main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Dotting of the "i": The Ohio State Athletics Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DT421, Nov 30, 2006.

1. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
  2. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    I'm worried about todays game against Purdue. This is a team that we should have beaten over the years, but for some reason they seem to have our number.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    They aren't called the Best Damn Band in the Land for no reason:

4. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Yeah, I saw that video a couple of weeks ago, and yeah, it's pretty impressive.

Ohio State is sixth this week in the AP Poll. I love it. In theory, they're crashing the BCS Bowl party and no other Big 10 team is ranked right now. Whoever gets to the Big Ten Championship game and wins it and then gets the subsequent BCS bid will truly be fraudulent.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Game day! Most important game of the year!

We don't give a damn for the whole state of Michigan
    The whole state of Michigan
    'Cause we're from Ohio
    We're from Ohio (O-H)
    We're from Ohio (I-O)
    'Cause we're from Ohio!

6. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Should be a good game to watch.

7. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    I'm currently at work missing it. :/

8. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    Love that fight song, Inty.

I am torn on this game and am just excited that it is a good game to watch. I like the idea of OSU going undefeated, but as a Wisconsin fan I just want Ohio st to injure Michigan a bit.

(mobile sock of s65horsey)

9. IntyMobile

IntyMobile Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2009
    Ugly perfection.

10. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Nice article in USAToday:

http://www.indystar.com/usatoday/ar...yssey=mod|newswell|text|Indianapolis Sports|p

Lopresti: Ohio State's bowl ban out of whack

To begin, let's put in parenthesis all the violations the 2012 Ohio State Buckeyes are known to have committed, to have their season end two days after Thanksgiving.

().

The case is a tad thin, is it not?

I have not come today dressed in scarlet and gray, humming Carmen Ohio. Ohio State deserved a good whacking for what went on the last years of the Jim Tressel regime.

But Ohio State is not the issue.

The basic concept of fairness is the issue.

Bowl bans are the issue. They have been the punishment of choice for eons for the NCAA, and why not? Easy to assess. Easy to understand. And they hurt.
    But are they right? Not most of the time. Not this time.

The Kansas State Wildcats are out of the national championship game because they fell apart against Baylor.

The Oregon Ducks are out because they couldn't score against Stanford.

Ohio State is out because a bunch of guys not around anymore once traded jerseys for tattoos.

True, it was impossible not to be struck by the lunacy of the moment at the Michigan game, when Tressel was lifted upon the shoulders of the 2002 team and cheered thunderously by the masses. This, while on the field, the current players fought to finish an unbeaten season leading to nowhere, forced to atone for the transgressions on Tressel's watch.

Clearly, they still struggle with perspective in the stands in Columbus, especially concerning guys who beat Michigan.

Only, bowl bans are not the answer.

Invariably, they leave the guilty unscathed (as they're long gone). Invariably, they hit hardest those who are blameless. These Ohio State seniors will never have a chance again to play in a bowl game, and so far as we know, there is not an arm in the bunch adorned with a dirty tattoo.

"Nobody that did anything is here anymore,'' linebacker Ryan Shazier said after the Michigan game. "It's tough to see the seniors go out like this.''

Same at Penn State. There were horrible crimes and alleged staggering official misconduct. But none of it by current Nittany Lions, or future Nittany Lions. Only, they must pay. This year, next year, four years in all.

Bowl bans sound good. They're scary enough. Miami self-imposed this season, rather than risk something worse later. But the bans carry an unsettling contradiction. Does not something seem amiss, when those here now are held accountable for those who came before?

The NCAA once banned television appearances, but shelved that rather than penalize innocent opponents. But innocents get penalized by bowl bans, too.

Then again, it is a jungle out there, and someone has to be the sheriff. The NCAA needs muscle, and the conundrum is how best to flex it when the violations begin to stack up.
    Start with the All-American way.

Take their money. Lots of it.

Notorious for their eternal love of a few dollars more, universities would be aghast at major fines.

Cut scholarships. It's a valid penalty.

And make sure the adults in charge get punished. A coach that leads his school into scandal should not be working again in college sport for years. And years. The guy who has fled or been fired, who aided and abetted or at least looked the other way, is the one who deserves the ban.

But once yesterday is settled, today should start at zero. The new coaches, the current players who have done nothing, what they earn, they keep.

Maybe their cause will be hurt by scholarship cuts. Maybe the fines mean the budget isn't what it used to be. They have to deal with that. They choose to be a part of a program with past shadows.

But if they overcome everything and go 12-0, they should have their shot at the prize. If those who stay with Penn State manage to finish 10-2 in 2014, ignoring every prediction of doom, they should not be denied their reward, because of what someone else did when they were in middle school.

What justice is served, and what right wronged, by enforcing the law against those who never broke it?

11. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    I finally got a chance to sit down and watch the game and it was not too good or bad. Fair. It's a victory and on to the next game.

I will say though, that we need to cut down on the turnovers and penalties. That won't get us a free pass against the better teams.

I'm just glad the season has started!

12. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    I'm almost thinking that Urban needs to stick with Guiton going into this Wisconsin game. Things just seem to run smoother with him in there.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Might as well. He's done really good the last couple weeks.

14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Just read this story- apparently there is a local legend sports anchor in Columbus, Dom Tiberi, who lost his young daughter in a car wreck. This weekend, after their game, Coach Meyer and the entire team stopped to hug/shake hands with him. Video isn't terribly exciting, just hug after hug, but a great gesture by OSU.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  15. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    *cough* *cough* Sweeping the dust outta this thread, what with THE game this weekend. The Wolverines have been shaky this season, but they're going to be fired up, and the game is on their home turf. By all rights the Buckeyes should destroy them, but with the weather cold and the home crowd behind them, I expect the team up North to give us a game.

16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Michigan will make it a game. I can feel it.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Well ...

We don't give a damn for the whole state of M*ch*gan
    The whole state of M*ch*gan
    'Cause we're from Ohio!

We're from Ohio
    O-H
    We're from Ohio
    I-O

'Cause we're from Ohio

Juke Skywalker and jcgoble3 like this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Let's go Buckeyes!

19. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Could someone put an APB out for the defense, please?

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
  21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Really glad I don't have a swear jar

But how in the [Moderator Edit: Language] did only one Wolverine get ejected for that brawl?

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Have you calmed down from the end of the game yet, Inty?

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Getting there.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Still 170/92?

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    OSU wins!

Bama just lost!

LloydChristmas likes this.