main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers & Blasters Dooku sabre hilt?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Patriotspride, Nov 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patriotspride

Patriotspride Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2003
    Has any one made a dookoo hilt? if so how did you do the bend at the end of the hilt? Ive been trying to use plumbing fixtures without much luck.

S_S edit: unlocking

2. Full_Body_Asajj

Full_Body_Asajj Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 18, 2003
    I used tubing from HOme Depot. Its an inch or inch and a quarter. I put it into a 1 1/4 pipe (handle).

I made a prototype, which disappeared in NYC. Damn.

Good luck!

3. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    Depending on whether you're going to use one pipe or two. You could use two pipes and get an angled coupler to join them, but that would involve a fair amount of re-finishing to fill in and smooth out the gap left behind. You could use a single piece and bend it by heating it up first. If you go here you'll be able to get a rough idea of where to make the bends. As far as how much of an angle to make the bend, that I can't help you with.

4. Chris Knight

Chris Knight TFN Humor Staff star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    I tried making one in time for Celebration II a year and a half or so ago. Was able to make the emitter-guard with a belt grinder and even bend the tube to the right angle. Those were relatively easy to do with the right tools, it's everything else that became a major headache. Am now reconsidering how to do it and hope to have it ready for Celebration III :)

5. Master_Byrd

Master_Byrd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    There's a website devoted to custom saber called Luuke's Sabers... check out the contest entries for some; I'm sure I've seen some. Their e-mail is below their entry, they'd be the best source for advice since they've already made one. Here's the website...

6. Patriotspride

Patriotspride Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2003
    Well i think im going to try using to pipes first and if it dosent work right ill heat the pipes with a heat gun

7. SithLordBryJaTomarr

SithLordBryJaTomarr Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2002
    You should click here for the best Hardware Dooku sabre.

8. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Bumping in response to recent query.

9. darthcalibar

darthcalibar Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2005
    ok, well my thread got locked and i was told to post here so here it goes (again) i am planning on making a count dooku hardware saber, and i know on the RPF there was a great tutorial using bondo, pvc, some bike grips and other things but i cant find it, and they arent excepting any new members til dec. 1, so i cant post there. so if anyone has this tutorial, or any info relating to it that would be a big help. thank you

10. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    There was a recent inquirey, as to that the Dooku saber may originally started from a weed whacker. I believe there was no actual evidence towards this though.

11. Enzerumo

Enzerumo Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2005
    a mini dooku hilt i made out of pure bordom
    [image=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b398/Enzerumo/minidooku.jpg]

and a quick twist of the hand the blade is gone
    [image=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b398/Enzerumo/minidooku2.jpg]

12. darthcalibar

Jun 25, 2005
    well i got the tutorial i was looking for, and now all i need is a good reference pic i can scale up to size. if anyone has a pic that shows the covertec button or anything else i can use to scale that would be great. thank you!

13. JediKnightGareth

JediKnightGareth Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2005
    Actualy I can see that I was looking at my friends electric weedeater the other dat and the butt where you plug th extension cord is angled almost perfectly for the job.... If only he didn'y NEED the weedeater....

14. Dawn

Dawn Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2002
    Why not buy the same weedwhacker (used perhaps?) that he has and use that. Or, buy him a new one in exchange for that :)

15. LATOPADEYOR

LATOPADEYOR Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 20, 2005
    All you need to do is use a piece of automotive exhaust pipe in the diameter that you want and the bend radius that you want. Get a cheap aluminized piece and paint it up, or get a nice stainless or chrome piece....there are alot of nice tail pieces and extentions that look very nice. Then adorn it as necessary and Bob's your father's brother.

16. JediKnightGareth

Apr 21, 2005
    Actually dawn I have gotten quite lucky.I spoke with said friend not too long after I made that post. He has purchased a Gas trimmer and I am contemplating how to cut up the old machiene as we speek.

17. darthcalibar

Jun 25, 2005
    once again, any refrence shots, measurements, or anything? i tried the sitharchives and that was kinda a dead end.

PS: anyone who wants the tutorial i mentioned ill email it to you if you want.

18. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    You guys this is rumored I read it on rpf, it was a possible lead on the original "prototype" if you will for the saber, the real one was most likely machined.
    I'm just saying this so no one goes on a wil goose hunt looking for the right brand when it may not exist.:p
    That being said I have an old weed whacker that'd I'd like to modify into one, as soon as I finally cast my sid of course.:)

I'll look for the thread on it, I suppose if you combine a weed whacker base with a dooku tutorial you may be able to get amazing results.

19. JediKnightGareth

Apr 21, 2005
    Hmmm.. I'm looking at some ref pics and... does it look like the blade pong thingy is in danger of being burned off by the Beam to anyone else?

20. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Correct it is, in fact the stunt hilts used in the movie actually had that piece bent out of the way of the stunt blade, which is alse one of the reasons MR hasn't really thought about an EL of this saber.

21. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=96410&hl=dooku
    ^This is the thread I was referring to^
    It says how an ILM guy said that one piece was indeed a FOUND piece, most likely for the proto type of the saber.
    - Let the hunt begin.

22. JediKnightGareth

Apr 21, 2005
    Well I shall take photos as I work and post here. Coolies?

23. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Definately I'll examine the weed whacker tomm and see if its a good start, best part is the lawn mower broke down maybe I can salvage some of those parts and see if they look like anything on any saber.:p

24. BRYAN_SEECRETS

BRYAN_SEECRETS Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2005
    [image=http://starwars.wikicities.com/images/0/0d/Mr_dooku_saber.jpg]
    I'm also interested in making this Dooku curved saber hilt, and I've got a reference image above. Does anyone have a tutorial on making this hilt, or have attempted to build it before?

25. Nardo

Nardo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2006
    Has anyone ever tried taking a MR vader hilt and retro-fitting it slightly for a curved dooku hilt? It is really for an asajj costume, so it could be wrapped with leather straps. Just wondering if anyone tried this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.