main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Doomsday

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Vortigern99, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    I saw this movie last night, and it struck me as a re-hash of Escape from New York meets The Road Warrior meets Army of Darkness (but not as wacky and without the sorcery). Oh, and did I mention it's ultra-violent and unbelievably brutal? All in all a well-made little piece of sci-fi/action badassery, with guts and gore and attitude to spare.

My head is still reeling from all the quick edits. [face_hypnotized] Just how many angles does it take to show a single sword-blow being delivered to a dodging target? This movie's answer: 19.

2. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I had a buddy visit this week who saw it.

he said it was the best film he's seen in years.

I can't bring myself to part with the money to even attempt it based on the trailers.

I'm afraid I may have to lower my confidence in my friends opinion as a result.[face_sick]

to each their own...i truly believe that.

but the "best film in years"?

terrifying, if so.

3. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    It was extremely entertaining, if you like this kind of thing. Some of the violence is a bit squirm-inducing, and some of the dialogue and over-the-top events make you roll your eyes, but overall it was loads of fun. I recommend seeing it will several people who like these kinds of movies.

4. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    I thought it was a bad re-hash of The Road Warrior...but that's just me. It put me to sleep, and I dropped my popcorn...a drag of a movie-going experience all-around.

Perhaps my expectations were too high...because I loved the director's previous film, The Descent. This movie comes nowhere near the brilliance of that one.

5. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I've been meaning to see it. I'm glad to hear that it is a pretty decent movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.