provide an explanation (maybe even in this very audio drama), but as of today it has none.

To say Legends is fanfic because it tried to resolve a movie discrepancy and then create another unpublished fanfic to make a claim that New Canon actually addresses this contradiction (when it does not) doesn't make sense.

23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    There's nothing to say he knows of his fall either. And movie canon of dooku's master vs legends is bigger contardiction. We know from both ATOC and TWC that he was Yoda's apprentice since he was a youngling. Anything other then Yoda being his one and only master will be contradiction of the the canon.

24. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Obi-Wan was aware of Dooku's fall since Dooku captured him on Geonosis and definitely after he saw Dooku use Force lightning and a red lightsaber in Episode 2.
    Please provide a source, Canon or Legends, that definitively confirms Dooku's unbroken continuity of training from youngling to knighthood by Yoda alone. As far as I know (and I read and watch lot of Star Wars, and saw every single episode of TCW) there is none.

Sinrebirth and Daneira like this.
  25. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Your acronyms keep going wrong:p