main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Do's and Don'ts" Survivor's Guide to Celebration V

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by EnviousSerious-Rue, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clonetrooper10

clonetrooper10 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2010
    About security, I don't represent the TSA but I do overlook them to see if they are doing their job. And I had alot fired for this also. Here are the tips to take stuff with you, I call them easy travel tips when flying.
    1} Anything you can fit in your suitcase, like prop gun or a small lightsaber hilt. Wrap in clothes or in a small blanket in the middle of the suitcase then put clothes around it,but make sure you go out color tape or something to show its a toy. And to keep the tape from hurting the prop, just wrap gauze where you are putting tape at.
    2} If you have to carry it on, like said earlier in post let the Tsa agent watching know, or where in some airports where they check tickets before going through security. Just show them that its harmless and secured.
    3} If you don't want to mail some of your stuff again wrap it in clothes or a small blanket, and bring an extra suitcase. When you bring the suitcase there just divide your clothes in both suitcases. It cost about the same as sending it to you, and you won't have to wait to get it. Also mark your suitcases with color string and put an extra address label where someone can't rip it off at. This makes it easier to identify your bag in case someone tries to take it.
    4} Never cop an attitude with the Tsa it just makes things worse for you. It just calls people like me out and we are the last ones you want to see. They are just doing their jobs and it can really suck. Under paid and over worked just like the rest of you.
    Security tips for the con alot of you are right on the money, two thumbs up to you guys and girls =D= There are theives who buy one day badges and come to steal, usually they work in pairs. So watch out for someone bumping into you and keep your valuables in site. And watch to to see if someone is following you or watching you. Its always best to walk around in small groups it detares them from hitting you. And always watch whats going on around you when a crowd forms to see the slave leia" do a photo shoot or something that grabs everyones attention, this when thieves strike.
    I've worked in law enforcement for over 15 years, i've seen alot. Hopefully this info will help any of you. And I'll see you guys at the party :p

2. clonetrooper10

clonetrooper10 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2010
    OH yeah and be safe and have fun!!!!!!!:D Because I hope to see alot of you guys and girls at the next big show, you people are my Star Wars family. I've enjoyed meeting and hanging out with all of you on the past shows C1-C4, and had a blast, some I still keep in cotact with.

3. MattDoc

MattDoc Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2009
    This brings up another good point. As someone who has lived and traveled overseas, if you are going a great distance for this show you may want to call your bank/credit card company to give them the heads up about your travel plans. This keeps them from seeing all of this activity all of a sudden away from your home and thinking it's fraud or a stolen card. If they know you'll be in Florida for a week, they won't shut you down.

I've had this happen and it's not fun. You spend half a day on the phone with the bank trying to get them to re-activate your card.

So simply call the number on the back of your card and tell them your travel dates and locations and you'll be good to go. This *usually* doesn't matter for domestic travel, but definitely does for our friends coming from overseas.

4. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
    MattDoc, I could've said it any better!:D

5. KissinDigital

KissinDigital Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2010
    I haven't read anything and I'm hoping I'm being redundant but I'll give you some local tips:

It's Florida. If you don't live here (even if you do) at least BRING the sunscreen, though you should prolly go ahead and wear it, at least on your first day while you get an idea of how often you'll be outside.

This IS the hottest time of year for Florida, even if the weather report says it's 90, it'll feel like 110. Keep that in mind when deciding if its really worth it to wear layers of robe/jedi clothing/etc.

There are water fountains in lobby-esque areas by the bathroom. Bring a water bottle and keep it full. Even if you think you're not thirsty, think again - especially if you're not local. You will sweat the ocean if you've never experienced Florida heat making you prime for heat exhaustion.

Even though there may thunderstorms/rain forecast, unless a tropical system is moving through, you probably will not need an umbrella. Most of this will be indoors, though if the event takes place in both sides, the walkway between the buildings is not closed in.

Please. PLEASE. Shower at least daily. If nothing else it will help keep you cool.

Do your best to take hotel shuttles or carpool from your hotel. Parking isn't cheap and they don't allow re-entry.

Bring cash. Have a daily limit you're willing to spend and leave the rest of the cash locked in your safe - or better yet, buy TSA locks for your luggage and stash things you don't want maids pilfering in the bag. Most vendors prolly won't accpet cards though some of the food vendors prolly do. Still, be prepared.

If you plan to camp out for the main event, bring bug spray. It will most likely be too hot for mosquitoes but again, preparedness can't hurt.

Here's a tip a lot of people don't think about: Plan to have a snack every two hours. You will be expending a LOT of energy and you'll be hungry before you think you should be. I believe there's a grocery-esque place near the McD's/Red Lobster to the south of the Omni but there's also a Publix not far from the con and I think it's the best grocery store in the southeast, possibly whole east coast. High quality and very clean. Plus the store brand is cheap and good.

6. ChewieTitan

ChewieTitan Jedi Master star 2

Dec 26, 2001
    Thank you KissinDigital for the tips! Would you post some tips on driving into Orlando? I've heard reports that I-4 is a 7 lane parking lot. We will be going into Orlando on a Saturday morning about 9:00 am from Georgia. What is the best route to take going to Disney?
    Thank you.

7. MattDoc

Dec 10, 2009
    And speaking of driving, this may seem like an obvious one, but...

DO drive very carefully on your way to the show/airport or once you get to Orlando.

There will be a lot of things distracting your brain the closer you get to this trip so stay extra focused when behind the wheel.
    An accident or traffic ticket is never a good thing, but it can be even worse if it causes you to miss your flight or miss all or part of the event entirely.

8. KissinDigital

Jul 25, 2010
    It can be but if you're coming from I-75 you should be okay unless you'll be hitting Disney between 3-7p. It may be slow but assuming no accidents, as long as you're rolling, you'll still be better than surface road.

If you're coming down I-95, do your absolute best to get past Jacksonville before rush hour. Then, I-4 from Daytona is usually pretty decent. However if you're going to be hitting Orlando after 3p, I would suggest taking 417 in Sanford. It's pricey as it's a toll road but it moves AMAZING. Prolly my favourite highway in the state. Watch for signs for the International Airport and head for that, it'll put you on 528 which practically dead ends in I-Drive.

Orange County schools don't start up until August 23rd so any real traffic you'll be dealing with is convention traffic.

Still, if you get directions to something from yahoo/mapquest, I am more than willing to look over and give any advice. I told a friend who was coming from Tampa to take a certain route, he chose to ignore me and it cost him an extra hour of driving time. ;D

9. ChewieTitan

ChewieTitan Jedi Master star 2

Dec 26, 2001
    My maps app shows:

From I-75, take Florida turnpike/Ronald Reagan turnpike - 49 miles
    Take exit 259 onto I-4w - 9.4 miles
    Take exit 68 FL-535N
    A few short distances and turns into hotel.

This is to Saratoga Springs. Probably be about 9:00 am give or take an hour when we reach I-4. These directions ok?
    Thank you.

10. KissinDigital

Jul 25, 2010
    What, you driving all night? o_O

Also, yeah, you're golden.

IIRC, the Springs is like. Walking distance to Downtown Disney ya? If so you're smart about where you're staying. I'm actually gonna be on Palm parkway which is about a mile from where you'll be. I actually know a back entrance to the con that I'm hoping won't be blocked.. either way it'll get you to the center without having to deal with I-4 and that should actually be less stressful.

Problem is I'm not exactly certain how to get to it from the Springs. I'll do a little recon prior to event and pass it along. ^^

11. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    With this being Florida in August, am I pretty safe in bringing only T-shorts, shorts, and flip-flops in terms of clothing? Or will there be any reason/event during CV to be a little more dressed up? Or does it get really cold inside the convention center?

(Note: I've never been to a con before and so have no idea how these things work.)

12. MrSkinnee

MrSkinnee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 25, 2002
    T shirts nd shorts should be fine. There really isn't anything that will be formal that I'm aware of. However, I would really recommend bringing a pair of tennis shoes. You're going to be on your feet a lot and you want to make sure you are comfortable.

13. MattDoc

Dec 10, 2009
    I'll second this. Plus, even if you think you can be on your feet for 12+ hours in flip-flops (or thongs, for our non-US members), think about the rest of us. Your sweaty feet in those things makes them stink. Can't tell you how many times I've sat next to guys wearing them and when they cross their legs and bring that foot up to knee height...peeeeeewwwww. Nasty.

Go with sneakers/runners/tennis shoes and bring extra socks. If you have time to go to your room before going out each night, that is a good time for some fresh socks. Your feet will thank you.

14. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Trust me, I'm far more comfortable in flip-flops (or straight up barefooted) than I am in tennis shoes, even while walking long distances. I'm weird like that. ;)

(I haven't actually worn tennis shoes in years. [face_thinking])

15. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    What brand of T-shorts do you prefer? 8-}

16. wookieesrus

wookieesrus Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2009
    From those that want to go all "free-willy" with the foot-wear and suffer from stinky-foot'itus, I would suggest grabbing a small pack of wet-ones and running one of them over your feet from time to time. Should be able to pick up a small pack at Walmart or Walgreens too.

17. ANGRY_LEIA

ANGRY_LEIA Jedi Master star 1

May 15, 2002
    Thanks for asking about clothing, REW. I was wondering the same thing. I'm planning on SW, Red Dwarf, and other sci-fi t-shirts, shorts, and Teva sandals.

Guess I should check if there's a dress code for the "finer" restaurants in hotels! Hope it can be casual, I sure would like some good seafood while I'm in FL.

Martha

18. shakes116

shakes116 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2009
    As a Floridian, who LIVES in flip flops (including to and from work) I would highly suggest wearing some supportive footwear.
    Seriously, I did this on my honeymoon....I wore flipflops walking all around Charleston, thinking I'd be fine...my feet were so bruised it hurt to walk for a week after.

I know they're ugly, but I would suggest crocs or something similar. I know that I'd rather be wearing one of my many pairs of flip flops, but I'm going with something with some support.

Just some friendly floridian advice! :D

19. KissinDigital

Jul 25, 2010
    Actually for the most part the restaurants in the area don't have a dress code. I can think of only one that might but frankly, the area's proximity to the theme parks means most people are in sneakers and shorts. You should be fine.

20. MattDoc

Dec 10, 2009
    Regarding footwear...if your feet stink and I can smell them. I *will* tell you about it.

My footwear of choice is my low-rise Merrells. I'm on my 2nd pair in 4 years and I've literally traveled the world in them. They can take whatever gets thrown at them. If they get wet, they dry quickly (without the stink). Great for long days on your feet.

21. KissinDigital

Jul 25, 2010
    Will you tell people about showering and deoderant? You'd totally be my hero if so. :D

22. MattDoc

Dec 10, 2009
    If the mood catches me right. I'm also a big fan of calling out whenever it's obvious that someone tried to sneak in a really stinky fart. "You smell that? I think someone around here farted!" Then see who's face starts turning read or who runs to the bathroom. [face_dancing]

23. KissinDigital

Jul 25, 2010
    Laaawl that's horrible. Ever have it backfire with someone going "yep, that was me. :cool: " ?

24. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    That's just mean.

25. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    Not sure if this was suggested already, but try your best to avoid the temptation to grab a quick soda or junk food meal at one of the concession stands while you are at the con, especially if you have children along with you. You're gonna be on your feet all day walking (or organized chaos running) throughout the CC and nothing can put a damper on your day faster than not having the right "fuel" in your system.

Yes we all know about packing health/energy bars in your backpack, but those are only good for short boosts in energy. When the stomaach calls for some real substance after a full Celebration morning, or the kids are doing the "I'm hungry" bit, try and seek out food that leans towards the healthy side (chicken ceasar wraps, salads, etc). You (or your kids) don't want to be hopped up on sugar or other heavy meals as you are sitting in an hour-long panel or waiting on a long line with fellow fans to get into a session.

The "leaner" food might be more expensive at the concession/food court areas, but in the end they'll be worth it, and your body will thank you for certain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.