main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Dotting of the "i": The Ohio State Athletics Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DT421, Nov 30, 2006.

1. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Just wanted to start a thread to talk about any of The Ohio State sports programs in general ? not just the football team.

Well, the Bucks took one on the chin from the Tar Heels last night. I can?t wait to see Oden get in there and see what he can do, once he gets healthy.

It?s driving me nuts to have to wait for over a month until the football team plays again.

2. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    Fixed. You have to emphasize it more just like you would if you said the name as well. Kind of like referring to the University of Miami as THE U. :p

3. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    [face_laugh]

Point taken. I thought the cap of "T" would be enough at the time.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    OSU played one HELL of a game against us last night, in a very hostile environment, and without most likely their best player.

You and your fellow Buckeye fans have yet another successful athletic season to look forward to this winter.

Oh, and dotting the I and script Ohio is one of the cooler pregame "ritual" in college football, I think it beats War Eagle and Chief Osceola by a nose, at least to me.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    *ahem* you mean tOSU, heels. Everyone who posts in this thread should recognize that.

Yeah, things really look good in Columbus right now. How many more days until the Championship game?

6. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Not including today - 39. [face_plain]

7. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    I've always wondered this and maybe I can finally get an answer

Is there any sort of backstory or explanation for "THE Ohio State University"

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Sorry, yes, tOSU. :p

January 8th, day after my 22nd birthday. So from my calculations, its 39 days until Glendale.

9. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    dotting the i... cmon where's the excitment in that? Try running down a hill to a stadium of thunderous cheers after touching Howard's Rock.

10. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002

That's just the name of the university. It's not like there's another Ohio State around, but fans usually do it to kind of promote their own superiority. To be honest, I thought it was always an exercise in unjustifiable arrogance myself.

The only time it's kind of handy is when talking about other OSUs (Oregon State and Oklahoma State).

I'm more a fan of OSU basketball than OSU football. They came out strong in the first half against UNC, but I had a feeling the 65% shooting from the field wouldn't hold it for the rest of the game. If they meet up again it'll be one helluva showdown with Oden going up against Hansborough (sp?). They played against each other in high school, so it would be interesting. Gotta figure that OSU probaby wouldn't come out quite as hot the second time around either. A possible game in April?[face_thinking]

11. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Looks like its Florida for us. They barely beat out Michigan for the number two spot on the BCS.

12. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    Here's hoping you wallop those nasty Gators.
    Being a Seminole makes it easy to root for OSU in this match-up. :p

13. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Good luck in the championship game, make me look good, please :p

14. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Ohio State middle linebacker James Laurinaitis won the Bronko Nagurski Trophy on Monday night, awarded to the nation's best defensive player by the Charlotte Touchdown Club.

Laurinaitis, the first sophomore to win the award, leads the top-ranked Buckeyes with 100 tackles and five interceptions. He also has four sacks.

The award was another victory for Ohio State over rival Michigan, with Laurinaitis edging Wolverines cornerback Leon Hall and three other finalists. The 6-foot-3 244-pound Laurinaitis also beat out Florida safety Reggie Nelson. The Buckeyes will face the Gators for the national championship on Jan. 8.

15. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    He won that Laurinaitis because he is the son of the Animal! :p

I am a huge OSU fan. I am actually going there next fall! So, I will get to see the athletics first hand! :D

16. Kavic_Toth

Kavic_Toth Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 9, 2002
    That's exactly why ex-players began the whole use of a very accentuated THE at the beginning, to distinguish THE Ohio State University from the OSU's that can't even compare. ;)

It would have been nice to see Oden debut a few nights earlier, that's for sure. But still, good effort from the team without the 'star'. I think we'll have to reserve judgment on that title, though. Not that he isn't, but there seem to be quite a few ready to challenge Oden for that on this team.

*sits twiddling thumbs waiting for the next victims of the OSU Football machine to get mauled*

17. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, Ohio State (sorry, THE Ohio State :p) looks really good now in Basketball too. Dual championship? A bit early yet, but still, they got a good shot. Much better than Florida, for sure.

But anyways, Oden looks really good as expected, and those other freshmen? Not half bad. They're going to be really tough to beat come March.

18. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    tOSU is now officially tied for the record for most Heisman Trophys.

1944 Les Horvath
    1950 Vic Janowicz
    1955 Howard Cassady
    1974 Archie Griffin
    1975 Archie Griffin
    1995 Eddie George
    2006 Troy Smith

19. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    ...but not for the most players to win the Heisman. Thats the next goal ;)

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Next year, my friend, next year.

Antonio Pitman for Heisman!

21. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    How many seniors does (t)OSU have? Of consequence, that is, so starters?

EDIT: or rather, seniors plus any players likely to leave early?

22. Kavic_Toth

Kavic_Toth Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 9, 2002
    Troy. Isn't that enough? :_| :p

Mike D'Andrea (LB), Doug Datish (C), T.J. Downing (OG), Roy Hall (SE), Brandon Mitchell (FS), David Patterson (DT), Quinn Pitcock (DT), Tim Schafer (OG), Antonio Smith (CB) and Justin Zwick (QB).

So basically, the majority of the Defensive line, the Offensive line and both our starting and backup QB's are all Seniors. And OSU has NO outstanding recruits to date on the Offensive line, which is surprising for the potential National Championship team... especially an OSU team, when our favorite saying is "we don't rebuild, we reload".

Pittman has already said he'll return, because he wants a shot at the Heisman. But we'll see. Losing that much might change his mind. And no one knows (that I've heard) about Ginn or Gonzalez.

23. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Troy can now add AP Player of the Year to the list. Congrats.

24. Darth_Brutus666

Darth_Brutus666 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2006
    Twelve more days to Glendale my Fellows

25. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Twelve more days until Florida's exposed? Until Chris Leak ends his college career in defeat?

Sounds fine to me.