main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Do's and Don'ts" Survivor's Guide to Celebration V

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by EnviousSerious-Rue, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robonino

Robonino Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2009
    Baco, wear what ya'll want, ignore the haters and snobs (in the event that there are any)! Happy anniversary, have a blast.

2. Thistledown

Thistledown Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2002
    As a fan that doesn't have time to cosplay due to all the photos I take, I say make the costume however you want. I like a lot of people in the RL and 501st, but sometimes they can be overly politicized as far as who can be a member, or how a costume looks or fits. I wouldn't concern yourself with that unless you want to join their groups.

3. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Don't care about the nay-sayers, unfortunately there are many of them. As long as you have fun that's the important thing!

4. Baco_Sapan

Baco_Sapan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2010
    Thanks guys. I appreciate that. It makes me feel a whole lot better knowing I can dress up however I like at this thing...as long as it's not to revealing of course, lol. But yeah, thanks guys. I look foward to seeing you all there :D Like I said, if you see a Shistavenen Jedi walking around with a Wroonian Jedi, just stop by and say hi.

5. MattDoc

MattDoc Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2009
    Just ask yourself a simple question... why are you making and wearing your costume? To make yourself happy or to make someone else happy? If you want to join a costuming group, then yes, you'd have to play by their rules. But if it's just for your own fun then you get to make the rules.

6. PrincessLaDeeDa

PrincessLaDeeDa Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2010
    You guys are really great with all these suggestions! It's so awesome to get all this in one place! I will add a couple:
    1) Regarding lightsabres and the like at airports: My traveling companion was detained by airport security because her lightsabre hilt resembled a pipe bomb! She learned that it was best to have her props shipped to the hotel ahead of time. I myself am taking advantage of this service as well, as I have a Slave Leia costume that is very rigid and I am afraid it may be broken in transit. Plus, with all the new baggage fees and restrictions, I don't want the hassle of more luggage.

2) Also, I found at CIV that if you buy many souvenirs, it's easier to have them shipped home. That way you don't have to try to pack them in an already crowded suitcase. Most likely the convention hall will have a facility set up so that as soon as you buy things, you can then proceed there where they'll pack and ship them and you don't have to fool with them at all. It does have a fee, but it's a very nice service to have!

7. ChewieTitan

ChewieTitan Jedi Master star 2

Dec 26, 2001
    Shipping the lightsabers or any thing that security might question is a good idea. I shipped an fx saber to Disney last year for the Halloween party. Southwest agreed to let me bring it on the plane in a fishing rod container but TSA wouldn't give me an answer on the phone if they would let it through so I just shipped It. Also, we had a plastic gun for a Padme costume in a checked bag and TSA opened it to look at it so on the way home, we put it in a small front pocket so they didn't have open the main compartment.

8. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    I bought a Saber at CIV and when I tryed to bring it on the plane, I was question to the teeth about What in the world a Lightsaber was!! She had no clue what Star Wars was either.

9. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    The last time I flew I asked one of the TSA people about hard plastic tubes (like what you might carry a lightsaber blade in) and she didn't think it would go. One problem they have is with people wanting to take their sports equipment as carry on. Hmmmmm, now who would want to make a baseball bat or a hockey stick into a weapon? :p

However, cardboard poster tubes would be fine. So, if you buy a poster at CV, there shouldn't be any problem with that as carry on. They're not worried about cardboard and paper.

I always wondered if lightsabers would look like pipe bombs to TSA. But the TSA lady I talked to said that 'toys' with batteries were fine in carry on.

10. Baco_Sapan

Jun 10, 2010
    I gotta admit...that is VERY discouraging, lol. Was she bringing the FX lightsaber? Cause those look very real and so I could see why Security might make a big deal about that. I don't think people who bring non-fx lightsabers would have that same problem cause they look more like a toy. I'm bringing four non-fx lightsabers (only cause the fx ones are WAY more expensive) so I don't think I'd have that same issue with security. But then again...you never know. And all these stories I'm hearing now about people having problems with security while trying to bring lightsabers on the airplane is really making me want to drive down there now as opposed to flying, lol.

I mean I was planning on driving down there originally cause I'm in Maryland. So driving I could get there in one day. But my father is highly recommending that I fly down because he believes flying will be cheaper. Somehow I beg to differ. But I guess it depends on wether or not I'm able to buy my plane tickets before the end of this month. If I'm not able to, then I'll most then likely just have to drive down there as I know the longer you wait, the more expensive plane tickets get.

But what would you guys recommend? Flying or driving?

11. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
    I wrote this in an earlier post and will stand by it until further circumstances dictate different. Nothing is guaranteed. Just my two cents.:D

"I can only speak of my personal experiences and it does not guarantee that it will happen as easily for you.
    Leaving Michigan, I've taken my prop tube (lightsaber) onboard as far west as California, as far south as Florida and as far away as Japan and NEVER had not one single incident from 1995 to present.
    Yes, security does check it and in every instance, they were careful.
    My prop tube can be stowed away perfectly in the upper compartment.
    On top of that, I also carry my backpack. It is left to the discretion of the airline to determine if it is counted as "extra" baggage. So far, it has not. You are allowed one carry-on.
    Backpack + proptube = one carry-on.
    Airline Carriers: American, Delta, Continental, Southwest were flown last year. No problem!"

12. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    You shouldn't have any problems flying within the United States with a backpack and a prop tube. A backpack counts as your personal item. :D
    (I do love exploiting the "one carry-on plus one personal item" rule by carrying the largest purse possible in addition to my one piece of luggage....)

13. Baco_Sapan

Jun 10, 2010
    Well yeah, but don't they also make you take off your backpack/prop tube when you're going through security so they can scan it to see what's inside it?

14. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    DO take the second to make sure your admission badge is facing forward as you are about to enter the CC or a specific room for a panel session.

DON'T give the volunteers who check badges a hard time if they ask you to flip it around so they can see it.

(Sounds trivial, but there are people out there who would bust the chops of the volunteers who were just doing their jobs with this.)

15. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Yes, they do. My point was just that you won't be charged for extra baggage.

16. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    [/quote]

Ummm - DON'T think so - if you're trying to pass off a huge, overstuffed backpack as a carry on (there ARE size restrictions) you WILL have to gate check it, and pay any additional fees (and as one who is absolutely FED UP with hearing about it, honestly people, you DON'T need to take the whole house with you when you travel!)

Please be considerate of your fellow passengers (many of whom will be your fellow fans)and if you have extra stuff, kindly plan ahead and either ship it, or check it. The baggage fees are on every airlines web page, so there's no need to claim ignorance.

17. MattDoc

Dec 10, 2009
    Thought of another one for this list:

DON'T decide that CV is the time for you to try new foods/drinks. There are a lot of restaurants in the area and you'll most likely be having some meals with friends and/or having to inhale a quick bite when you get a free moment. The last thing you want is to have a bad reaction to something you ate because you tried something new. Stick with the things that you know and like and won't cause you to spend hours in bed or the restroom. Not a pleasant thing to think or talk about, but sometimes at big events like this you can get caught up and go, "Sure, I'll try the large order of the extra-hot wasabi buffalo wings." :)

Related to this:

DO pay attention to the ratings and cleanliness of the places you eat. Not sure if FL has this, but here in NC all restaurants have to display their score they got from the health department (A, B, C, etc. with the percentage they acheived). If a place looks or feels unclean, don't eat there just because it's quick and easy. Food poisoning is not a good souvenir from an event like this. [face_sick]

18. Admiral_Ozzel

Admiral_Ozzel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    My Jedi costume was first made of only a black karate outfit with the pants tucked into my Jedi boots, some cloth folded and sewn together to wrap around myself at the shoulders and waist, a belt with some pouches, and my lightsaber. I spent maybe around $150. I wore it to C3 where I found a Jedi robe to "finish" it. I had kids and adults both stopping me for pix, and asking me questions. I have since added and altered things, but I still use the same Karate suit as a base. Dont worry, no one will complain or gripe at you. :cool:

19. Baco_Sapan

Jun 10, 2010
    Oh nah, I'm not concerned about extra baggage. My wife and I are only bringing two duffelbags with our stuff in them. So I'm not concerned about the baggage. I'm just concerned about how security is gonna react when they see the lightsabers in me and my wife's bags. I'm hoping and praying that doesn't cause any problems. But, we'll see.

And thanks Ozzel. That's exactly the way my wife and I were gonna make our costumes. So, we'll see how they turn out. Can't wait :D

20. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I have a question - as someone who has never attended one of these - is there going to be a schedule released before opening day?

21. Admiral_Ozzel

Admiral_Ozzel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    Its cool Baco! :cool: Yeah they usaully post a schedule before it starts.

22. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    My only experience is C-IV, but I don't remember getting a schedule before the con started. I remember getting it on day one (the bonus day for Hyperspace members).

23. Eric Geller

Eric Geller TFN Staff Emeritus star 1 VIP

Mar 2, 2005
    I just pulled out my CIV binders and found a schedule in Rebelscum's survival guide that I had printed a few days before the show. So maybe LFL and GenCon didn't compile a formal schedule, but they announced the dates and times for all planned events with enough advance notice for others to make schedules.

24. MattDoc

Dec 10, 2009
    Just thought of another one:

DON'T use your ATM/Debit card for reservations of things like hotels or rental cars.

If you can, use a regular credit card. Even if your hotel is pre-paid, they'll usually ask you for a credit card to keep on file for things like room service, movies, etc. Rental cars are the same...they want a card on file when you pick the car up even though they won't charge it until you return it. Often times, with things like this, they put a hold on X dollars (sort of like a deposit) on the card. Sometimes, in the case of rental cars, it can be for the entire amount of the rental.

If you use your debit card for this, they are actually holding your cash. Keep this in mind and try to avoid using your debit card for any kind of reservation.

25. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
    So true MattDoc!
    And using a debit card on vacation can create some unwanted nightmares. For example, some banking institutions will not release any funds if it appears that hundreds of dollars are being requested instead of only a few dollars. Red flags could go up and the hotel may question your use of the debit instead of a credit card. They just want something more concrete.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.