main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends Doppelganger [A Hobbie Klivian story] Completed 13 Jan!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by CarrKicksDoor, Nov 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
    I could have sworn I'd replied to this... Great story!

2. CarrKicksDoor

CarrKicksDoor Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Thanks, princess!

Anyway, here's the next piece! Enjoy!

[Sometime before the Battle of Yavin]

Bestine

?So this is your place?? she said, her eyes looking around appreciatively. ?It?s nice. I like it.?

He glanced around his tiny apartment. ?It?s not much, but it?s home. And it?s someplace to come back to when I can?t get to Ralltiir.? He pointed across the room. ?That?s a picture of my folks right there.?

She moved over to the makeshift shelf he?d put up with a few crates that were serving to hold books, and picked up the holo. ?You take after your father, Derek.?

He looked over her shoulder. ?Yeah. It?s the long face,? he said, stroking his chin and smiling. ?Where do you live when you?re off-ship??

?Oh, no place near this nice,? she said, stretching her arms over her head. ?Can?t afford it on a mechanic?s salary. I live with three other gals in a flat about half this size in Trinsron.?

He raised his eyebrows. ?Trinsron. That?s not exactly a safe place to be living, Jeni.?

?Can?t afford anything better,? she said. ?Besides, we?re careful. We carry stunners between here and home, and one of the girls works in Trinsron. She?s used to it. We know who to stay away from, and which streets are the worst. Besides, I stay on the ship as much as possible.?

?You?re always welcome to stay here,? he said hesitantly. ?I can give you a keycode. I keep it clean in here, I promise. And there?s an empty drawer in my dresser that you could keep stuff in??

?Derek Klivian,? she said, her voice sultry as she pushed him back onto the ancient sofa. ?Are you offering me a drawer??

?Um?yeah,? he said. ?I mean, it?s not much. It?s just a drawer.?

?It?s a drawer, Derek,? she said. ?But it?s so much more. It?s a bit into your life. A symbolic bit, because once we leave, we aren?t ever going to be able to come back here, but it?s a symbol.?

?Of what?? he asked, somewhat amused as she climbed into his lap and settled herself there to look at him.

?Of a little piece of yourself that you just gave to me,? she said. ?It?s very sweet.?

?Oh,? he said. ?Am I going to get anything in return??

She raised an eyebrow. ?Other than smelly girl stuff in your underwear drawer??

?Other than that, yes.?

?Someday, I will share a drawer with you."

[Semsara. Now.]

They were hardly in the nice section of town. It wasn?t nearly as bad as some places that Jeni had lived in the past, Hobbie knew?for that matter, it wasn?t nearly as bad as some places he had lived. The apartment he and Biggs had shared when they were finishing their tour at the Academy, for example, had been in a neighborhood of Coruscant that few dared to travel in those days. The two of them had been the only humans living in the building, and the fact that they were going to be future Imperials didn?t necessarily endear them to the inhabitants. They?d soon learned not to keep any valuables around, and Biggs had commented that it was designed to enforce the anti-alien sentiment in Imperial officers.

Janson rang the bell with no small enthusiasm to the small apartment complex, and they waited in the cold air for the door to open. The sky was beginning to spit snow, and the wind blew it directly into their faces.

The ancient door opened, and the face of an old woman appeared. ?Can I help you??

?Yes, ma?am,? Hobbie said. ?I?m Major Klivian from New Republic Intelligence. This is Major Janson. We?re here about Jeni Rutard.?

?Oh!? The old woman said. ?Come in, boys, come in! Just wipe your feet on the mat there, and come in.?

They did as they were told, wiping their boots off on a mat that had probably existed since the Clone Wars, and the old woman led them into a parlor off the foyer. ?Do come in. This complex belongs to me, you see, and this bottom section is mine. I don?t get up stairs real well anymore, so the top five floors are all apartments. Do sit down and let me get you some caf. Now, who are you boys from again? The police have already bee

3. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    ?Derek Klivian,? she said, her voice sultry as she pushed him back onto the ancient sofa. ?Are you offering me a drawer??

?Um?yeah,? he said. ?I mean, it?s not much. It?s just a drawer.?

LOL!!! I love the interaction backflashes between these two. This Jeni woman is a perfect match for Hobbie...

*sighs softly, sadly* just makes it all that more tragice now that Hobbie's investigating her murder... Poor Hobbie, what'd he find in her drawer?

4. CarrKicksDoor

Jan 16, 2005
    JM, Jeni is a good match for Hobbie. She compliments him, which is why he's never truly gotten over her. And they're both still insecure, as well. As for what Hobbie found in the drawer....that's a subject for another post. :)

~Carr

5. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    Poor Hobbie! :_|

Great work, Carr. I'm about to cry ... That scene in Jeni's appartment was so sad! :_|

6. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    Haha! Hobbie! I mean, it's sad, because she's dead, but the flashback, where she's seducing him... "Uh, it's just a drawer"... SMOOTH, man, smooth.

I love this story so much I wanna cover it in chocolate syrup and eat it. Mmmm. Chocolate syrup...

7. Card_Dreamer

Card_Dreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 5, 2003
    Holy Sithlord!...are you sure you aren't Stackpole or Alliston in disguise? This is WONDERFUL! I can't wait to see what comes next! And I wanna know what was in the box!!

8. CarrKicksDoor

Jan 16, 2005
    MC, *passes the Kleenex* Don't cry! (Not yet!) :)

Incidentally, the story that I alluded to on the page that I was going to write next...well, I'm not going to write it next. I had a better idea, and it'll come between this story and my Wes Janson story. Should prove interesting.

TCR, Chocolate syrup! ROFL! Poor Hobbie. Sometimes he is just so innocent and doesn't see things. :)

Card_Dreamer, the box will just have to wait! ;) The box has a story behind it. It'll get told in either the next post, or the post after that. :)

~Carr

9. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    IT'S A HOBBIE STORY!!!! How did I miss this???

I [face_love] Hobbie!!!

Wow, I was already blown away by your Wes fic, but this is sending me to the moon! This story is so sad but poignant, and I really like how you show the different facets to their personalities. These pilots are more than happy-go-lucky pilots, and I'm glad you're showing us their grittier behind the scenes situation.

I'm waiting at the edge of my seat for more!

10. DreamingFlames

DreamingFlames Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2005
    Have I said how much I love this story? [face_love] [face_love]

I slso think it's great how Jeni called him Derek rather than Hobbie, just a nice touch. :D

[hl=royalblue]~Misha[/hl]

11. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    Don't cry! (Not yet!)
    I always cry at the sad parts. :p

Call me sleepy, but I didn't get what you were saying about the thing that you were going to write next ...

PS - Call my Myra. :)

12. Lovely-in-Orange

Lovely-in-Orange Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    Yay, a Hobbie story! [face_dancing] He's one of my favorites too. I loved he and Jeni's conversation about the drawer. And this last scene when he goes into her apartment is very touching.

13. CarrKicksDoor

Jan 16, 2005
    Where did all these replies come from?! LOL, I must have gotten caught up with finals and missed you all!

Inara, *huge hugs* Hey girl! LOL, I love Hobbie too. He's probably my favorite Star Wars character ever. :) I know I'm screwing up his life a bit, but you know, there has to be something behind that mournful expression on his face!

Misha, You know, it's always nice when someone calls someone else by their given name rather than their nickname. It gives just a little bit of intimacy that isn't there otherwise.

Myra, lol, I'd gotten a plot bunny from my own writing! (How awful is that?) But then...I had another plot bunny, and I'm going to write it first. :)

LIO, Welcome! You know, I figure a lot of couples end up having the drawer conversation at some point. As for the apartment, Hobbie has been holding all of this in so tightly, it's time it all started to come loose.

~Carr

14. CarrKicksDoor

Jan 16, 2005
    Well, this is kind of a late update...I didn't realize it had been so long since I had updated, but I kind of hit writer's block, but I finally figured it out. This is the next to last post, everyone, so enjoy. :)

~Carr

[Sometime before the Battle of Yavin]

Rand Ecliptic

?Why not?? he asked, throwing up his hands in frustration.

?This is my job, Derek,? she shot back. ?I?m not going to up and leave it.?

?Who was asking you to?? he demanded.

?It just sounded like you were!?

?I?m not!? he said, putting both hands on top of his head and trying to keep from pulling his hair out in frustration. He lowered his voice. ?Once we get out of here, we?re not going to have to worry about leaving our positions or anything like that.?

?You don?t know that,? she hissed. ?You honestly can?t tell me that the Rebellion works that way, because you don?t know, Derek. No one really does. Besides, you think the Rebellion can afford to keep us together? They?re going to do whatever they have to do to win, Derek, and they can?t afford to consider personal relationships.?

?As opposed to here?? he demanded. ?Where it hangs over our head every day, because some paper pusher could just simply decide that one or the other of us needs moved?mostly likely you, moving you down into a more denigrating position. Do you really want that to happen, Jeni? At least the Rebellion will take you seriously.?

?What I want is something certain,? Jeni said, sagging down onto the bunk. ?Derek, the
    Ecliptic is getting ready to ship out any day now, and for all we know, I could be ordered to stay here at the shipyards. I want something sure, Derek. Maybe I?m asking for too much, but I want to know that one thing in my life is going to remain constant, and if there?s one thing in my life that I want to remain constant, it?s you.?

He watched her for a moment sitting there on the edge of Biggs? bunk, her fall of glossy hair over her shoulder, fingers steepled together in stress. Without a word, he walked over to the wall and depressed the button that opened one of the drawers that belonged to him. The small blue box fit in his hand, and he took a breath before turning around and handing it to her.

Her gaze met his in surprise. ?Derek??

?Open it,? he said softly.

Her fingers were trembling, he thought, as she opened the box to reveal the ring, embellished with the patterns that were traditional for Ralltiir. It was an exact replica of the one his grandmother had worn years ago, the one she had sold during the Clone Wars to feed her family. The pattern and the story of her surviving through adversity had always entranced him, and he?d had it specially made down on Bestine. ?Derek,? she said, her voice choked, ?are you asking me to marry you??

He glanced down at his boots. ?Yes. I am.?

He laid on the uncomfortable hotel bed as night fell on Semsara. Snow was continuing to fall softly outside, and he couldn?t do anything but stare at the ceiling. Wes thought he was still asleep, because he?d flopped down here and passed out when he?d been dragged here by his friend, and he could hear Wes? voice in a soft tone speaking to Inyri over the comm.

?I?m worried,? he heard Wes say. ?I?ve never seen him like this, Inyri. I?m afraid he could be suicidal.?

He couldn?t hear Inyri?s response, just the higher-pitched voice, made slightly computerized by the comm. Wes? rejoinder was too low for him to hear, and then his tone switched to an intimate one intended most certainly for Inyri?s ears alone.

It nearly made him sick, hearing Wes? tone. He rolled over on the bed, turning his back to his friend, trying to block it out of his head, but he couldn?t, and his stomach turned until he bolted up from the bed and into the refresher.

Wes? voice hurriedly cut off the conversation, and his friend?s shadow suddenly blocked the light streaming into the refresher. ?Hobbie??

?Something I ate,? he choked out.

?Not likely,? Wes said, his voice just a shade shy of be

15. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    :eek: Hobbie asked her to marry him?! Oh my.... I really hurt for Hobbie in this, and Wes pointing out that all of her life had been put back into order just before she died is callous... But it needed to be done *sighs* Poor Wes, having to play devil's advocate to a friend who doesn't want to acknowledge the truth, or read the signs pointing to the possibility of it being truth.

I still think she was murdered though - call me crazy, but it sounds like she was getting ready to leave her current life in search of a new one.

great post Carr... It hurt to read it, to see Hobbie and Wes like this, but man... good job!

16. DreamingIce

DreamingIce Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 8, 2005
    Jeni ran from him??? Oh, poor Hobbie... :_|

Beuatiful update, sad, poignent, and very nice. [:D] :_| [face_love]

[hl=royalblue]~Misha[/hl]

17. princess_of_naboo

Nov 9, 2000
    Really great update! I hope Hobbie will be okay with Wes gone...

18. CarrKicksDoor

Jan 16, 2005
    JM, I do feel for Hobbie, but it's always hard when you lose someone you love, and I had to show somehow just why Hobbie was feeling this so very deeply. And Wes, poor goofy Wes, is truly having to step up and take on the responsiblity for this, even if it means hurting Hobbie more.

Misha, thank you!

princess, Hobbie will be okay. I promise. :)

~Carr

19. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    ROGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You evil, evil, evil, evil....

POOR HOBBIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*cries*

~Inyri

20. CarrKicksDoor

Jan 16, 2005
    Evil? No....wait until you see the next story after this one. [evil_grin]

Here is the last post everyone, enjoy!

~Carr

[Sometime before the Battle of Endor]

[Sullust]

The fleet was coming together, and he had one thing on his mind as he escaped the clamor of the squadron headquarters and the briefings. He would be able to find her now, for the first time since she?d requested the transfer before Hoth, and he had every intention of finding out why she?d run from him.

The ship was huge, but he found his way down into the belly to the crew quarters and rang the annunciator to the door, waiting for someone to answer. The door slid open before him, and there she stood, surprise etched across her features. It quickly faded and gave way to resignation. ?I should have known you?d have come.?

?I don?t give up that easily,? he said. ?The only reason it took me this long was because there were other things to consider. Like Imperials breathing down our necks.?

?I suppose I should be flattered that the great Hobbie Klivian chased after me,? she said bitterly. ?I?ve heard tale of your exploits with women lately.?

?Over-exaggerated,? he said, although not saying if they were outright false. ?You can attribute that to Wes Janson.?

She turned around, allowing him entry into the room. A yank of her dresser drawer later, and she had a blue box in her hand. ?Here. I suppose you want this back.?

He blinked at her in astonishment for a moment. ?Is that what you think I came here for??

Her eyes were hard. ?Take the ring back, Derek.?

?I didn?t come back here for the ring,? he said. ?I came back here for you.? He stepped closer, his eyes blazing. ?Damn it, woman, you are going to tell me why you walked out on me like you did, because I at least deserve an explanation.?

?Yes,? she said. ?you deserve one, but I?m not going to give you one. Because I don?t have to.?

?Why not?? he said.

She turned and put the box back in her dresser with somewhat reverent care. ?Because you love me enough not to make me.?

Hobbie stood there, watching his best friend beam as he declared his undying love for the woman standing in front of him. Inyri?s face was rosy and her voice was soft as she did the same, and somewhere deep inside, Hobbie knew that he was truly happy for them. It was just going to take a while to dig it all out.

Gavin Darklighter slapped a hand on his shoulder at the reception. ?It was no true bachelor party without you there, Hobbs. Sorry you couldn?t make it.?

Hobbie shrugged, attempting not to spill the mug of lomin ale he had in his hand as he did so. ?Things happen, you know.? His typical long face, which he had so hated when he was a teen, was finally coming in handy, because most of his squadron mates, even though they could tell something was up, were contributing it to the fact that he?d just served as best man at his best friend?s wedding.

He set the lomin ale down in front of Wes, only to find that his own mug had already disappeared?or had done a rather astonishing maneuver right in front of Wes? place setting. Making an annoyed face, he sat the lomin ale he?d meant to retrieve for the groom in front of himself instead. Inyri was excitedly chatting to Rhysati, something about the sleek wedding dress she was wearing.

Wes was grinning from ear to ear, and Hobbie leaned over. ?Married life suits you.?

His friend turned to him, running his hand through his hair and mussing it up. Inyri almost automatically smoothed it back down without ceasing her conversation with Rhysati. ?I?m liking it so far. I?m going to like it better once we get out of this reception.? His grin grew that much more wicked.

Hobbie gave him a lop-sided smile. ?Listen, I?m going to get out of here. I?ve fulfilled my duties as best man, including the toast.?

Wes stood as Hobbie did, taking his hand and shaking it enthusiastically before enfolding his friend in a hug. ?Thanks for being here. It means a lot.?

?Hey, and here,? Hobbie said,

21. princess_of_naboo

Nov 9, 2000
    Some of that was really sweet; some of it made me want to cry.

Really great story and about such an underused character no less.

Sequel?

22. CarrKicksDoor

Jan 16, 2005
    Thank you, princess! Actually, as far as a sequel goes....yes! It focuses more on Inyri, but it goes into this same continuity. I hope you like it as well. :)

~Carr

23. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! How sad! I love it, but why oh why does Hobbie have to be alone?

Wonderful work on this story! I am so glad you posted it.

24. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Poor Hobbie *sighs* :(

Awesome fic, Carr, the humanizing you're doing with these three is just incredible.

Is Wes's "You made need it someday" a prelude to a sequel where Hobbie finds someone else to be with him?

*face_begs* pleeeasse? I don't want Hobbie to be alone!

I really adore this trilogy of Short Stories, it's just... fantabulous!

25. CarrKicksDoor

Jan 16, 2005
    TCR, Hobbie is alone...for now. Give him a chance. He's still got that ring.

JM, Wes' 'you may need it some day' was something I threw in there and something that will one day be a plot contrivance. *grins*

~Carr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.