main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends Doppelganger [A Hobbie Klivian story] Completed 13 Jan!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by CarrKicksDoor, Nov 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarrKicksDoor

CarrKicksDoor Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Author: CarrKicksDoor
    Title: Doppelganger
    Fandom: Star Wars
    Timeframe: Two and a half years before the Hand of Thrawn Duology (directly before the Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy)
    Keywords: Hobbie Klivian, Wes Janson
    Summary: There have been two Hobbie Klivians in the universe. Most people have only known one. One woman knew another. And now, the universe is going to know the consequences of angering the other.
    Notes: If you?ve read my Wes Janson story, Unfit for a Normal Life, you may remember one slight incidental about the party at Fey?lya?s?Hobbie never mentioned having a date. There was a reason. This is, however, a stand alone story. Also, most of the italics in this story indicate flashbacks to an earlier time. Most of them should be self-explanatory.

[Sometime before the Battle of Yavin]

Rand Ecliptic

?Derek?? the voice said softly. ?Derek? Are you there??

?Hang on,? he said. Biggs had, with a grin, agreed to play sabaac late into the evening. Despite being captain and executive officer of the
    Ecliptic?s small fighter contingent, he and Biggs still had to share quarters. Shoving a dirty sock underneath Darklighter?s bunk, he opened the door.

Jeni hurried in, shutting the door behind her. Already disliked by the ship?s executive officer simply for being a woman in the Imperial service, if she was caught sneaking into Lieutenant Klivian?s quarters, she?d be drummed out of the service faster than she could say ?not guilty? at her court martial.

But if she got caught, she couldn?t participate in their mutiny and join the Rebellion with the rest of them.

At the moment, though, she was here, in his quarters, safe, and she was in his arms. ?Jeni,? he said, barely able to breath after kissing her.

She buried her face into his chest and he put his hand on her head, brushing his fingers across glossy dark strands of hair. He could hear her breath heavily against him. ?Not much longer,? she said.

He nodded, leading her across the room to the only real suitable seating in his quarters. Sitting down on the bunk, he spoke. ?No, not much longer, thank the Force.?

?Thank the Force indeed,? Jeni said. The small defiance in mentioning the Force satisfied them for the moment. ?I can?t wait to be shed of this?
    farce.?

He turned her to face him, pulling her hair out of its severe bun. His mouth descended upon hers, met by an equal ferocity.

He pulled away for a moment, staring down at her. ?What?s wrong?? she asked.

Derek Klivian shook his head. ?Nothing. Everything?s right.? He ran his hand along the side of her face. ?I swear to you?you are the only woman I will ever love.?

[Coruscant. Now]

?Hobbie.? The voice over his shoulder was full of fun and mischief. Sitting in the squadron pilot lounge, Hobbie considered ignoring the voice, but he knew that attempting to do so would only make things worse. Sighing, he marked his place on the datapad. ?What, Wes??

A bottle of Whyren?s Reserve dangled over his shoulder. ?Corran can?t be here for the bachelor party next week, so he brought me this last night.?

?He?s going to be back in time for the wedding, isn?t he?? Hobbie said, taking the bottle and examining the label.

?He said he was,? Janson said, leaning against the back of the sofa. ?He?s off doing some sort of Jedi thing. Besides, he better be, or I?ll have to find another groomsman.?

?So we?re celebrating early?? Hobbie asked.

?Yeah,? Janson said. ?Jedi always make a party too dull.? He laughed a Hobbie?s look of irritated disapproval. ?No, I?m trying to get rid of it before Inyri sees it and tries to make ryshcate again.?

Hobbie winced, setting down his datapad. Inyri had attempted ryshcate for the engagement party. The result had been an over baked bar that tasted so strongly of Corellian whiskey, Hobbie had taken one bite and found a way to dispose of the rest. Janson, being the good fiancé, had choke

2. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    HOBBIE!

A real Hobbie story! You... you... I love you. Marry me?

Uh, never mind that proposal. That was just one of my, uh, other minds.

But for reals, a Hobbie story? You are my hero. Now I don't have to write one. Well, maybe I still will someday, but for now my Hobbie craving seems to be somewhat sated. Thank you!

3. Valin_Halcyon

Valin_Halcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    A pilot fic!!!!!!!!!!!

And one featuring hobbie!!!!!!!

*dies*

There is a maker....

Awsome start. I'm sure there's more to this than meets the eye....

4. DreamingIce

DreamingIce Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 8, 2005
    *gasps* An actual Hobbie-centric fic! *squees in delight*

More!! ...Please? :D [face_batting]

[hl=royalblue]~Misha[/hl]

5. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    A Hobbie fic! [face_love] Very exciting :D

?I?m not that discombobulated.?

For some reason Hobbie and discombobulated just seem to go hand in hand ;)

Always a fan of the pilots, I look forward to seeing where you take this.

6. CarrKicksDoor

Jan 16, 2005
    TheCrazyRodian, lol! I love Hobbie! He's one of my favorite characters. We were playing the Star Wars rpg the other day at my friends apartment, and I, uh, got it on with Hobbie. In character, of course. Like, there was no actual getting it on, Eric just looked at me and said, "You wake up next to Hobbie."

It was cool. :) But you're real, and Hobbie isn't....

Valin, There are not enough pilot!fics! And there aren't enough serious pilot!fics, and people need to quit thinking about Hobbie as the sidekick. :)

DreamingIce, I am working on it as fast as possible!

~Carr

7. CarrKicksDoor

Jan 16, 2005
    TKL, I just barely missed you this morning with your reply! Must have just barely overlapped before I went to school!

I never thought of Hobbie as discombomulated myself, believe it or not. He's just always been the willing sidekick, but without much of a direction. Glad you're liking it so far.

~Carr

8. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    *claps* Another pilot masterpiece by CarrKicksDoor! And this one about Hobbie?! I love the idea... first serious Wes and now a romantically engaged Hobbie?

Wow, that's some talent, Carr, I love it!

Wonderful so far - could you PM me when you update, if it's not too much trouble? Please? I don't wanna lose track of this ;)

9. CarrKicksDoor

Jan 16, 2005
    You've got it, JM! Glad you're liking the story so far!

Speaking of...here you go. :) Warning: parts of this may be creepifying. [face_skull]

Enjoy!

~Carr

Rand Ecliptic

?Mmm,? he said sometime later, the sound rumbling through his chest with vibrations that sounded like a satisfied animal. His fingers tangled through her hair. ?You drive me crazy.?

She looked up at him, resting her chin on his shoulder. ?Good.?

With one swift motion, he pulled her completely on top of him so if she lowered her head, her mouth would be tilted directly over his. ?I think you know me better than I know myself.?

She tossed her hair behind her shoulders, helped by his hands. ?Derek, no one can know you better than you know yourself. I?m just letting you be yourself.?

?You don?t think I?m being myself?? he said, an amused smile on his face.

?You don?t let your true self out,? she said softly. ?No one sees this side of you, Derek. They see your other side.?

?Old dependable Hobbie?? he suggested, propping his head up on an arm.

?No,? Jeni said, mischief in her eyes. Her hair came forward to fall around his face. ?No one sees that you care.?

[Semsara. Now.]

Janson managed to arrange flight on a military transport going to one of the orbital defense stations around Semsara so they could take their X-wings with them. Inyri had come and asked if there was anything she could do. Hobbie shook his head and thanked her, but politely declined her offer of help.

The trip from Coruscant to Semsara was nearly twenty-five standard hours. Janson dozed while Hobbie tried to continue the book Duggan?s call had interrupted, but his eyes merely rested on the words without reading them.

He stared out the window into the swirling colors of hyperspace. Around and around and around, they surrounded the ship and he wondered what it would be like to get lost in hyperspace forever and just to wander around until death found him.

His memories kept surfacing, and everyone he remembered he held on to as tightly as he could. He hadn?t realized how important they were then. Now, he would give every credit he had to keep them or to remember more.

He reached up, turning off the light over his seat. Only a few other lights in the transport indicated other personnel were still awake. Closing his eyes, he hoped he wouldn?t dream.

?Derek?? the voice called. ?Derek??

He turned around to see Jeni standing there, dressed in her Rebellion mechanic uniform. ?Jeni,? he breathed.

There were tears in her eyes. He?d never seen her cry before. ?Jeni??

?I didn?t do it, Derek,? she said. ?I didn?t do it!?

?Do what?? he said, trying to smile at her, putting his hands on her upper arms. ?Are you in trouble again??

?You can?t rescue me this time,? she said defiantly. ?I?m dead, Derek.?

?Never,? he said fiercely. ?You aren?t dead!?

She stepped back. ?I?m dead. But it wasn?t me, Derek. It wasn?t me.?

He cast about looking for her. ?Jeni? Jeni!?

The datapad clattering out of his lap and into the floor startled him awake. Taking a moment to reorient himself, he leaned over and picked it up.

?You okay?? Janson said without opening his eyes.

?Just a dream,? Hobbie answered quietly. He looked back out the window and decided that staring into the dizzying vista of hyperspace was preferable to sleeping.

They landed their X-wings on Semsara on the landing field for the Public Safety vehicles. The cold air buffeted Hobbie in the face as he raised the canopy of his fighter. Neither he nor Janson had bothered with the standard orange jumpsuit for such a short flight, but even their New Republic military uniforms, when contrasted with the dark black of the Semsara Public Safety men and women running around stood out.

Hobbie shrugged into his jacket and Janson did the same. They did much to allow the two to blend in, with the exception of the bright Rogue Squadron patch on the arms and the co

10. Jag-Fel

Jag-Fel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2004
    Just a few posts and I'm already in love with this fic.
    I don't know what it is about your writing style, but I'm strangely drawn to you pilot stories. I just finished combing through the nether regions of Beyond the Saga and read Unfit for a Normal Life, and loved it.

Hobbie and Janson are two characters with a depth that the authors never took time to touch one. They were always a comic duo, but never given the chance to develop character like everyone else. I think that's what I like about this story. Hobbie is finally given his chance to a story. And you can't beat the feeling you get when someone expresses a martial determination to right what they see as a wrong.

Good on you, Carr. This looks great. You brought me out of "retirement".

11. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    *gasps* wow... The way you described the morgue scene was just creepy... I'm feeling for Hobbie... to have someone you love stolen from you and then being told she did it herself... even when there's evidence to the contrary...

This side of Hobbie is... rather disturbing actually... but you have him pegged.

I do like how he's not satisfied with the investigation and is calling in Cracken...

Bravo, Carr! I can't wait to see where this leads :)

12. TheCrazyRodian

Mar 3, 2004
    Ooh, I missed the second update almost.

I feel so bad for Hobbie--not only does he have to relive memories that are probably painful, he's now suspicious that there is much more than meets the eye.

It's no wonder Hobbie always looks so mournful.

13. CarrKicksDoor

Jan 16, 2005
    Jag-Fel, Welcome! I'm so glad you've enjoyed my other fic and have come on over to this one. :) My writing style is best described as 'long-winded,' according to some. And Hobbie deserves his story. Every character in every universe has a story waiting to be told. I just happened to start with the two of them.

JM, hee, morgues are supposed to be creepy. I just described every morgue I've ever seen on Law and Order and put it in there. :) And yes, Hobbie is being rather disturbing. But he's never been disturbing before, and whereas everyone else has had their moment to be downright creepifying, it's Hobbie's turn.

TCR, I'm glad you found the post! It is no wonder Hobbie looks so mournful. There had to be something beind his expression that keeps him always looking that way. Besides that, Tycho and Wedge (and in my continuity, Janson) are the only ones with good relationships with women. Hobbie needed an explanation. He needed a backstory, and to be fleshed out. I really wanted to make Hobbie three-dimensional.

~Carr

14. Jag-Fel

Jag-Fel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2004
    I've heard that withdrawal hurts, so prevent that from happening and just update.

*Returns to corner and shakes* [face_whistling]

15. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    *just found fic*

I love this! Poor, poor, poor, poor, poor, poor, poor, poor, poor Hobbie! [:D]

(I have to admit that I really like that Wes and Inyri are engaged! [face_dancing])

Anyways, this is awesome. :D

~Myra

16. CarrKicksDoor

Jan 16, 2005
    JF, lol, I am trying to get some writing done. My term projects were due last week and this week, so I've been pretty busy. :) But I am scribbling away, I promise!

Mirax-Corran, I'm glad you like this story so far! LOL @ your Wes and Inyri comment: this actually came from a Wes and Inyri story I wrote called "Unfit for a Normal Life." It's in my bio if you want to check it out. :) Thanks for reviewing!

~Carr

17. CarrKicksDoor

Jan 16, 2005
    Here you go, guys! Enjoy the next post!

~Carr

Rand Ecliptic

He climbed out of the TIE fighter, and pulled his helmet off, running a hand through his hair. Setting his helmet down next to the wing panel, he looked around for the crew chief. ?Chief!? he hollered. ?Chief!?

Jeni appeared out of the engines of another fighter. ?What??

He walked over to the other fighter, stripping his gloves off his hands. ?My starboard engine is acting up.?

?What?s wrong with it?? she asked, wiping her hands on a rag as she stood.

He jerked his head and she followed him over to the fighter, moving behind it to look at the engines. The warmth barely bleeding off from his short flight through the atmosphere of the landing bay affronted them as they moved out of sight of the rest of the deck crew behind one of the solar panels.

With one swift movement, he had her pinned up against the solar panel, one hand on each side of her head, his mouth covering hers. She breathlessly pushed him away. ?Nothing wrong with your engine, is there, Derek??

?Not a thing,? he said with a grin. ?If anyone asks, there might have been a rattle, but I think you solved it.?

?So what caused this sudden spontaneous outburst of affection?? she asked.

He bounced up and down on the balls of his feet a bit. ?Damn near clipped a shuttle that was coming out of space dock. Still up on the adrenaline. Needed a way to come down easily.?

?So you thought having your wicked way with me in the landing bay would do it?? she said, crossing her arms across her chest.

His grin grew even wider. ?It?s public.?

?Only to someone flying in from outside,? she said, pointing out towards the open space doors that showed the ship-building station outside. ?Which would be Biggs, whenever he feels like coming in.?

?He won?t tell,? he said, leaning forward for another kiss.

The sound of footsteps barely gave Jeni enough time to shove him away before the executive officer came marching around the corner, his steps precisely measured. He was every inch the proper Imperial, and Derek and Jeni both stood at attention. ?Sir.?

?Lieutenant Klivian. You have not reported in yet,? the other man said.

?Yes, sir,? Derek answered. ?I was explaining to the chief here that I believe there?s a rattle in my starboard engine.?

?Perhaps that explains the complaint we just received from the civilian ship heading out of the system,? the officer said. ?Please finish and report to my office. Lieutenant.? He looked down his nose at Jeni. ?Chief.?

He was out of sight and out of earshot before they spoke again. ?Kriffing piece of sithspit,? Jeni muttered. ?Now I?ll actually have to take the engine apart.?

?There?s nothing wrong with it,? Derek said helpfully. ?It can?t take long.?

She glared at him. ?No, but in taking it apart, you risk something getting inside that shouldn?t be there. Thanks a lot, hot shot. You and your sneaking around have created more work for me.?

?Actually, you created more work for yourself,? he countered.

She put a hand on her hip and fixed him with one of the stares her deck crew hated to find themselves on the receiving end of. ?Oh, yes? And just exactly how did that happen??

?You,? he said, backing her up against the fighter once more, ?were in my head when I was flying, which caused me to nearly clip that shuttle, which just made things go downhill from there.? He leaned in for another kiss.

She put her hand against his lips, and instead of her mouth, he found engine oil, and a look that clued him into the fact that she was through messing around with him. ?Derek. Enough sneaking around. Get off my deck.?

It wasn?t enough that Janson was opposed to the entire idea, but when Hobbie managed to get the Coruscant military operator to finally put him through to Cracken?s home, Pash too, tried to discourage him.

?Hobbs,? his friend said, ?I don?t know what it is you need from my father, but if I can get it for y

18. Valin_Halcyon

Valin_Halcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    New Republic Intelligence. Sector Agent, Level 2. Licensed to arrest suspects. Licensed to carry concealed weaponry. Licensed to kill.

Now THAT is worth him being in debt to cracken...

*shivers* Can't wait to see where this goes next.

19. TheCrazyRodian

Mar 3, 2004
    I want level two clearance.

20. DreamingIce

Aug 8, 2005
    *echos above statement*

I am loving this, and I really want know what happened to Jeni, and why she and Hobbie hadn't seen each other in years...

21. CarrKicksDoor

Jan 16, 2005
    Valin, Hobbie is in debt to Cracken...let's just say he's going to need the powers of an Intelligence agent to get what he needs done.

TCR, lol! But do you want it bad enough to sell your soul to Airen Cracken? (And if that's Level 2, you should see what happens when you get Level 1 clearence.)

DreamingIce, Which statement...that about shivering, or that about wanting the Level 2 clearance? ;) I promise, you will find out about Jeni and Hobbie.

Incidentally, this last post has provided the prospect of my next story. See if you can guess what it is. :) (And I'll give you a hint...it's not about what happens to Hobbie when Cracken calls in his favor.)

~Carr

22. DreamingIce

Aug 8, 2005
    Which statement...that about shivering, or that about wanting the Level 2 clearance?

The Level 2 clearance. ;) Heh, scare some people out of their wits...[face_devil]

Incidentally, this last post has provided the prospect of my next story. See if you can guess what it is. (And I'll give you a hint...it's not about what happens to Hobbie when Cracken calls in his favor.)
    ... exams have sucked away all my deduction powers :(

23. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    *claps* Wow, Carr, this is such an underrated story, everyone who loves these two should be in here reading!

I can't wait to see not only what Hobbie has to do to repay Cracken, but to see where they get to with that access level *whistles* that's some authorization.

I love Hobbie in this, he's still the accident prone pilot *chuckle* only for different reasons, and not dour as we now know him, make me wonder what happened between them, just like the rest of these groopies :D

24. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    Well, parent is watching, so I'll make this quick.

?Now I?ll actually have to take the engine apart.?
    ROFL! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

This was really funny and sad! Still loving it.

Will there ever be any Wes/Inyri stuff? :p

Great work!

~Myra

PS - *wants Level 2 clearance too*

25. CarrKicksDoor

Jan 16, 2005
    Dreaming Ice, lol, I understand about the exams. Next week is dead week for me (a misnomer if I ever heard one), and then I have finals. So I'm trying to get things finished up, becaluse after that, I have to start my thesis in earnest. :(

JM, you know, that access level might come in handy. ;) I do love Hobbie. He's been my favorite character for a long time, and I knew that there had to be something underneath there besides the accident-prone, Janson sidekick.

MC, thanks! There will be Wes/Inyri stuff at the very end. :)

~Carr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.